Charlotte Knights AAA Ballpark in Third Ward

dubone

They just announced that Jim Thome is throwing out the first pitch at the opening game on Friday. Growing up a Cleveland Indians fan he was ALWAYS a favorite of mine. This is very cool wish I was going!!

Yippee!  I am a Cleveland fan, and actually met Thome once in Baltimore in '96.

I checked Stubhub prices on opening night out of curiosity. The cheapest tickets (lawn and homerun porch) are currently $104. Most seats are $200+

Ok, people are delusional....

Ok, people are delusional....

Yea, no kidding. I'm not sure who in their right mind would pay $200 for tickets to a Triple-A baseball game -- even though it's the first game in a sweet stadium. I'd love to go to opening night, but there's not a snowball's chance in hell I'd pay what people on average were fetching for a Panthers playoff ticket in the upper deck. Sadly, I'm sure there are some that will though. 

Edited by wend28

Yeah, I gave up on finding the answer to that one because it occurred to me that it didn't matter (for me), while I am certainly there to support the team with my dollars, I'm really there to have good beers and enjoy the company I will be there with, the vantage to watch the game being less important.  When I take my dad there I'll stress about the location more then lol..

For SRO tix, are your only options the 2nd floor of the home run porch or on the grass berm? I have 2 myself, but wasn't sure where we could stand

Even the diagram of the ballpark confuses me, it says they aren't promoting it.

I'll be honest though, I don't think there will be much of a view

Edited by Guest

Stubhub Update for opening day:

24 tix available

Only four seats are less than $200 (the cheapest pair is currently $182 each)

The bulk of the remaining tickets are in the "I'll only sell if you make me rich" category

http://www.stubhub.com/charlotte-knights-tickets/charlotte-knights-vs-norfolk-tides-4-11-2014-4461150/

There's probably info about this online somewhere, but apparently there's a big party tomorrow for Opening Day. At work we got this along with parking and street closing information: "The Charlotte Knights will host their first home baseball game in the BB&T Ballpark Friday, April 11, starting at 7:05 p.m. In honor of this historic moment, the Knights will host an opening day celebration on Friday from around noon to 10 p.m."

Also, I see Roots food truck will be at Bearden from 11am-7pm tomorrow.

"

The following streets will be closed near the park:

• South Mint Street between MLK Boulevard and Third Street (closed Friday from 6 a.m.– midnight)

• One lane of Third Street between South Mint Street and South Church Street (closed Friday from 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.)

"

Edited by grodney

Which Blue Line station is closest to the park? Have a feeling I won't want to drive in for this one.....

Play ball!!

Stonewall. (or 3rd street. I just always used stonewall station because I guess it's the first stop and I like the walk :D ) Edited by AirNostrumMAD

Yeah, get off at 3rd/ConvCenter, then walk over on MLK (instead of 3rd) so you can go past Amelie's and Mellow Mushroom, etc., and it has better sidewalks. The walk on 3rd is more gross. Ha ha, this has gotten really specific.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by grodney

^Yup, I think he jumped the shark with his latest batch of douchey insouciance:

Reese, who once touted the idea of building an MLB-ready stadium uptown, said he favors a stadium site in Cabarrus County near Concord Mills to be closer to an area of population growth — and that much easier for Triad fans to reach.

The stadium could be expanded for MLB seating if Mint and Third are closed around the park - Graham might have to be moved, too, but they've done it for BofA and TWC.  Then Romare Bearden could extend up to the ballpark.  Please forgive the 3-minute Photoshop work:

Knightsstadium_zps439d23de.jpg

Edited by SentioVenia
  • Like 1