Proposal: 708 S. Main

btoy

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It would seem like scaffolding removal would be a bad sign... :dontknow:

It looked to me like something big hit the scaffolding over the weekend and took out the corner of it, it could been a semi taking the corner too tight turning right on Main from River. Either way it was all bent up. They may just be taking care of that.

It looked to me like something big hit the scaffolding over the weekend and took out the corner of it, it could been a semi taking the corner too tight turning right on Main from River. Either way it was all bent up. They may just be taking care of that.

Thanks for the info. I hope it's simply a repair job and we'll see it go back up, and the building come down... or however it is that they plan on "preserving"/rebuilding the structure...

Thanks for the info. I hope it's simply a repair job and we'll see it go back up, and the building come down... or however it is that they plan on "preserving"/rebuilding the structure...

The scaffolding was hit weeks and weeks ago. I am wondering if maybe they finally got permission just to tear the entire thing down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This week the City received permit applications for the building located at the corner of South Main Street and River Street. The building owner has plans to begin asbestos removal and the demolition process. The asbestos removal will take approximately one week and will start next week. Once that process is complete, SH Carter Development, Inc. will demolish the building (due to structural issues), running through January.

• 3 weeks later...

The building is no longer. All that's lft is a hole in the ground. The corner is so open. Pretty wild.

I bet that is a sight to see, for sure! This "hole," plus the one which will be left by the Woolworth building demolition, will definitely change our downtown in the short term. I look forward to the transformation that will occur as a result of the new developments that will fill in those spaces, too! :tough:

I bet that is a sight to see, for sure! This "hole," plus the one which will be left by the Woolworth building demolition, will definitely change our downtown in the short term. I look forward to the transformation that will occur as a result of the new developments that will fill in those spaces, too! :tough:

This is exciting! The West End will be 100 times better when this is completed. As we continue to see more and more of the storefronts filled and renovated, we should start to see some of the lots developed (i.e. the Custom House).

According to the Greenville Journal, the "Frosty, man" ad was demolished with the rest of the building. I wish they could've saved it an integrated it into the rear of the new building. :(

Very sad. :( I was a very big fan of Frosty. Seems they could have taken the extra step of disassembling that one small wall and then putting it back together as a piece of urban art in a local park.