Missouri River Pedestrian Bridge

Rardy

The new pedestrian bridge across the Missouri River will connect Omaha and Council Bluffs and will be "a signature structure uniting both communities in a dynamic curviliear form."

It will be a cable-stayed structure that will be "monumental" in size and highly visible from both cities and the interstate bridges.

The 3000-foot long bridge consists of single-tower pylons spaced 506 feet apart and rising 200 vertical feet over the river. Once completed, the bridge will connect 150 miles of trails on both sides of the river.

For the entire fact sheet, click here>>

PedBridge1.jpg

PedBridge2.jpg

PedBridge3.jpg

PedBridge4.jpg

PedBridge5.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW!!! :w00t: What an awesome looking pedestrian bridge...connecting 150 miles of trails on both side?? Sounds like the perfect place to take a bike!

Gerard, you are a wealth of information! And you have done a great job/busted your tail getting the Nebraska/Omaha threads rolling!!! Definetly thread worthy might I add!

WOW!!! :w00t: What an awesome looking pedestrian bridge...connecting 150 miles of trails on both side?? Sounds like the perfect place to take a bike!

Gerard, you are a wealth of information! And you have done a great job/busted your tail getting the Nebraska/Omaha threads rolling!!! Definetly thread worthy might I add!

Rumor has it...this is the longest pedestrian ONLY bridge in the U.S. It will also be the only ped bridge linking 2 states.

There's not a ped bridge across the Hudson in NYC, is there? I don't know of one between Portland/Vancouver in PDX... Definitely not one across the Mississippi in Memphis...what about St. Louis?

I found the article about lighting too. The Gallup Corporation is donating $300,000 to finance the lighting:

Beams of light will shoot up the cables suspending the new Missouri River pedestrian bridge, helping the project punctuate the city skyline.

Construction of the $22 million Missouri River pedestrian bridge, shown in this artist's drawing, is on schedule. Completion is set for fall 2008.The $300,000 for the lighting will help turn the bridge into the "icon" that Mayor Mike Fahey promised residents of the Omaha-Council Bluffs metro area, a city official said.

Thanks to a contribution from the Gallup Corp., Fahey won't be violating his other promise: not to spend additional tax dollars on the bridge linking Omaha's new riverfront with Council Bluffs' Playland Park.

The $300,000 pledge from Gallup will finance about $250,000 to light the cables with 96 additional 250-watt fixtures. The pledge also provides $50,000 to concentrate light on the bridge's 204-foot towers.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Omaha side of the bridge will be getting a cool, high-tech sculpture. The sculpture is composed of 16-foot tall fibers that are bendable enough to sway in the wind, and will be lit up at night. Confusing, but here's a pic

92607sqwave.jpg

I personally think this is sweet and will help make the bridge a destination park for the region.

WH article here>>

• 3 months later...

I'll be back in town from Grand Rapids, MI with my wife to visit my parents and do my dad's family's late Christmas gathering this weekend. I must say, of all the changes and projects in Omaha, this is the one I'm most excited about. It just looks absolutely amazing and I'm glad that they've made it happen, despite the cost. My mom lives near 17th and Cuming, not far away, so we'll definitely be checking it out.

I'm just curious how far the progress made it before they had to stop for the weather (or if they are still working?). Anyone have any recent photos?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
They're making good progress...

IMG_2518.JPG

Other renderings of the plaza area on the Nebraska side... for which $2 million in funding has been secured...

Looking_East.jpg

Looking_North.jpg

Looking_South.jpg

Another $2 million has been raised towards starting work on Council Bluffs' Playland Park on the Iowa side...

playland.jpg

Archived