GR Bar Scene

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FIELD REPORT: The Score Restaurant and Sports Bar

Finally open, we have a new sports bar in town...

Pretty nice in a strip mall location kinda way, there are at least a couple of dozen flat panel TV's in HiDef (not Strech-O-Vision, like some places that claim to say is HiDef) and another half dozen or so HiDef projection units. They carry the Big Ten Network for those of you that can't get it on Comcast.

There's a smallish dining area on one side of the building, an area with Golden Tee - type video games, a room with a couple of pool tables, and the main bar area (full service). The bar itself is a quite large circular affair with flat planels facing both sides and the ends. Really a pretty nice setup for viewing games. There's an outdoor deck overlooking a pond (well, we used to call them filled in gravel pits where I come from, commercial real estate folks would call it a 'water feature'.) There is also a private room available for teams that includes video playback for your own tapes to be shown.

The food menu looked to be a cut above standard sports bar fare, while there were the usual burgers and sandwich kinds of things, there seemed to be a number of salads and regular dinner type items. Some folks sitting near me were munching on some grilled shirmp that looked pretty good. My eye caught a couple of itmes on the menu, White Chili (not seen too often) and Fish Tacos (a West Coast favorite).

The staff seemed very on top of things, as friendly as the business would allow, albit I think slighly overstaffed but we'll see. Mostly nice for everyone, the staff uniforms are golf shirts and hiking shorts.

The clientel seemed to have a good mix, no one demographic stood out. Looked like a mix of Gen Xer's, contractors, some couples, a few folks with ties, a greyhair here and there, again a good democratic mix as it were (BTW - "The Geha" was rolling through when I was there, looked like it was the first time she'd been in a sports bars in her life... seemed wowie-zowie'd by the whole experience and stood out like a sore thumb)

Prices appear to be resonable, I had a couple of 22oz Buds for $3.75 per. and bless thier hearts, it was cold. Didn't look too close at the food pricing, but I suspect it's not way out of line.

While "The Score" isn't going to make ESPN's list of top sports bars in the country, (having been to a good percentage of them at one time or another, there's a certain 'grittyness' found in a REALLY good sports bar born of proximity to stadiums and untold wins & losses) it is a nice diversion from corporate-type places like Buffalo Wild Wings, Friday's and such. I suspect it will be pretty successful based on doing a lot business from the get go.

Here's a link to a story about it from the GR Press:

GR Press story on 'The Score'

END OF FIELD REPORT

(BTW - "The Geha" was rolling through when I was there, looked like it was the first time she'd been in a sports bars in her life... seemed wowie-zowie'd by the whole experience and stood out like a sore thumb)

END OF FIELD REPORT

Haha! Nice field report Kib! The WOODTV staff of characters are peppered all over the NE side of town. I've seen Craig James, Matt Kirkwood, Joe Sullivan, Miranda and several others at the dining places on the NE side several times.

I'd like to personally say that while this is may be a sort of novelty - this was most certainly NOT an articulated desired outcome when we established the Plainfield Corridor Improvement Authority..

The sports bar or the TV people?

(Hard pressed to decide the lesser of two evils... having worked in production for 30 years and doing at least that much time in bars, I'm not sure which is more detrimental to a neighborhood) :rolleyes:

I'm sure the new sports bar is nice - and it sounds like the owners are dedicated to providing a nice experience - but sports bars are now on my "we don't need any more of these" list. This list would also include mattress stores, pizza joints and coffee shops.

Feel's like home:

The College Inn (at the corner of Leonard & College, check out their sign)

Feel's like the West Side:

Joey's Lounge (on Fulton near the Zoo)

For Music:

Sezarac

Juke's

Quinn & Tuite's

For Karaoke:

Black Rose on Monday nights

The Flamingo on Friday nights

Kale's Korner on random nights (digital set-up, huge selection)

For second hand smoke:

The Pickwick

Birch Lodge

For dancing:

The Drink on Thursdays - 80s night

East Side Pub Crawl:

Duke's to Bob's to Birch Lodge to Logan's Alley to Pickwick (soon to Green Well to Meanwhile) to Mulligan's To Billy's to Yesterdog

Random Hits:

Stockbridge Pub

Cambridge House

Little Mexico

Monarch's Club

Teazers

Rocky's

Zs

Ottawa Tavern

Cottage Inn

Pretty nice in a strip mall location kinda way, there are at least a couple of dozen flat panel TV's in HiDef (not Strech-O-Vision, like some places that claim to say is HiDef) and another half dozen or so HiDef projection units. They carry the Big Ten Network for those of you that can't get it on Comcast.

There's a smallish dining area on one side of the building, an area with Golden Tee - type video games, a room with a couple of pool tables, and the main bar area (full service). The bar itself is a quite large circular affair with flat planels facing both sides and the ends. Really a pretty nice setup for viewing games. There's an outdoor deck overlooking a pond (well, we used to call them filled in gravel pits where I come from, commercial real estate folks would call it a 'water feature'.) There is also a private room available for teams that includes video playback for your own tapes to be shown.

