Graffiti

Bears

What do you guys think of urban graffiti? I'm not talking about some people tagging their gang symbol on private property but rather expressions on otherwise bland sound barriers along the interstate or walls of willing property owners. I think graffiti can be a good thing if its PG and/or promotes a good cause. An example of what I'm talking about is the construction fence around the site of the new University Center at the U of M. Will it promote Memphis as an artistic place or give people a bad impression of the city?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the political correct term U of M uses is "urban art".

personally, i don't have a problem with it as long as its sanctioned by the property owners and as long as its not gang-related.

i'm not sure how it would look along sound barriers, though... urban art 15 ft. away at 70 mph? :huh:

What I meant by art on the soundbarriers was something like an Elvis urban art project in the Graceland area. It might be hard for the driver to pay attention to the paintings but the passengers could. Kinda like a subliminal billboard, not to sell Graceland but to help people realise they're almost there.

i agree some graffiti is something to appreciate, but sometimes when it is in inappropriate places like a freeway exit sign, it is most definitely inappropriate and the person or persons should be prosecuted. It's a fine line b/w seeing it as an artform and seeing it as a public nuisance.

Definately. I actually saw graffiti on a speed limit sign once where they changed the "3" in 30 to an 8 and one where they spraypainted Bush under the word "stop" on a stop sign :o:lol:

I also think something like this would be cool along the Main Street Mall

http://www.rense.com/general67/street.htm

Anybody know why this is only done in chalk? Can it be done with a long lasting paint?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived