Proposal: 708 S. Main

btoy

I remember seeing renderings for the old proposal that was shot down. I thought it looked very nice. It had more glass, and the upper floors had more of a step-back look to it.

The new rendering is nicer than some of the other ones floating around town, and certainly better than what is there. I know some of you will think I am being too picky or too negative, but I just feel like Gville needs some new and more original architecture. I feel like we are getting nothing but half brick/half glass buildings with square corners, mostly flat roofs (except weak attemts for side spires), and little height. I see some of the proposals that some of our peer cities have out, (or even buildings already built) and they just seem much more creative, more bold, better thought out, and seem to have more variety. It is almost like the developers/archtects are afraid to try some new stuff (thanks to the DPC?), "hey let's stick with the old standbye!" I don't know, some of these proposals are "better than what we have now," but it just seems like there is not much substance to them. While this rendering is not bad, it seems like in a few years it will be just another boring four storey boxy building, with little uniqueness or something to make it stand out. I guess that is how the new Peacock design strikes me too. Just my input on some of the new proposals/ designs.

I, for one, am in favor of keeping the architecture of the West End rather quaint and without flash or flare as much as possible.

However, once you step North of Broad and into the core of the CBD, that's where I feel we could truly mix it up a great deal with some buildings of varying heights and architectures...especially in the blocks that are set off of Main. I can certainly understand the DPC wanting to preserve some of the historic architecture along Main Street as much as possible, but I cannot imagine them having much to weigh-in with regarding any proposed new structures off of say Spring Street or Church Street.

Those blocks in that part of town bordered by Spring and Church Street (and including the Gateway site) are very likely where we're going to see the panache, if you will. And I'm all for panache when it comes to our high rise architecture. With all of the like low-rise architecture that's sprouting up all over downtown, we're just begging for something with a lot of character and flare to rise above this part of town.

The Army-Navy Store is a Greenville landmark that has been there for decades. If they could update their exterior I would like to see it salvaged, simply because it adds character to the West End. But I'm sure they will be getting a good selling price for that property, so now seems like a good time for them to turn it over to someone else. With that said, I like the proposal. It fits in with the West End on street level, and the glass and short spire give it some flair - but not too much. It works. I hope it is approved by the DPC.

The Army-Navy Store is a Greenville landmark that has been there for decades. If they could update their exterior I would like to see it salvaged, simply because it adds character to the West End. But I'm sure they will be getting a good selling price for that property, so now seems like a good time for them to turn it over to someone else. With that said, I like the proposal. It fits in with the West End on street level, and the glass and short spire give it some flair - but not too much. It works. I hope it is approved by the DPC.

wait a minute, the Army-Navy Store is leaving...i thought we were just talking about the building across the street, did i miss something?

I think losing the Army-Navy Store wouldn't be good, i still haven't gotten over losing Oh Calcutta at the old Greenville Mall.

wait a minute, the Army-Navy Store is leaving...i thought we were just talking about the building across the street, did i miss something?

I think losing the Army-Navy Store wouldn't be good, i still haven't gotten over losing Oh Calcutta at the old Greenville Mall.

No...we're just talking about the Annex (the big green building on the opposite corner) as well as the smaller red one and the empty lot beside it as you go South on Main Street.

...once you step North of Broad...

Sorry I'm late on this one I was reading your post and had a little bit of a chuckle, because it sounded a little Charlestonesque to me. Anything down there on the upper peninsula is considered "North of Broad" everything south of Broad is considered "real" Charleston, lol. Maybe it's just me I found it a little amusing.

Please tell me the little building with the "Frosty Dog" painting isn't going? :cry: I have much affection for that little piece of art.....don't know why. If it is going, the city should try to save the painting.

Whew, I thought I was the only one! ^_^

Whew, I thought I was the only one! ^_^

You are not alone! :)

Frosty Dog always cheers me up!

I really, really like GvilleSC's idea above, concerning some of the new buildings having painted advertisements. Developers and the city (DPC) should take a joint look at this. Could definitely strengthen the true West End character. :thumbsup:

Check this out. Click Here

This is a proposal to tear down the old Army Navy Store Annex and build this.

20070808094036874_0001.jpg

I just love looking at this thing. So I'm replying to keep it on the current active page.

Anyone know what's on the far right of the picture, the solid wall with arches at the rear of the building? It looks like it may just be monotonous to not take any attention away from the main focus-- keeping the historic character of the building's facade, or it may just be concrete, which would lead me to think that it's a parking facility, which would be great and NEEDED if office space is involved... anyone?

Edited by GvilleSC

Hi everyone. :)

I wanted to comment on this proposal the other day but have been very limited in my amount of spare time lately. When I first read the title of the thread I thought they may be resurrecting the original plans (a shattered dream) to build a beautiful new structure on that site. After viewing the rendering linked above, I was rather disappointed since it has very little of the charm and appeal portrayed in the original proposal about two years ago. Yes, this design would be much better than the current structure, but I believe their original plan would have been absolutely perfect use of that space anchoring one corner of the central West End village crossroads. With this in mind, let me assure you that I stand 100% behind their efforts to redevelop that piece of prime real estate and hope that this design is not turned down for the same reasons the last one was rejected.

Now on to the speculation... Wouldn't it be nice if an Independent Film theatre could be incorporated into the plan? It would be a great location for one. :thumbsup:

Anyone know what's on the far right of the picture, the solid wall with arches at the rear of the building? ... anyone?

I don't know for sure, but I think this was just included in the rendering for the sake of the rendering. It'd be nice to have a parking deck somewhere in the West End, though...and this corner of River and Rhett where Shealy Electric used to be would be a near perfect location for a small parking deck.

Now on to the speculation... Wouldn't it be nice if an Independent Film theatre could be incorporated into the plan? It would be a great location for one. :thumbsup:

In that case, the building with the spire on the far left could perhaps be replaced with something more like this:

1.jpg

This is the AMC Sundance in Fort Worth. :shades:

Edited by RestedTraveler

I don't know for sure, but I think this was just included in the rendering for the sake of the rendering. It'd be nice to have a parking deck somewhere in the West End, though...and this corner of River and Rhett where Shealy Electric used to be would be a near perfect location for a small parking deck.

In that case, the building with the spire on the far left could perhaps be replaced with something more like this:

1.jpg

This is the AMC Sundance in Fort Worth. :shades:

I like that, RT. That style of cinema architecture would definitely fit in the West End! ;)

The Greenville News has picked up the story on this building. I thought this building was just retail and office space....the GV News article says housing is included. Article has a rendering as well.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....INESS/708150370

I noticed that it said he was talking to two national retailers about leasing some retail space...that could be good news.

That's right. I think we all feel the deep sense of history when we walk by it. Tourists like to check out Falls Park, but honestly, the 708 South Main building is the real draw. :lol:

:lol:

Historic buildings are a dime a dozen here in Greenville. Just find an old diary at an antique store with dates of anything prior to 1899. Tear out a few pages, spread around on the floor of the empty building (with dates clearly visible) and take the DPC on a tour. POOF! Another historic building. :lol:

• 2 months later...