Proposal: 708 S. Main

btoy

According to this article, two national retailers might be included in the new mixed use development slated to rise on site later this year: http://www.thestate.com/business/story/1123634.html I'm hoping one of the tenants is Urban Outfitters. Wouldn't suprise me one bit if this is the case as they just opened a downtown location in Asheville. :) Oh and I don't agree with the demolition of these buildings being a tragedy. They were ugly and looked like they could collapse anyday. Almost a blessing to see them gone. The site already looks better because of it. Pic of site:

004-35.jpg

Reedy Square will be located in the vacant lot between this and the church in the background, right?

No. Reedy Square is proposed to go directly across River Street from where the future part of Riverplace phase II is located. Basically directly between Broad Street and Camperdown Way where the empty grey building is.

Reedy Square is proposed for the West End side of the river directly next to the Childrens Garden which is beneath the Academy Street bridge. Basically where the Camperdown Condos project was slated to go originally.

I assume that since this building was torn down, they are redesigning the building that will replace it. I remember that some of us did not care a lot for the last rendering. Anyone seen or have any info on what an updated rendering will look like or when it might come out?

No redesign has been done for the project. The developers are still slated to build the same mixed use project they got DPC approval on.

Reedy Square is proposed for the West End side of the river directly next to the Childrens Garden which is beneath the Academy Street bridge. Basically where the Camperdown Condos project was slated to go originally.

Reedy Square is going where the two story gray building is now. The Camperdown condo site is vacant and is on the OTHER side of the Academy Street bridge.

Thanks guys, I now know exactly where Reedy Square will be. :thumbsup:

As for 708 S. Main, I like the proposal. It will be more modern than the other buildings in the West End, but still manages to pay homage to the previous structure. A little bit of contrast is a good thing if you ask me. :)

Edited by Greenville

• 2 weeks later...

According to this article, two national retailers might be included in the new mixed use development slated to rise on site later this year: http://www.thestate.com/business/story/1123634.html I'm hoping one of the tenants is Urban Outfitters. Wouldn't suprise me one bit if this is the case as they just opened a downtown location in Asheville. :) Oh and I don't agree with the demolition of these buildings being a tragedy. They were ugly and looked like they could collapse anyday. Almost a blessing to see them gone. The site already looks better because of it. Pic of site:

004-35.jpg

Wow, so the old green monster was demolished! We were back in Greenville in December and they were just starting to demo the Washington & Main site. The 708 S. Main site was still standing, and the streetscape improvements in T.R. were still far from taking shape. It's amazing what a month will do. Thanks for posting the pic, g-man!

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like construction is finally starting or about to going off what I saw on site today.

FINGERS CROSSED! It'll be great to have these apartments and retail spaces available. I'd love to see a new proposal for the old Sheally site behind this project. The previous one would be ok, but something more dynamic would be awesome!

There is an Art Market starting on that site this weekend. It is called SLAM and will run on Saturdays, after the regular "Saturday Market" by the Westin. It will run seasonally until October I think. I think that is what you must have seen.

Darn. :( Thanks for the info though. :)

• 11 months later...

Anything happening with this development? Anything? Or is this dead in the water?

I wonder if the City's move to lease the parcel behind this property for surface parking has anything to do with this project? Until some sort of parking is secured nearby, I can't imagine apartment leasing would go very well... I feel as though the City has a real interest in seeing this site redeveloped, especially after so much scrutiny during the design proposal phase, but then also because of its critical location. MAYBE this MIGHT bode well for moving this forward? IDK. Thoughts?

Anything happening with this development? Anything? Or is this dead in the water?

It is the temporary site of SLAM (Saturday Local Arts Market) and is otherwise used for parking. While not nearly up to the level of a new mixed-use complex, the property is at least more beneficial today than its "vacant" and crumbling predecessor had become.

It sounds like SLAM is no longer operating the market like it did last summer. The banner is gone from the side of the building behind this lot and their Facebook page has changed names/focus.

From what I know, SLAM is no longer a going concern.

This spot could be the true vibrant heart of WestEnd.