Audi/VW moving rumor

ab1137

But like you said, the need or want to go to Greenville has only started to happen in the past 10 years or so. I grew up when Greenville's Main Street was nothing special, and there wasn't anything to do there that you couldn't do in Spartanburg. Times are different now, and I respect that. I go with friends to Greenville sometimes too. My point isn't that there is nothing unique to go to, but rather, the options exist in Spartanburg that you don't have to go there. Thats the key difference. I think anyone in their right mind would want to go to Greenville, Asheville, Columbia, Charlotte, or where ever you want, just to get a different experience.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take a look at this article!!

Here are the two interesting paragraphs from the article:

"Losing the Auburn Hills headquarters of VW and Audi to the East Coast, most likely the Washington, D.C., suburb of Arlington, would be yet another blow to Michigan's tattered self-image as the capital of North American auto business.

And if the move, expected to be completed by April should it get a green light as early as September, is paired with a potential decision to build an assembly plant in South Carolina as a hedge against currency gyrations, the blow would be twice as severe."

It mentions no other states for the assembly plant and plainly says South Carolina. This "rumor" definitely has some legs and truth.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...369/1148/AUTO01

• 4 months later...

I thought the Georgia proposed location would have been in the Atlanta metro.

I hate to say it, but right now, it appears as though the Rocky Mount, NC location just may win out, especially since it's been stated that a group of Germans have purchased or are in the process of purchasing a lot of land at the proposed site up there.

^For future reference, please just link to the original story and not another thread that has a link to another thread with a link to the original source. Thanks.

Also, nothing in that story says anything about Anderson not being in the running, so I'm not sure where you got that from. As a matter of fact, I question the accuracy of that article, which says that Charleston is also in the running. This is something that Charleston's daily, the Post and Courier, denies.

Using a little logistics, both the engine and transmissions are built at separate facilities. They are sent directly to the main assembly site to complete the manufacturing process. The finished products are transported to the port for international sale.

If Charleston will serve as the preferred point, it makes sense to have a direct connection to the assembly plant.

• 1 month later...

Saw this little editorial from Southern Business and Development online about why Anderson may not land this development. Pertinent quote:

Will BMW CEO Norbert Reithofer let VW into his own backyard? It's our opinion that would be highly unlikely. Will Gov. Sanford pony up an incentive package for VW that will likely be close to $300 million after publicly saying last year, "Does it make sense to eliminate essentially all taxes for large corporations and not do the same for small businesses?" That, in our opinion, would be highly unlikely, too.

Maybe BMW has dried up the remaining automotive manufacturing talent with their latest expansion plans? I don't know, but I don't think the argument for small business can really be made in this case. Suppliers CAN be smaller businesses, BUT NO small business would be competing with Audi/VW or their suppliers if they located in the state. The writer of that editorial seems to have a chip on their shoulder or just a negative outlook.

If I read it correctly, the part about small business was about the philosophy of throwing incentives at big manufacturers, while only providing meager support to small businesses. That's the angle Sanford would be coming from (which is a valid point) as it would relate to a veto.

If I read it correctly, the part about small business was about the philosophy of throwing incentives at big manufacturers, while only providing meager support to small businesses. That's the angle Sanford would be coming from (which is a valid point) as it would relate to a veto.

Archived