Charlotte Knights AAA Ballpark in Third Ward

dubone

Cars go to parking, and all the parking would located in the exactly the same spots as it would be going to in the current, with people walking the two blocks west instead of one block north to the stadium, which has 0 spaces.   Pedestrian traffic would be fine on Cedar, as it has a much wider sidewalk than most of uptown. 

3rd Warders were significantly for the coming of the ballpark, so it would not have fought against much.  Given that it is a short stadium that would even retain the skyline views of the units that have one along Cedar now, you wouldn't even have that against it.  

Cars go to parking, and all the parking would located in the exactly the same spots as it would be going to in the current, with people walking the two blocks west instead of one block north to the stadium, which has 0 spaces.   Pedestrian traffic would be fine on Cedar, as it has a much wider sidewalk than most of uptown. 

3rd Warders were significantly for the coming of the ballpark, so it would not have fought against much.  Given that it is a short stadium that would even retain the skyline views of the units that have one along Cedar now, you wouldn't even have that against it.  

I was involved in the wards being petitioned early in the 2000's for support for the current stadium site, and the Third Ward homeowners were not "significantly" in favor of the project at that time.

The problem of the practice field site is that it is much more difficult to get to than Graham, and the supporting bars / restaurants would not be located as close.  I do not agree that it would have been an acceptable site.

Also to consider is the potential that there is a commitment to J&W for future growth.

I was involved in the wards being petitioned early in the 2000's for support for the current stadium site, and the Third Ward homeowners were not "significantly" in favor of the project at that time.

The problem of the practice field site is that it is much more difficult to get to than Graham, and the supporting bars / restaurants would not be located as close.  I do not agree that it would have been an acceptable site.

Also to consider is the potential that there is a commitment to J&W for future growth.

I have to agree. I don't like the plan for putting the ballpark where the Panthers practice fields are at either. I think getting to a stadium there is a little too out of the way. Not to mention I'm sure the city/county would have gotten saddled with paying for the Panthers to move and build their new their practice facilities. I like where BB&T is situated. Romare Bearden park, while some may wish it was bigger, is a good size to me. We took our son up there on Saturday when it was a rare 60 degree day in the winter and he had a blast with everything that was there. Plenty of room for people to run around and host events. Also, if you sit out in the bigger oval lawn area, it has a nice view of the BB&T Ballpark. Just my two cents.

• Like 1

It's moot, obviously, but ok.  I just would rather encroaching a tiny bit on the lower density 2-3 story buildings in [lesser] 3rd Ward and leave 8 acres for more 26-35 story towers like we are seeing now around Bearden Park. 

There are a lot of reasons that it would have been smarter in the long run, but we didn't go through those compromises, so we ended up with the ballpark and the park, no expandability for MLB in uptown, and very few remaining lots suitable for high rise development.   In fact with the new rumor of a project at 3rd and Mint, there will be no more full blocks left to develop.

Guess it's time for Charlotte to grow OUT!

There are still plenty of parking lots to build on. They just can't be full block projects.

I hope we don't start growing out any time soon with all the parking lots throughout uptown.

Agreed with Niner National.   Besides - Charlotte's problem has been that it grows OUT all the time to the detriment of the city core:  Ballanytne, University City, planned new airport area city, etc.

Charlotte doesn't need to grow OUT - It needs to grow IN-fill.  

Edited by Urbanity
  • Like 1

Right, but my argument was that we have more stimulus to in-fill in 3rd ward now than room to put infill.   That will be nice when development slowly creeps up to areas that have been forgotten, but 1st and 2nd Wards won't get infill from any of this 3rd Ward investment stimulus.  It will need its own. 

It is great problem to have, to suddenly fear that we overplayed our hand and now end up with no more spots to build in 3rd Ward.  But given how absolutely nothing has happened at all with what used to be pushed heavily by the city as the "north tryon urban village" ( Rennaissance Place-Hal Marshall-Levinedeathvalley) means that neither talk nor uptowniness nor parcel consolidation nor promise of light rail station is enough to make things happen outside of 3rd Ward. 

We have Element and The Mint under construction (1.8 acres), Woodfield at King&Graham, the stadium outparcel hotel, the pre-announced tower a 3rd and Mint, and the pre-announced 300 S Tryon (7.5 acres).    Obviously this will be more than enough to entertain the market for the next few years, but what are we then left with only 3 acres:

- 401 S Graham (the gravel lot next to the Duke parking deck): .67 acre

- The rest of the Trademark block at Mint and 4th:  .59 acre

- The Church and 4th lot SE of Carillon: .85 acre

- The small lots around the Packard Building: ~1 acre

So 1.8 acres is under construction already, 7.5 acres are announced or have active plans by developers but not yet under construction, leaving only 3 acres remaining of readily developable land.  This compares to the public uses: 34 acre NFL stadium, 8 acre AAA stadium, 5.5 acre park, 7-8 acre train station, 3 acre courthouse/Queen's university, 12 acre J&W university, 3 acre Levine Arts campus.   73 acres of current and future public projects, but only 10 acres not yet being developed, 70% of which is already in the works for this development cycle.

