Charlotte Knights AAA Ballpark in Third Ward

dubone

8 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

It actually looks empty. I don't understand the people who buy tickets and just vedge out in the concourses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every time I go I get the Standing Room Only for a few reasons.... cheaper, I know I'm not going to sit down since I normally go with a large group, and I don't want to take a seat from someone who will actually use it. I'm a huge fan of the Home Run Porch and it is always crowded up there, any chance they could extend it adding more standing area and more front row seating(That never gets used)?

Not in Charlotte but by the Greensboro Grasshoppers ballpark there is a new 9 story office building going up. It is looks fantastic. Would love this for BB&T Ballpark here. 1. Love the use of brick would like great against the glass of Uptown. 2. Integrates well with the ballpark. 3. Balconies and deck for watching the games. http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2017/05/24/b9-story-office-building-planned-next-to.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2017-05-24&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1495654648&j=78247811  I am sure our market could support a building such as this as this is big for Greensboro this would be considered a "boutique" office building in Charlotte. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Not in Charlotte but by the Greensboro Grasshoppers ballpark there is a new 9 story office building going up. It is looks fantastic. Would love this for BB&T Ballpark here. 1. Love the use of brick would like great against the glass of Uptown. 2. Integrates well with the ballpark. 3. Balconies and deck for watching the games. http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2017/05/24/b9-story-office-building-planned-next-to.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2017-05-24&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1495654648&j=78247811  I am sure our market could support a building such as this as this is big for Greensboro this would be considered a "boutique" office building in Charlotte. 

Sorry for the one-liner but this is simply great architecture. The stuff going up around the durham bulls stadium make me quiver with jealousy.

• 1 month later...

I sure hope they can catch the criminal that stole 48K in cash from BB&T ballpark perhaps start with the employee seen leaving with the bulging pockets. http://www.wbtv.com/story/35816167/embezzlement-by-employee-under-investigation-at-bbt-ballpark?utm_content=buffer75122&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I sure hope they can catch the criminal that stole 48K in cash from BB&T ballpark perhaps start with the employee seen leaving with the bulging pockets. http://www.wbtv.com/story/35816167/embezzlement-by-employee-under-investigation-at-bbt-ballpark?utm_content=buffer75122&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Another employee was dressed like this, but they didn't consider him to be suspicious:

SM21513_full_1.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone remember The Coffee Cup in what is now the no-man's land between Panthers Stadium and Pipe & Foundry?
I saw this Charlotte Agenda article about it today, and how it's coming back.

Then, since i was confused by this history I hadn't heard of, I read its history on Charlotte Historic Landmarks Commission site.

Then finally, I found the best Google Street View shot I could find.
I'm reminded of the UP poster's post of Dunbar St, named after a famous African-American writer, and how you can just barely see remnants of the community that was once there, over by Loft 135 near Winifred.

Can someone explain why that entire area was cleared and graded? Based on this one photo the area was clearly a commercial area with sidewalks, etc. Why was it all torn down? Who owns the huge parcel? It's another reason why I cannot support  professional sports stadiums. 277 and 77 construction were bad enough, but the BofA stadium construction was further dismissal of the area, scorching our current landscape.

coffee-cup-soda-grill-2.jpg

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I think Beazer homes bought all that land for a major residential project, cleared it,  then the housing crisis and their own PR crisis hit and they put it up for sale. Charlotte Pipe and Foundry since bought it. 

You are correct.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

Does this mean they are seriously thinking about Major League for Charlotte?

As someone else said, this is pretty standard in AAA baseball. Norfolk has an exhibition against Baltimore every year. In 2012, the Norfolk Tides beat the Baltimore Orioles (although the "Tides" did include a few Orioles mixed in).

Continuing off topic for the Rays as the popular team to relocate it looks like Tampa found them a home in Ybor City.  Now it's up to the organization to figure out how to get out of their lease.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/hillsborough-announces-it-has-chosen-site-for-rays-ballpark-in-channel/2342224

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2017 at 7:32 AM, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Continuing off topic for the Rays as the popular team to relocate it looks like Tampa found them a home in Ybor City.  Now it's up to the organization to figure out how to get out of their lease.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/hillsborough-announces-it-has-chosen-site-for-rays-ballpark-in-channel/2342224

Ybor would be a pretty big improvement for the Rays, but I still think that team is doomed down there.  Maybe that’s just my wishful thinking, but baseball just doesn’t work in Florida outside of spring training (which is the best thing on earth)

It’s just too damn hot.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The investment for the complex on that land for only 8-12 years of use is not justified.

In that time MLB will come to Charlotte and they will want that site. The site is workable to MLB standards with a couple waivers which MLB will grant because they value the location versus sticking to arbitrary minimum seating capacity requirements of 40ish compared to 30ish which the site can hold. Few others as well pertaining to field dimensions that will give the stadium character once complete. You just wait and see.

2 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

The investment for the complex on that land for only 8-12 years of use is not justified.

In that time MLB will come to Charlotte and they will want that site. The site is workable to MLB standards with a couple waivers which MLB will grant because they value the location versus sticking to arbitrary minimum seating capacity requirements of 40ish compared to 30ish which the site can hold. Few others as well pertaining to field dimensions that will give the stadium character once complete. You just wait and see.

Not realistic. 

22 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

No way that land will be able to accommodate the additions needed to meet the requirements of MLB capacity standards to the current stadium. They would have to build an entirely new stadium elsewhere.

• Like 1