GR Bar Scene

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The owners of the MG should really start to crack down on the binging in this place - I haven't been there for years, but remember seeing many young-uns so drunk they could barely walk. And yet they continued to drink.

I like the idea, too, of making this place over to fit a more docile crowd. If that means raising prices and cancelling hip-hop nights or college nights, so be it. Stay out of the DT scaring toursits away. Go to Sluggo's already. Oh, wait. Nevermind, go to Paunchy Pete's already. Oh, wait. Just stay home already.

I used to work in the building and would hold my breath in the mornings so I didn't have to smell the stale smoke and spilt beer radiating in the lobby. I also had to sidestep the sick.png many a time. Gross.

I also used to notice the seemingly random hours they kept. Hard to imagine they make enough money there to only be open 2 or 3 nights a week and the occasional sun-wed night if there was an event (typically a country event.. dontknow.gif) at Van Andel.

I also used to notice the seemingly random hours they kept. Hard to imagine they make enough money there to only be open 2 or 3 nights a week and the occasional sun-wed night if there was an event (typically a country event.. dontknow.gif) at Van Andel.

I'm a Calvin grad who's at the Derby usually once a week...does that mean you hate me too? J/K. You're right though, last weekend was insane there. I've heard that they're going to start having a bouncer soon too. I'm very glad that business has been good for the owners recently, God knows they deserve it, but I agree it has lost a little charm. Back in MY day there were maybe 8 or 10 regular Calviners who would hang out there b/c of the monster beers, Derby dogs, and good jukebox. The rest of the bar was filled with their mostly blue-collar patrons. Still, it's my favorite bar in town, hands down.

Didn't we start going there BECAUSE of a Calvin kid?.. haha

It's still a good after work drinking hole, before the calvin kids come out and drink their Bailey's on the rocks.. haha.

Being cheap and within walking distance from my house, I don't think I'll stop going there anytime soon

Hopcat again last night ... this place is flying up my list of favorites so fast... had a Unibroue Maudite beer with the tilapia tacos and my guest had a Dortmunder with the vegetarian burrito - my god is this place great. We dropped a cool 50 pretty quick in here with after dinner drinks, but it is a great way to spend tha cash!

We were at Logan's on Saturday and Greg Proops came in after his show at Dr. Grinn's - pretty nice guy, but you could tell he just wanted to drink and be left alone for the most part. Kind of cool to see even a B-lister out in GR - heard he killed at his show, too.

Archived