GR Bar Scene

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what I found about the way alcohol is taxed in IL.

• $0.185 per gallon for beer or cider with an alcohol content of 0.5 percent to 7 percent

• $0.73 per gallon for alcoholic liquor other than beer with an alcohol content of 14 percent or less

• $0.73 per gallon for alcoholic liquor with an alcohol content of more than 14 percent and less than 20 percent

• $4.50 per gallon for alcoholic liquor with an alcohol content of 20 percent or more

Unless your glass of wine had an alcohol content of over 20%, I couldn't see you falling into the higher tax bracket. And the higher % bracket starts at a $2.00 tax (I'm assuming for less than 1 gallon and maxes at $4.50).

I'd call the restaurant to find out. I'm really curious now.

Yeah, I can't see restaurants selling nearly as many glasses of wine with a 40% tax on it. (at least not to locals or repeat visitors who know what they're getting into) Plus, unless you were having a desert wine or one of those super strong brandy like wines I've tried at some wineries, I couldn't see how it could be above 20% abv.

Does that mean there's a $2 tax on a shot of whiskey? That's pretty ridiculous.

Happily ex-Chicagoland area guy here...

Each suburb sets its own "special" taxes, if they want, over and above the state tax and county taxes. Those tax rates quoted are for retail package sales. Cook County taxes over and above on package as well, but it's small (like 4 cents a six pack).

Sounds like Schaumburg wants to build somethin' fancy, and you helped out! :shades:

Package liquor is cheaper in Illinois than here, and there's some beers you can get there (cough! Fat Tire!) that aren't available.

I thought I heard that Bell's beer is no longer available in the Chicagoland area due to a distribution squabble...

Happily ex-Chicagoland area guy here...

Each suburb sets its own "special" taxes, if they want, over and above the state tax and county taxes. Those tax rates quoted are for retail package sales. Cook County taxes over and above on package as well, but it's small (like 4 cents a six pack).

Sounds like Schaumburg wants to build somethin' fancy, and you helped out! :shades:

Package liquor is cheaper in Illinois than here, and there's some beers you can get there (cough! Fat Tire!) that aren't available.

I thought I heard that Bell's beer is no longer available in the Chicagoland area due to a distribution squabble...

Off topic perhaps, but have you wondered why there's no nutitional information on beer, wine, and liquor? I was just curious because in the nutrition conscience society of ours, we have nutrition labels for bottled water (I'm still trying to figure that one out), candy, soy sauce, and cereal. Heck, even fast food restaurants post the nutritional information on their menu items, yet somehow all the burgers lack any condiments or cheese.

Anyway, I think the only thing we consume on a regular basis, some more than others, :alc: seems to be spirits in one form or another. How come this is the only thing with no nutritional labels?

Archived