Proposal: 708 S. Main

btoy

• 3 months later...

What's going on with this proposal? It's run silent for 3 months now. Are they still pursuing it?

Reading back over these posts, I was rolling on the floor laughing. RT made a good point: "I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I feel the deep sense of wanting to lose my lunch when I walk by it..." :rofl:

• 2 months later...

This is one of the earlier proposals for the site, as posted by btoy on the first page:

20070808094036874_0001.jpg

Here's the newest proposal as posted by adrockc2 in the West End thread:

bilde-1.jpg

And, Gman posted this somewhere else, it's the council agenda for approving the design and gives a better understanding of what will be built on the site: 702,704,708 South Main Street

It will be a five story structure, with the top floor being mostly garden space. Above the current buildings will be a setback of 8 feet from both the Main Street and River Street sides. Each floor above the second story will be set back from the edge of the floor plane below. Included will be retail space, office space, and residential space. :thumbsup: I think this project is a winner.

Edited by GvilleSC

It will be a five story structure, with the top floor being mostly garden space. Above the current buildings will be a setback of 8 feet from both the Main Street and River Street sides. Each floor above the second story will be set back from the edge of the floor plane below. Included will be retail space, office space, and residential space. :thumbsup: I think this project is a winner.

Thanks for posting this. I agree that the project is a winner. That is a super important corner in the West End, which will only become more important as River Street is developed. I wonder where the developer is in terms of financing and commitments for space? I know he said that he hopes to begin construction by the end of this year, and hopefully that timetable is a realistic one.

Edited by Greenville

The first proposal looks like it would have destroyed the existing buildings. The current rendering at least recreates their current facades (if they're demolished).

It will just be great to have that corner used. Now that more people should be crossing River Street, they really should re-time those crosswalks. It's a very awkward intersection and you must wait forever to get a walk sign.

The first proposal looks like it would have destroyed the existing buildings. The current rendering at least recreates their current facades (if they're demolished).

It will just be great to have that corner used. Now that more people should be crossing River Street, they really should re-time those crosswalks. It's a very awkward intersection and you must wait forever to get a walk sign.

It is an important intersection. I wonder if the Zaglins will give their Army/Navy store a facelift to coincide with their new venture across the street. I know the store is an institution here in the West End, but to newcomers it probably seems incongruous with the makeovers that are going on all around it. Once the Clyde and Hovey's store (Green Monster) is restored (or whatever), that will only make the Army/Navy store seem that much more...well...um...incongruous.

...I'm still wondering about that little brick building tagged on the back of the "Green Monster." I've gotta find out before it's torn down.

I like the new proposal better myself. It will fit in a little better with that area. Plus, at that intersection, the "greenville flatiron" draws your attention already. There's not much need for an additional iconic building. I am, and always have been, a big fan of the type of urbanism that seeks to blend in.

Everyone is overlooking one very important aspect of this development: What's gonna happen to the "Frosty, Man" dog? :lol:

I love old Frosty! I've had a special attachment since day one when I moved to Greenville. Don't know why.

Maybe he could be taken apart brick by brick and moved someplace.......North Main Park, the children's museum....... :dontknow:

excuse the ignorance...where's this Frosty? what is it?

He's an old advertisement, I think - a mural of a dog painted on the back side (as you're driving toward Augusta/Main on River Street, you'll see it) of the Green Monster Building. I think gsupstate had a good photo :camera: of him at one time, but it was lost when he had his troubles with PhotoBucket, if I recall correctly.

I agree - if he could be somehow saved and incorperated into the new development at the current location OR relocated, that'd be awesome..perhaps even moved to a wall or plaza at Fluor Field at the West End and then brought to life as a second mascot for the G-Drive. :lol: Heck, if we had a hocky team again, he'd be nearly the perfect mascot for them, too.

EDIT: Found this on Google...Denton or someone had evidently posted it on GreenvilleDailyPhoto at one time or another:

P10100101-798564.JPG

Edited by RestedTraveler

• 2 months later...

Any news on this development?

Not from me. I assume they're producing their drawings at the moment and negotiating leases. I would think, if everything is moving ahead, we'd see something late this year. Just guesses from me. If I had to pick one 4 story project to see through to completion, it would be this one.

Be nice if they just went ahead with the demolition. What an eyesore.

The walk on that side of the street is going to be quite congested. We walk down from the ballpark area to downtown all the time and when you add this construction to the courtyard, and the other one all the way up on north Main. Good signs!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...