Pascagoula

tombarnes

Pascagoula to Revive its Downtown Waterfront

Pascagoula isn't merely rebuilding in the wake of Katrina. This small industrial city (pop. 26.000) intends to rebuild its downtown waterfront area as a tourist attraction. Whether tourists will visit or not is another matter. Rebuilding the downtown area in order to make it a more attractive place for its own residents is a fine idea in itself. In spite of the heavy industry, or perhaps because of it, Pascagoula has a workable slate for an attractive downtown area/ Plans had been in place before the storm to improve the area. Current plans aren't entirely formed yet, but will most likely include a hotel, restaurants and shops.

The Sun Herald

• 2 months later...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

M&M Bank Opens New Branch in Downtown Pascagoula

M&M Bank has opened its new Pascagoula branch in the middle of the downtown area? Why is this important? For one thing, it is evidence of continued investment in the downtown area, as opposed to another strip-mall outside of town. For another, the area appears to have been landscaped attractively. I can't tell much about the building itself. Something tells me I might be less than thrilled to see it, as it is derivative in style- described as "French Colonial." Interestingly, Senator Trent Lott has opened his office on the first floor of the building as well. This is a small sign of recovery for a storm-battered town, but symbolically, perhaps, an important one.

The Sun-Herald

• 1 year later...

Archived