Proposal: 708 S. Main

btoy

I would like to know who the two national retailers were for this site and what happened with that? Me thinks the developer just couldn't get financing and the project is now on hold indefinitely or dead. Same can be said about Markley Place.

• 10 months later...

It appears that there's no immediate plans for this development to move forward. http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2013/MAY/BoardofZoningAppeals/05-16-2013/A-13-106-702and708SouthMainStreet.pdf

Anyone heard anything regarding this site? It seems like they're content with this being used as a parking lot for the time being. Combined with the old Shealy warehouse site, this is a very an unfortunate gap in the West End fabric. I wish they hadn't allowed demolition, but hindsight is 20/20.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

There are no design changes from the most recent plans presented to the DRB.  Apparently they made some changes based on feedback received prior to the meeting.  The DRB spent hardly any time discussing if the project met the existing West End design guidelines (many of which it violates). There was also no regard for the existing legal settlement that allowed the building to be demolished only if the existing facade was recreated as part of the new building.

They

There are no design changes from the most recent plans presented to the DRB.  Apparently they made some changes based on feedback received prior to the meeting.  The DRB spent hardly any time discussing if the project met the existing West End design guidelines (many of which it violates). There was also no regard for the existing legal settlement that allowed the building to be demolished only if the existing facade was recreated as part of the new building.

There was no regard to the existing settlement because that is not within the drb's scope. Whether or not they can go against that settlement is up to a separate hearing with the city council. A couple DRBS members actually mentioned they disliked the old design and would never have improved it. I myself welcome the new design, the old design was ridiculous and ugly.

They

There was no regard to the existing settlement because that is not within the drb's scope. Whether or not they can go against that settlement is up to a separate hearing with the city council. A couple DRBS members actually mentioned they disliked the old design and would never have improved it. I myself welcome the new design, the old design was ridiculous and ugly.

I agree as well btoy. You cant bring history back once its gone. The only thing to do is place something there that will fit in.

To be fair, the last one was attempting to get off the ground about the time thee crash hit.

Even though that is true, I don't know of any previous experience this developer has which is why I am skeptical. If it was a developer like Hughes or Windsor Aughtry with a solid background, I would feel much better about this getting off the ground. 

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The city skyline banner on the building next door has been taken down with he same building painted a new white color also. 

And FYI...Not sure if the grading going on is for construction or something else. Maybe they’re just putting down grass seed. Who knows. They were definitely grading the site with a Bobcat dozer when I drove by today though. We’ll find out soon enough what’s going on. 

Edited by gman430