Hwy 81 N Developments [Anderson]

interestedexpat

Per gupstate's suggestion - here is a place to discuss development along 81 N in Anderson.

So I'll start - anybody know anything about

(1) 700 acres recently purchased near 81 and 85?

(2) All the land they are clearing across 81 from the AnMed Campus at Reed Road?

(3) Land being cleared near the corner of Hopewell Road?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

The GSA Business Journal reports on development along Hwy 81. They talk about the Windsor Place shopping center redevelopment, butmore interestingly, they say that land along 81 is priced at the same category as Clemson Blvd, which means that it could attract more retail in the future.

Article

• 3 months later...

I was disappointed by this announcement, I had hoped for a Fresh Market or something similar.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/16252570/detail.html

A Florida-based business will bring 350 new jobs to Anderson County, officials said Tuesday.Cross Country Home Services Inc. will convert an old Winn-Dixie store in the Windsor Place Shopping Center on East Greenville Street in Anderson into a 24-hour customer care center.

I was disappointed by this announcement, I had hoped for a Fresh Market or something similar.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/16252570/detail.html

A Florida-based business will bring 350 new jobs to Anderson County, officials said Tuesday.Cross Country Home Services Inc. will convert an old Winn-Dixie store in the Windsor Place Shopping Center on East Greenville Street in Anderson into a 24-hour customer care center.

While I agree that it would have been a good location for an upmarket supermarket, it's also a great rehab into actual white collar jobs. :) Sure, in my ideal world - they would have located downtown and created the need for more office space there. But the world is not ideal - I'd say this is pretty good.

AIM article about same relocation here.

In that article there is also a hint that another big announcement is coming in the next few weeks.

Yes, but there are several other empty big boxes out Clemson Blvd that would fit the bill. Using this building wastes perfect retail space, instead of added foot traffic to surrounding businesses you'll have a filled parking lot for a customer service call center.

Anderson recently introduced legislation that gives tax breaks to companies that reuse space that's been sitting for over a year. I think last year they lowered the square footage minimum to 25,000 sq ft. As far as I can tell that's pretty aggressive. Maybe that played a roll in this announcement.

I think what Ab is saying is that particular empty box would have been a great location for an upscale supermarket. I agree. But I'm still glad for the call center. If it's such a great location - a Fresh Fields will find something or build somewhere else nearby.

Mixed.

A call center that brings a few hundred jobs is good for the economy. Locating it in a prime retail location is ackward. Anderson (city and county) lacks the corporate parks to attract major employers.

An uspcale specialty grcoer (i.e. The Fresh Market, Earth Fare) miss a great opportunity to locate a store here. Anderson is ready for one, and should have received recognition from someone. Someone knows when and where to open here.

Filling any empty big box in any way should be applauded. Its the ultimate form of recycling and rebuilding cities. There will now be 350 people going to this location every day instead of it sitting vacant. Is it ideal? perhaps not. But its certainly an improvement. You could also argue that Anderson is not in the position to be picky right now.

• 4 months later...

Archived