Charlotte Knights AAA Ballpark in Third Ward

dubone

Attendance at Bobcats/Hornets games is much more dependent on winning than the Knights are (look at when the Knights were in the International League championship series 2 years ago, only a few thousand showed up). For a Triple-A team, it's more about fan experience than the wins and losses. Also the cost of tickets has a lot to do with it too. Though you can typically find a cheap Bobcats ticket, especially when they've been bad, you'd still have to shell out some cash to get in the lower level or obviously a suite. I'll be curious though once the buzz of the new stadium wears off, how it will affect attendance. Can't say I'm surprised by the concession prices. But wish they'd at least sell some $4 PBR tallboys or something. 

Attendance at Bobcats/Hornets games is much more dependent on winning than the Knights are (look at when the Knights were in the International League championship series 2 years ago, only a few thousand showed up). For a Triple-A team, it's more about fan experience than the wins and losses. Also the cost of tickets has a lot to do with it too. Though you can typically find a cheap Bobcats ticket, especially when they've been bad, you'd still have to shell out some cash to get in the lower level or obviously a suite. I'll be curious though once the buzz of the new stadium wears off, how it will affect attendance. Can't say I'm surprised by the concession prices. But wish they'd at least sell some $4 PBR tallboys or something. 

Thirsty Thursday!

Honestly 8 bucks for a 16 oz and 10 dollars for a 24oz are not that bad. Just my 2 cents.

Honestly 8 bucks for a 16 oz and 10 dollars for a 24oz are not that bad. Just my 2 cents.

I agree if we're talking about non-Budweiser/Miller, etc brews. $8 for a pint of NoDa Hop Drop n Roll for example is something I would pay for versus an $8 pint of Bud Light at the ballpark. But maybe that's just the beer snob in me talking. I mean heck, if you go to most bars or the actually brewery in Charlotte it's $4 for that pint. 

I agree if we're talking about non-Budweiser/Miller, etc brews. $8 for a pint of NoDa Hop Drop n Roll for example is something I would pay for versus an $8 pint of Bud Light at the ballpark. But maybe that's just the beer snob in me talking. I mean heck, if you go to most bars or the actually brewery in Charlotte it's $4 for that pint. 

I agree 100%. Thats what it is for. I think the Bud tall boys are 7.50 or something. I don't know, haven't been there.

I think the Bud tall boys are 7.50 or something.

$9 for all domestic macro tall boys

$9 is more expensive (or in some cases equal to) tall boys at Wrigley Field, US Cellular field, PNC Park, Fenway Park, Camden Yards, Comerica Park, the Verizon center, American Airlines Center (Dallas), or Joe Louis Arena. But the Knights are AAA ball for god's sake!

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

^^^Agree with RDF...repulsive

When will people come to appreciate an Ola Dubh 30 Year or a Carnegie 2006 Porter?

#$30.00bottledbeers

#idrinkbeerfromasnifter

I have a bottle of Carnegie 2006 Porter at home! yum.

Also have a $26 a 4 pack Bourbon Barrel Aged Beer.

I got them for Free :-). Pays to have a Craft Beer Store only 75 feet from my stoop. (Its also a bad thing)

While we're on the topic of the concessions.  I went to opening night and had a few local brews in the mason jars which was $10 each.  I was annoyed by the price (my ticket was only $8!), but figured I would enjoy the experience since it was opening night.

I went again to last nights game and suddenly the mason jars are $12?  I don't know how many ounces that is, but c'mon man, $12?  I'm an absolute beer snob, but to charge those prices to a minor league game just kills it for me as it's suppose to be cheap fun to begin with.  The smaller glasses (maybe 12oz?) are $7.50.  You do get a $2 voucher with your ticket, but it's tough to drink just one beer through 9 innings, or more.

Outside of thirsty Thursday's, I won't be attending any more games.  That's just me though.  I'm not really a baseball fan, and I enjoy having a cold beer at any sporting event I go to, so it's a tough sell.

While we're on the topic of the concessions.  I went to opening night and had a few local brews in the mason jars which was $10 each.  I was annoyed by the price (my ticket was only $8!), but figured I would enjoy the experience since it was opening night.

I went again to last nights game and suddenly the mason jars are $12?  I don't know how many ounces that is, but c'mon man, $12?  I'm an absolute beer snob, but to charge those prices to a minor league game just kills it for me as it's suppose to be cheap fun to begin with.  The smaller glasses (maybe 12oz?) are $7.50.  You do get a $2 voucher with your ticket, but it's tough to drink just one beer through 9 innings, or more.

Outside of thirsty Thursday's, I won't be attending any more games.  That's just me though.  I'm not really a baseball fan, and I enjoy having a cold beer at any sporting event I go to, so it's a tough sell.

Thirsty Thursdays will probably be the only games I go to as well.

I'm not a baseball fan. I just look at Thirsty Thursdays as a good drinking opportunity and the $8 ticket as a cover charge to get in.

The more and more I think about this topic the more I am tending to switch sides. I was always under the argument of, uhhh its a stadium, what do you expect? But now it seems to be more of, its a minor league stadium what the hell are they thinking? That being said, I think once the buzz dies down, and attendance dips (which it will), prices will go down.

I have a bottle of Carnegie 2006 Porter at home! yum.

Also have a $26 a 4 pack Bourbon Barrel Aged Beer.

I got them for Free :-). Pays to have a Craft Beer Store only 75 feet from my stoop. (Its also a bad thing)

Make sure you drink that Carnegie from a snifter; it's the best way to drink any dark beer but especially a Carnegie (I usually get strange looks when I ask for my Porters and Stouts in snifters, but trust me, it's awesome. Join the dark beer in snifters revolution). If you find the Ola Dubh 30 Year to which I was referring, get it. It is about thirty dollars per bottle at my favorite beer bar and worth every single penny. It makes its way through 30-year Scotch casks. It is heavenly.

Sorry for the off-topic post...Go Knights and please charge bottom of the barrel prices for your bottom of the barrel beer selections.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 1

Sorry for the off-topic post...Go Knights and please charge bottom of the barrel prices for your bottom of the barrel beer selections.

I think they need to charge more. Of course I don't think bars should be allowed within 1/4 mile of a parking lot either...

Just out of curiosity; is that a pretty good crowd for a weekday day game for the Knights?  What did these kind of games look like attendance wise in the past?

I have no idea, but I'm answering to say that all seats were sold out, despite all the empty ones.  So from a ticket perspective, it doesn't matter.  From a concessions perspective, of course it does. 

Unrelated:  I saw a woman inside the park carrying a big bag from Chick-Fil-A.  I found it odd they would let her in with that.  There's not one inside the stadium, is there?

Edited by grodney

Unrelated:  I saw a woman inside the park carrying a big bag from Chick-Fil-A.  I found it odd they would let her in with that.  There's not one inside the stadium, is there?

Yes, there is a Chick-Fil-A inside the stadium (although it was not up and running for last Monday night's game)