The food menu looked to be a cut above standard sports bar fare, while there were the usual burgers and sandwich kinds of things, there seemed to be a number of salads and regular dinner type items. Some folks sitting near me were munching on some grilled shirmp that looked pretty good. My eye caught a couple of itmes on the menu, White Chili (not seen too often) and Fish Tacos (a West Coast favorite).

The staff seemed very on top of things, as friendly as the business would allow, albit I think slighly overstaffed but we'll see. Mostly nice for everyone, the staff uniforms are golf shirts and hiking shorts.

The clientel seemed to have a good mix, no one demographic stood out. Looked like a mix of Gen Xer's, contractors, some couples, a few folks with ties, a greyhair here and there, again a good democratic mix as it were (BTW - "The Geha" was rolling through when I was there, looked like it was the first time she'd been in a sports bars in her life... seemed wowie-zowie'd by the whole experience and stood out like a sore thumb)

Prices appear to be resonable, I had a couple of 22oz Buds for $3.75 per. and bless thier hearts, it was cold. Didn't look too close at the food pricing, but I suspect it's not way out of line.

While "The Score" isn't going to make ESPN's list of top sports bars in the country, (having been to a good percentage of them at one time or another, there's a certain 'grittyness' found in a REALLY good sports bar born of proximity to stadiums and untold wins & losses) it is a nice diversion from corporate-type places like Buffalo Wild Wings, Friday's and such. I suspect it will be pretty successful based on doing a lot business from the get go.

Here's a link to a story about it from the GR Press:

GR Press story on 'The Score'

END OF FIELD REPORT

• 3 months later...

Hung out at the Sazerac last Saturday night - that place rocks. The only bad part was the on-stage antics of the lead singer of a great-sounding Doors cover band - he really thought he was Jim Morrison. Excellent amount of beer variety on tap, including Michigan micros, not TOO smoky, and the clientele was wonderfully diverse. Very hopping place, mysterious atmosphere, cool waitstaff/bartenders. 9 out of 10.

In defense of Margarita Grill, despite it being a bar I've been to but don't care for, there's no mention, in any reported stories, of the assault happening there. Despite the fact many of us wouldn't frequent Margarita Grill, the only mention of the bar is that the victim left there. Down the road more will come to light on the incidents that occured last Wed/Thursday.

But what if the victim had been at Bistro, or had hung out at The Hopcat, which was also open for a period of time for industry employees. Would the story still give readers a negative portrayal of the establishment?

The assault happened near Westen & Grandville....which by my account puts it right near Bistro Bella Vita and the parking lot. Something may have happened here which led to this heinous crime. As for the assailents.....words can't describe what I think of them. But seeing as Bistro isn't open until 2am on Wed/Thursday night, the assailents very well could have been at Grand Woods, another late night downtown bar, and yes, Margarita Grill.

As for the Margarita Grill, I agree with many on this forum that the place needs a makeover. I think downtown could definitely use less college and 18+ oriented establishments and a few more young professional and older joints. Like you'd find in Chicago or Denver. I was at The Hopcat Friday night and I really enjoyed it. A quick "let's check it out" turned into 3 hours and a few Andrew Jacksons. It was great seeing a more mature (behavior and age) crowd downtown. I liken it to a Bar Divani, but for the more social drinker.

I agree 100% about Margarita Grill, Taps, and many of the other bars downtown being sausage fests and about who's the biggest sausage.

And as for closing time, I've never liked places pushing people out the door right at 2AM. How is a patron supposed to feel after they've been drinking, spending money in your establishment, and then being shouted at to leave right at 2am? I would think an establishment would hope the last experience a customer has is a "thanks for coming in. We'll see you soon." Not a "Time to go. Yaw ain't got to come home, but you got to get outta here."

Here's an interesting link about violence in and around bars: http://www.cops.usdoj.gov/files/ric/Public...s/e08064507.pdf I especially like page 24 point 8 about reducing concentration of bars. I've felt the downtown needs more retail than more bars. Stores like a Gap, Banana Republic, and Urban Outfitters. That's another rant for another day I suppose.

Also, upon further review, I do stand corrected. I did find a report that stated there had been an argument inside Margarita Grill right before the assault occured.

It's interesting, after reading much of the report, my experiences at many of the downtown bars and dance clubs is exactly the problems stated on the root causes of violence.

The owners of the MG should really start to crack down on the binging in this place - I haven't been there for years, but remember seeing many young-uns so drunk they could barely walk. And yet they continued to drink.

I like the idea, too, of making this place over to fit a more docile crowd. If that means raising prices and cancelling hip-hop nights or college nights, so be it. Stay out of the DT scaring toursits away. Go to Sluggo's already. Oh, wait. Nevermind, go to Paunchy Pete's already. Oh, wait. Just stay home already.

The owners of the MG should really start to crack down on the binging in this place - I haven't been there for years, but remember seeing many young-uns so drunk they could barely walk. And yet they continued to drink.

I like the idea, too, of making this place over to fit a more docile crowd. If that means raising prices and cancelling hip-hop nights or college nights, so be it. Stay out of the DT scaring toursits away. Go to Sluggo's already. Oh, wait. Nevermind, go to Paunchy Pete's already. Oh, wait. Just stay home already.

Archived