Worst Bridges in the Northeast

Lowerdeck

With yesterday's bridge collapse in Minneapolis, the question becomes ... where's the next one? The interstate system is crumbling nationwide. And in our part of the country, our highways are fairly old and heavily overused. Some bridges like the I-93 Bridge over the Charles in Boston and the Sikorsky Bridge on the Merritt Parkway are new. I-290 in downtown Worcester was recently redecked. There is some relief planned for some other routes, but not as widespread as it could be.

Example, the Q Bridge in New Haven won't be replaced until the middle of the next decade. The even scarier Moses Wheeler Bridge - I-95 between Stratford and Milford (CT), which last October was closed for a day for emergency repairs after potholes went all the way through the deck ... and still is getting emergency repairs at nights, won't be replaced until 2012. And this doesn't include most of the bridges and elevated ramps in NYC and the area... which all look horrible. The Tappan Zee and Whitestone, along with the ramps between the Major Deegan and the Cross Bronx/Manhattan for example ... that's scary.

So, what's your thoughts on the worst bridges in the northeast ... and any timetables for replacements or major revampings?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the tappan zee doesn't scare me, but the Q bridge in new haven has had some holes in it as recently as within the last year. i got stuck in traffic on it when i commuted to seymour to go to work because they were filling a hole. that bridge needs to be torn down and replaced soon. there was a hole in a bridge/ramp thing in providence within the last year right where 10 splits from 6.

i'm not overly worried though. most accidents like that are pretty freak occurrences. the old sikorsky bridge in stratford was strong, but built wrong. they put the steel grates down sideways, which is why you always felt like you were being tossed side to side on it.

That old grated Sikorsky was pretty scary to me. I'm not a fan of the steel grate bridge. There's one connecting North End to Charlestown in Boston and I hate going across that. Same for the small section of the Lake Zoar Dam crossing (Route 34 between Oxford/Monroe CT)

That old grated Sikorsky was pretty scary to me. I'm not a fan of the steel grate bridge. There's one connecting North End to Charlestown in Boston and I hate going across that. Same for the small section of the Lake Zoar Dam crossing (Route 34 between Oxford/Monroe CT)

• 2 weeks later...

It's the bridges you don't think about that I worry about. The Route 95 bridge over the Blackstone River in Pawtucket for example, it barely registers as a bridge when you're on it, but the underside is terrifying.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived