Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bears

Graffiti

10 posts in this topic

What do you guys think of urban graffiti? I'm not talking about some people tagging their gang symbol on private property but rather expressions on otherwise bland sound barriers along the interstate or walls of willing property owners. I think graffiti can be a good thing if its PG and/or promotes a good cause. An example of what I'm talking about is the construction fence around the site of the new University Center at the U of M. Will it promote Memphis as an artistic place or give people a bad impression of the city?

It depends on the area. Most graffiti has gotten a bad rep due to gangs, but @ the same time if it's used properly, I'm all for it.

the political correct term U of M uses is "urban art".

personally, i don't have a problem with it as long as its sanctioned by the property owners and as long as its not gang-related.

i'm not sure how it would look along sound barriers, though... urban art 15 ft. away at 70 mph? :huh:

On sound barriers I think its looks tacky, and I know that it wasn't allowed by TDOT. I don't know how you guys feel about it, but I like nice clean barriers and bridges.

As long as the owner agrees to the graffiti and it is not gang related I am all for it.

i agree some graffiti is something to appreciate, but sometimes when it is in inappropriate places like a freeway exit sign, it is most definitely inappropriate and the person or persons should be prosecuted. It's a fine line b/w seeing it as an artform and seeing it as a public nuisance.

Yeah, all that grafitti on the Ridgeway underpass at the railroad tracks just south of Poplar always annoys me. It's not art - it's mostly crude scrawlings that IMO should be prosecuted.

What I meant by art on the soundbarriers was something like an Elvis urban art project in the Graceland area. It might be hard for the driver to pay attention to the paintings but the passengers could. Kinda like a subliminal billboard, not to sell Graceland but to help people realise they're almost there.

i agree some graffiti is something to appreciate, but sometimes when it is in inappropriate places like a freeway exit sign, it is most definitely inappropriate and the person or persons should be prosecuted. It's a fine line b/w seeing it as an artform and seeing it as a public nuisance.

Definately. I actually saw graffiti on a speed limit sign once where they changed the "3" in 30 to an 8 and one where they spraypainted Bush under the word "stop" on a stop sign :o:lol:

I also think something like this would be cool along the Main Street Mall

http://www.rense.com/general67/street.htm

Anybody know why this is only done in chalk? Can it be done with a long lasting paint?

I think you can sanction it in special, underutilized urban canvases that would showcase the talent in the right manner, without promoting gangs. Like the dude who paints giant whales on entire sides of buildings.