Charlotte Knights AAA Ballpark in Third Ward

dubone

In the beginning I wasn't very excited about this stadium in 3rd Ward, feeling there were better sites, such as South End or that Beezer site near BofA Stadium. But now, I can't wait to see this stadium rise. This one has the best chance at being a catalyst for infill in uptown. Especially, residential. I'll miss tailgating for Panthers games in this area, but we're getting a very nice consolation.

And I like ah59396's suggestion...Jerry Reese Blvd. Right above the men's urinals inside the stadium!

• Like 1

They were swept in the Series but it looks like they were #1 in the regular season South Division with an overall record of 83 W - 61 L or .576 WP!!

It'll be absolutely great to have a top team!!

Just curious - what is avg attendance for a Panthers or Bobcats game? versus seating capacity? I guess I'll get to googling that. Knights Stadium is projected to seat around what, 25-30k? I wonder how long before they have their first sellout crowd....

They were swept in the Series but it looks like they were #1 in the regular season South Division with an overall record of 83 W - 61 L or .576 WP!!

It'll be absolutely great to have a top team!!

Just curious - what is avg attendance for a Panthers or Bobcats game? versus seating capacity? I guess I'll get to googling that. Knights Stadium is projected to seat around what, 25-30k? I wonder how long before they have their first sellout crowd....

No wayyyy its only going to seat 12k. I expect it to sell out immediately.

Average Attendance of Panthers: 72,292 of 73,778

Average Attendance of Bobcats: 14,718 of 19,077 (oof)

Edited by Guest

http://www.charlotte...ts-stadium.html

Groundbreaking is finally happening today.

I am like a lot of you, I could see far better uses for this land back during the irrational exhuberance era of new tower announcements occurring every month. But now, it is a no brainer given the activity it will spur in town, and the usefulness of the stadium for smaller outdoor concerts and other events. Plus, I legitimately like the design, and realize now that it won't hulk over the sidewalk like the Panther's stadium does.

Filling in this large block, and having the streetscape rebuilt around it will go a very long way in filling in some terrible blocks in that area. I think it may be slower than we'd like, though, with apartment market starting to slow a bit, but there are really only 4 or 5 parcels that are in play, so if 2 get built up, it will make a major difference.

Maybe tailgating will shift to the land the foundry bought up on the opposite side of the stadium, now that that became an in industrial buffer instead of an urban neighborhood.

It is 10k seats according the article, so 1/2 of the NBA arena and 1/6 of the NFL stadium. That will be fine, as it will have its own niche for events and concerts that wouldn't go to the arena.

I don't believe the ballpark will host concerts of any kind with the uptown amphitheater. I could see Octoberfest maybe going there. It would be pretty cool IMO. Also, another idea that I think should be considered is an outdoor skating rink during the winter. I think that would do well and would be a better uptown option as opposed to the Nascar plaza.

Also, not to nit pick, but the uptown amphitheater seats 5,000 and Verizon amphitheater seats 18,000.

Edited by wend28

Doesn't it have a restaurant component that is supposed to be open year round?

Yes, there is a supposed to be a restaurant that will be open year around. There might be even two, not 100% sure. I think my comment about "no concerts whatever so ever" might be misleading. I was thinking more in terms of concerts, that are just that, concerts. However, I could see something where a show could be tied to a festival of some kind there. That would make the ballpark more active. 250 days a year of events actually IN the ballpark would be tough to come by when the Knights themselves will use ~70 of those dates.

I don't believe the ballpark will host concerts of any kind with the uptown amphitheater. I could see Octoberfest maybe going there. It would be pretty cool IMO. Also, another idea that I think should be considered is an outdoor skating rink during the winter. I think that would do well and would be a better uptown option as opposed to the Nascar plaza.

Also, not to nit pick, but the uptown amphitheater seats 5,000 and Verizon amphitheater seats 18,000.

not to nit pick further but Verizon holds 19,500

I have been vehemently opposed to this project...I too, thought that Charlotte should try to bring MLB to the city. Now since it looks like we will be a Minor League city for the foreseeable future, I think those who thought that Charlotte should be going after MLB should support the Knights 110%. I would like to see attendance do so well that they had to expand the stadium to 12k seats shortly after opening and would then have to expand to 15k seats soon after that. I would love to see consecutive seasons of sell out crowds. If we as a city show that we are a good baseball city, who knows, maybe one of those struggling MLB teams such as the Rays or the A's would come to Charlotte.

Edited by cltbwimob