What New Orleans Used to Be.

JPKneworleans

Not to nit-pick.....but how does Jindal fit into that little grouping? One, he's from Baton Rouge, not the NOLA area. And two, to my knowledge he really hasn't held a job outside of government work (he'd been an appointed bureaucrat since he was in his twenties before he first was elected to an office) so it's a real stretch to say he's a self-made man on the order of Boasso or Georges.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For whatever it's worth, I grew up in Mississippi not too far from New Orleans and my parents took us on many weekend mini-vacations to New Orleans. It became my favorite city anywhere. I now live in Florida and the last time my wife and I visited N.O. was pre-Katrina when we took a day trip over from Gulfport (where we were visiting my inlaws). I'm a life-long Saints fan, a big fan of New Orleans and Louisiana music and want to visit again as soon as I can.

Just wanted to say that.

• 2 weeks later...

Having recently returned from a brief visit to New Orleans, I will share a few thoughts. Please feel free to comment. I stayed at the edge of the French Quarter on Canal Street. The French Quarter looked almost better than it did before Katrina. I was struck by the fresh paint, the absence of the stench of rotting garbage of old and the general surprise I almost felt that little had changed. A brief walk up Canal Street was a quick lesson in how this is not so, in spite of the merry sounds of jackhammers. Canal Street was a shell of its former self, but the brave sounds of construction almost fooled me into thinking that the city is on its way back to health. Not so fast.

A drive up St. Charles Avenue on Wednesday evening was instructive. At 6:45 PM, ours was one of what seemed a mere handful of cars on this proud street. I was left to ponder where everyone had gone. After dinner, we toured Mid City and Lakeview. The overpowering smell of mold greeted us as soon as we drew near. The main streets were better than the side streets, but when side streets are virtually abandoned, it is hardly a cheerful sight.

I attended the memorial service at the St. Louis Cathedral and noted Governor Blanco's presence. President Bush's visit was apparently not timed to coincide with this important service. A shame really. After the service, I wandered over to the Cafe du Monde for cafe au lait and beignets with a friend from the West Bank. Something else which hadn't changed, I said to myself. Perhaps. And yet, the absence of people, the absence of tourists (I know that New Orleans is usually emptier in the heat of August, but still...) and once again the very absence of residents seemed odd and deeply disturbing. I am left to wonder how our government has indeed forgotten that New Orleans must recover. Without its former population base, I wonder how it can support itself. I'm not saying any of this to invite argument or to chide. The brutish reality is that one of our great cities has had its feet kicked out from under it. Who will help it rise again?

At this point...no governmental organization. Those who have helped most are the hundreds of thousands of volunteers from the around the nation, and the hardy citizens of this city who have come back to stake a claim in the rebuilding city. It will be a long road back, but I think another visit at this time next year will show some improvement, and each year after that will show the same thing...with or without the help of our local, state, and federal govt.

Having recently returned from a brief visit to New Orleans, I will share a few thoughts. Please feel free to comment. I stayed at the edge of the French Quarter on Canal Street. The French Quarter looked almost better than it did before Katrina. I was struck by the fresh paint, the absence of the stench of rotting garbage of old and the general surprise I almost felt that little had changed. A brief walk up Canal Street was a quick lesson in how this is not so, in spite of the merry sounds of jackhammers. Canal Street was a shell of its former self, but the brave sounds of construction almost fooled me into thinking that the city is on its way back to health. Not so fast.

A drive up St. Charles Avenue on Wednesday evening was instructive. At 6:45 PM, ours was one of what seemed a mere handful of cars on this proud street. I was left to ponder where everyone had gone. After dinner, we toured Mid City and Lakeview. The overpowering smell of mold greeted us as soon as we drew near. The main streets were better than the side streets, but when side streets are virtually abandoned, it is hardly a cheerful sight.

I attended the memorial service at the St. Louis Cathedral and noted Governor Blanco's presence. President Bush's visit was apparently not timed to coincide with this important service. A shame really. After the service, I wandered over to the Cafe du Monde for cafe au lait and beignets with a friend from the West Bank. Something else which hadn't changed, I said to myself. Perhaps. And yet, the absence of people, the absence of tourists (I know that New Orleans is usually emptier in the heat of August, but still...) and once again the very absence of residents seemed odd and deeply disturbing. I am left to wonder how our government has indeed forgotten that New Orleans must recover. Without its former population base, I wonder how it can support itself. I'm not saying any of this to invite argument or to chide. The brutish reality is that one of our great cities has had its feet kicked out from under it. Who will help it rise again?

Archived