There is virtually no hope for the other Wards if that is the level of investment required to get dense infill development to come in.  4th Ward has the quirk of being first to develop, so new high density must push out any medium density that is already occupied, giving it an awkward NIMBY element to contend with.  First Ward has taken on the lion share of social support and affordable/public housing which somehow is holding it back from serious new development, as well as having a malevalent land hoarder for 1/3 of its area.  Second Ward has all the worst of 1970s institutional design and public land ownership with bureaucratic impediments to sale of that land. 

The only cards the city has left to play are those for the 2 remaining small parks and the streetcar extension.  We have concentrated 90% of our eggs into 3rd Ward and ended up over-achieving there, while having virtually no progress in the other 3 quadrants of uptown, and no space left to actually ride out the momentum of everything we have put in. 

Maybe the only hope for some spill over would be for the NCDOT master plan up the tracks into 4th Ward, which would be very good, and could then slowly allow for the remaking of some of the lesser 1970s crap in 4th Ward.  But it seems that will all rely on new public impetus, which will be far harder to come by.

• Like 1

To clarify, I did not mean "grow out" in terms of suburban blight.  I meant break the collar of 485/77.  South end and the hypothetical cap projects are examples of Charlotte beginning to grow out of its barrier.  And, again, by that I don't mean forget the surface lots.  I firmly believe in "Death to all Surface Lots!"  With the advent of the BLE, NoDa is unquestionably going to become an extension of the urban spire with time, it would be nice for 3rd Ward to grow "out" as well.

I agree with dubone though, Charlotte needs to figure out the other three wards before it is entirely too late. 

Latin restaraunt and bar opening at 400 S Graham across from the ballpark.

Glad the existing building is gaining a pedestrian oriented tenant but otherwise, meh.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/02/chupitos-bar-and-restaurant-planned-near-uptown.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&page=all

Latin restaraunt and bar opening at 400 S Graham across from the ballpark.

Glad the existing building is gaining a pedestrian oriented tenant but otherwise, meh.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/02/chupitos-bar-and-restaurant-planned-near-uptown.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&page=all

Why meh? What better use for this building is there? I think this place sounds great and Chupitos bars sound very cool. Sounds like the variety of bars I (and others) have been clamoring for. Plus they're going to add a patio. I am all aboard for this.

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

^ i'll admit my 'meh' was based merely shallow and superficial assumptions about what this place will be. Basically the name sounds like Its spanish for TGI Fridays to me.

I am glad something is going there, I have just hit the snow day crank a few hours early. My apologies.

^ i'll admit my 'meh' was based merely shallow and superficial assumptions about what this place will be. Basically the name sounds like Its spanish for TGI Fridays to me.

I am glad something is going there, I have just hit the snow day crank a few hours early. My apologies.

After doing some research (and asking a friend who has been to a real Chupitos place in Barcelona) it sounds like a VERY cool concept. It's basically a tapas bar (i know we have enough of these), with a tapas food menu, and "tapas" shots menu. I'm excited.

If it has a shot selection anywhere near this http://blog.travefy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/img_01531.jpg WOW

Edited by Jayvee

Seems like a riskier location for a restraunt. Which is exciting :) Can't believe 3rd ward is developing all the way to Graham.

Maybe there actually can be a "Baseball neighborhood". :) I was skeptical.

If I remember Correctly, no retail at the soon to be under costruction apartments next door (woodfield I think it's called) which is a shame.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

I was fine with lack of retail in woodfield originally, but now knowing that retail will be next door (even a single restaurant) changes my opinion. Didn't someone say that might be changing though?

I said that it could, because the planning dept. asked or a revision to the site plan. What the revision was I do not know. The same happened with The Mint and next thing we know there are two retail spots. I'm just guessing here though.

I can't tell with 100% certainty given the webcam angle, but looks like they are adding the scoreboard and/or video boards at the stadium. Looks like it could be one of the final big pieces for stadium completion. 

On a side note, if that 26-story apartment tower behind left field gets off the ground, it's going to have quite the view. Sitting on the balcony, with a beer in hand on a summer night? Sign me up (if I were 25 and single again). 

Edited by wend28