Kirn Memorial Library

vaceltic

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The owners of this building priced the condos outrageously, serves them right. I've known about this for three months but i was sworn to secrecy :whistling: More office space is obviously needed and welcome in downtown, i just hope the owners learned their lesson and price it as B space, not A space.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Norfolk needs a huge central library as much as it needs half the other stuff they are always trying to spend money on. The current library is homeless haven #1 (hh #2 is the TCC library). The Seaboard building would be fine for the downtown branch and the money would be better spent building nicer community center type libraries in neighborhoods where people actually live. I live within walking distance of the Kirn and rarely visit because it stinks, the "employees" know less about the collections than the patrons and overall atmosphere is less appealing than the Greyhound Bus Depot.

• 4 months later...

this is good news for the city. Granted do to its location and size, I can see how this would work against the idea of working with TCC for a joined library, but it is a shame that there isnt a stronger push for this. It would be possible for them to build a larger building on this site to aid both the city and the college, but the distance from the campus and the library would be a bit bothersome.

Although the plus side of having the library for TCC here, would be the fact that it would make the campus even more connected to the fabric of the city and could increase student foot traffic.

When making a comment like this, I sometimes forget how small downtown Norfolk really is, so I think it would be in the city's best interest to interweave many of these ideas and thoughts together.

This is a nice solution. It keeps the library in the business and commerce center of downtown, preserves an historic structure and fits in nicely with the physical surroundngs. This won't be an iconic, futuristic extravagance. Given the crazy circumstances, it is a sensible plan, although I hate to see the Kirn go.

I'm still displeased that the Kirn is being disposed of so casually. Nonetheless, this looks like a solid idea for downtown Norfolk. I love the idea of incorporating the Seaboard Building into the new complex. Mr. Batten is showing his generosity once again indeed.

I'm still displeased that the Kirn is being disposed of so casually. Nonetheless, this looks like a solid idea for downtown Norfolk. I love the idea of incorporating the Seaboard Building into the new complex. Mr. Batten is showing his generosity once again indeed.

Just a comment: How does one get a start on becoming a billionaire? Locally, by hiring 11 year old kids at way below minimum wages to deliver your newspapers for many years, often times in very difficult working environments consisting of rain, snow, cold, and dog bites. Slave labor? No, but close to it. And by paying the lowest wages possible to all of his other employees(again while watching his own fortune grow). And by using monopolistic, oligopolistic business tactics (buying up all competitors once they become large enough to be semi competitive, as in Military Newspapers of Virginia, Flagship publications, Trader Publishing, Automart Publishing, and Tidewater Trading Post), to the point of controlling 95% of all local print media, and then raising without impunity advertising rates at all of those publications. The man is a smart businessman, but please don't treat him as a god just because he was able to make a billion. And just because he is now using that fortune to buy his own immortality.

Just a comment: How does one get a start on becoming a billionaire? Locally, by hiring 11 year old kids at way below minimum wages to deliver your newspapers for many years, often times in very difficult working environments consisting of rain, snow, cold, and dog bites. Slave labor? No, but close to it. And by paying the lowest wages possible to all of his other employees(again while watching his own fortune grow). blah, blah, blah, blah -- you get the picture.

Just a comment: How does one get a start on becoming a billionaire? Locally, by hiring 11 year old kids at way below minimum wages to deliver your newspapers for many years, often times in very difficult working environments consisting of rain, snow, cold, and dog bites. Slave labor? No, but close to it. And by paying the lowest wages possible to all of his other employees(again while watching his own fortune grow). And by using monopolistic, oligopolistic business tactics (buying up all competitors once they become large enough to be semi competitive, as in Military Newspapers of Virginia, Flagship publications, Trader Publishing, Automart Publishing, and Tidewater Trading Post), to the point of controlling 95% of all local print media, and then raising without impunity advertising rates at all of those publications. The man is a smart businessman, but please don't treat him as a god just because he was able to make a billion. And just because he is now using that fortune to buy his own immortality.

Archived