Charlotte Knights AAA Ballpark in Third Ward

dubone

Well, when you consider the price of parking uptown at this point, that makes the family visit to the ballpark a little more expensive than it does right now. And while LRT will help to serve this issue (weighing out the price of gas also,) it only serves a small portion of the area's population right now. In a decade when another line or two open up then it'll be a different story. Hopefully as uptown becomes an actual destination, this will just be another addition to the area's growing tourism base.

Well, when you consider the price of parking uptown at this point, that makes the family visit to the ballpark a little more expensive than it does right now.

Parking probably isn't as bad as you think. Not sure if rates will go up once a new attraction like this is around, but there are lots within an easy walking distance that are $5.00 - $10.00.

I guess most of their games on weekdays will be in the evenings so patrons will be able to get parking in the surface lots. I'm just so used to going uptown during the day where the only parking is in the more expensive decks. Then I got to thinking about what you all said about location vs the price of gas and this central location will more than make up for any issues with parking prices anyway. So, I take back what I said before.

Does that mean you can drive in before 10, get a ticket and as long as you leave AFTER 10, you won't have to pay? Or you need to wait until 10 to actually go in?

You can drive in anytime during the day, as long as you leave after 10 p.m. you will not get charged.

You can drive in anytime during the day, as long as you leave after 10 p.m. you will not get charged.

Without being too off topic (although I'll connect it), the Mint St. Parking Deck @ Panthers is free if you leave after 9pm any day except on Panther's games I'd imagine. Not sure how enforced they will be when the baseball games are taking place directly next door, but I'd imagine on game days they will charge as you go in...

Parking on all uptown streets is free after 6:00 as well if it isn't marked 'no parking'. This isn't a ton of parking, but it includes most of the blocks around where the stadium will be.

Anyone catch the article in the Observer today about the amount Reece's lawsuits have cost the county? Almost a half a mil in legal fees...

The really need to counter-sue.

Edited by Charlotte_native

This lawyer need to get a life. If he files another lawsuit, he should be made to put up a million dallars to cover the cost

of the lawsuit.

I think everyone in Charlotte knows no major league baseball team is coming to here any time soon. Charlotte is not ready for a major league team. With all the games that are played in a season, most major league cities have a hard time with home attendance.

There is a very short interview with Jerry Reese in CBJ from last Friday. I don't know how long it will be available, so click quick.

During this whole ordeal, it has struck me that if this man would just put the plan out there - woo us - he might have more support; even from the likes of folks like us (who seem to be very vocal against his ideas). But we here, and most of this city, likes flashy new plans and shiny new buildings. We like to be woo'ed. If he were going about this differently, the "O" would run a front page spread about him just like they did for Trump.

Here's a great view of the current AAA baseball park in suburban Charlotte.

The stadium was originally designed to be a future home of Charlotte's NFL team long before the Panthers came about.

Thanks for the history lesson. I'm glad that this did not happen. What a horrible place for an NFL stadium.

As someone who has lived in Atlanta with the Braves and Durham with the Bulls I have to say I much prefer the minor league team for Charlotte. It is such a different, jovial atmosphere, and the games are shorter because they aren't on tv so it doesn't have to be quite the event it is when games last 4 hours and you don't get home until midnight. Given the lower ticket and snack/drink price points it seems like it would such a large draw in our centrally located downtown setting. All the old-time Charlotte Knight fans I've met from back in the old Dilworth stadium desperately want them back in town and plan to buy season tickets as soon as possible.

Reese has shown his plans...many times..and granted the renderings arn't the greatest....but for most people I have talked to it is the lack of financial backing he has. I think thats what most people have lined up behind the Knights....because they have the financial resources to make the stadium happen.

He won't reveal his backers and he is asking for quite a bit of money from the public whether in actual funds or in land. All of this centered around a stadium built for a sports organization that says they are not looking to move anyone here or expand.

Jerry's motto -- 'There is 'I' in Team, just 'ME'

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw on the 11 o'clock news tonight, the GM for the Knights stated the ballpark will now cost over $60 million to construct (I think it was $62 to be exact) with construction supplies at their current price. I believe it was also stated the earliest they could possibly play ball in center city would be 2011. It really is amazing how one man is holding this entire process in limbo because he thinks we can do better. I can think of a few things he can go do... ;)

Just saw on the 11 o'clock news tonight, the GM for the Knights stated the ballpark will now cost over $60 million to construct (I think it was $62 to be exact) with construction supplies at their current price. I believe it was also stated the earliest they could possibly play ball in center city would be 2011. It really is amazing how one man is holding this entire process in limbo because he thinks we can do better. I can think of a few things he can go do... ;)

I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever see uptown AAA baseball. The cost of the stadium will soon be beyond reason if it's not there already. What does it take for Reese to realize MLB is not coming to Charlotte?

And they should counter-sue him for the difference in the inflation in price and loss of ballpark income for a year. I still am hearing 2010, not 2011, which should be capable of hitting as long as the Reese lawsuits stop soon.