What's the deal with the "Golden Triangle?"

zenstyle

Here's what's nice:

* Many dog-owners! (Always a plus.)

* The McMansions sit on appropriate-sized lots...none of this right-up-to-the-lot-line business.

*No overhead wires or poles. Everything's buried (the way it oughta be everywhere!) which really cleans up and beautifies the landscape.

* Almost every dog-owning home has an invisible electric fence. Big Bowser comes barking up to the lot line and no farther when you pass by. I'm always impressed when those things work!

The not-so-nice:

*No curbs.

*No sidewalks.

*SUV-intensive housing.

*No public trashcans---anywhere!

*No benches or public seating for weary walkers.

*Hardly anyone else walking or enjoying the neighborhood by foot or bicycle.

*(Sigh)...the too-new homes. You can practically smell the off-gassing from the street.

What might it take to get some bare-bones public amenities in that area? Educate me.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're talking about the weird triangular area of GR township that's surrounded on three sides by the city and EGR and is part of the EGR school district? I think the issue is that it's part of the township, so there aren't as many public amenities and the zoning codes aren't as strict.

It's called "golden" because homeowners get to use East Grand Rapids public schools but pay Grand Rapids Township property taxes.

I live about a block north of the triangle, and I agree that sidewalks and benches would be nice. It's such a great residential area, with attractive houses and big old trees, but because going for a walk means walking in the street, it's like playing live-action Frogger any time I leave the house.

It's called "golden" because homeowners get to use East Grand Rapids public schools but pay Grand Rapids Township property taxes.

I live about a block north of the triangle, and I agree that sidewalks and benches would be nice. It's such a great residential area, with attractive houses and big old trees, but because going for a walk means walking in the street, it's like playing live-action Frogger any time I leave the house.

I believe "golden triangle" was also enthusiatically employed by commercial realtors when developing the higher end shops along East Paris where Daniels/Bone Fish Grill is located...

It referred to it's "prime" location between EGR, Ada/Cascade as well as the southern growth areas of Kentwood/Caledonia.

Not sure how much gold is up in them thar hills...but there ya go...

Archived