Memphis FastForward

Rardy

^Ummm...I'm not so sure I'm on board with that tall buildings and expensive stores thing, but that's another thread.

I haven't meant to make the point that I want 45,000 new Burger King jobs. Not at all. I just think:

1. We don't know what Memphis FastFoward has in mind, and we should at least wait until we hear them out before we reach our conclusions. We need to be fair and not hold them responsible for past failings which they had nothing to do with.

2. Memphis currently has around 620,000 jobs in the metro area. In 4 years, hypothetically if we have to choose between having 620,000 jobs OR 665,000 jobs (including 45,000 low wage ones), I'll take the 665,000.

The arguments so far have sounded as if we're choosing low-wage instead of high-end, and that's just not the case. If it's high-end versus low-wage, I'll take high-end everyday of the week. If it's low-wage versus NOTHING, I'll take low-wage everyday of the week.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think anyone is settling on or satisfied with 45K low wage jobs. I think there is a distinction among the viewpoints of the impact of low wage jobs that may be included in that number (whether it be 3000, 300, or 30K). It's not like anyone is saying, "Whoa, Nucor is paying THAT much? NO THANK YOU!" It's important to hold this committee's feet to the fire as well and to make sure they never settle, but like Rardy said, we do acknowledge efforts and progress. It's a delicate balance, the carrot and the stick, but it must be carefully measured to promote progress and high aspirations and prevent disillusionment and frustration. One job is better than no job, but it's not enough; and, frankly, from where I stand, nothing's ever "enough." I'm just unfair and impatient that way because the potential of the city is that great. But I will acknowledge progress and achievement to help motivate and continue advancement toward that lofty target.

^Ummm...I'm not so sure I'm on board with that tall buildings and expensive stores thing, but that's another thread.

I haven't meant to make the point that I want 45,000 new Burger King jobs. Not at all. I just think:

1. We don't know what Memphis FastFoward has in mind, and we should at least wait until we hear them out before we reach our conclusions. We need to be fair and not hold them responsible for past failings which they had nothing to do with.

2. Memphis currently has around 620,000 jobs in the metro area. In 4 years, hypothetically if we have to choose between having 620,000 jobs OR 665,000 jobs (including 45,000 low wage ones), I'll take the 665,000.

The arguments so far have sounded as if we're choosing low-wage instead of high-end, and that's just not the case. If it's high-end versus low-wage, I'll take high-end everyday of the week. If it's low-wage versus NOTHING, I'll take low-wage everyday of the week.

Again, more info on this plan in today's CA:

According to the plan, which the Chamber will be responsible for implementing, the city and county would target four key industries: logistics, music/film, biosciences and tourism.

Groups like the Memphis Bioworks Foundation, Mid South Minority Business Council, Memphis Music Foundation and Mpact Memphis will play key roles in growing each of the targeted industries.

"Memphis means music and music means business," said Dean Deyo, music foundation president.

Benchmarks include significant increases in job creation, wages, per-capita income and minority-owned companies, combined with equally large decreases in unemployment and poverty rates.

Officials hope the the five-year plan will create 49,395 jobs, about triple the number of jobs created from 2004-2007. Supporters say those new jobs could generate $53.3 million in new tax revenue annually for the city and $32.1 million in new tax revenue annually for the county after five years.

Archived