Proposed Heartland Expressway

Rardy

The proposed Heartland Expressway (High Priority Corridor #14) will connect the western parts of Nebraska and the panhandle to the Colorado Front Range via a limited access, divided, multilane highway. The road will begin in Denver or Limon, CO and terminate in Rapid City, SD, and will pass through Scottsbluff, NE and Chadron, NE. Portions of it are already built or under construction in western Nebraska.

connect%20interstates.jpg

(Sorry for the poor quality of the map)

According to aaroads.com, "Most of what I've read has referred to this corridor as being mostly a four-lane, expressway status upgrade between Interstate 80 and Interstate 90, but with a potential connection to the Ports-to-Plains Corridor, an upgrade may result in this becoming part of a future Interstate 27 ... but that would probably not occur for decades."

The road, however, suffers from low usage, with only 1500 vpd on portions of it south of Chadron, NE.

ne-071.gif

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting this :thumbsup: Interesting potential route connecting so many East/West Interstates. And a easier drive for people in Dallas, Houston,etc going up to Denver. Good to see western/panhandle get some props. Scottsbluff is the largest city for many miles.(had a good JUCO Basketball team) Even the RandMcNally maps look desolate in western Nebraska.

Reading all the College Football scores...I always remember tiny Chadron State in Chadron NE.

The Badlands have always intrigued me south of Rapid City SD; would like to see that terrain one day. Talk about a long drive from south Louisiana.

Hey Cornhuskers!!! Where you at?? :shades::dontknow:

Thanks for posting this Interesting potential route connecting so many East/West Interstates. And a easier drive for people in Dallas, Houston,etc going up to Denver. Good to see western/panhandle get some props. Scottsbluff is the largest city for many miles.(had a good JUCO Basketball team) Even the RandMcNally maps look desolate in western Nebraska.

Reading all the College Football scores...I always remember tiny Chadron State in Chadron NE.

The Badlands have always intrigued me south of Rapid City SD; would like to see that terrain one day. Talk about a long drive from south Louisiana.

Hey Cornhuskers!!! Where you at??

Archived