Charlotte Knights AAA Ballpark in Third Ward

dubone

There were maybe 20 school activity buses parked all round the stadium from Anson and York and Meck, plus maybe others. Around the end of the 6th inning they began to evacuate since school last bell would be their curfew for return to school(s).

It was easy to see the sections that are season ticket sales, 1/3 occupied, and those sections further out that were sold to groups and other single game sales, which were 75-85% occupied today. I was gifted Luxury Lounge passes for the game and there were maybe 100 people in that area at any one time. Capacity is hundreds.

Fabulous day and worth it since my cost was zero. Carving station, salmon fillet, shrimp and grits, and numerous sides. Ovation is the caterer/food service up there. Wife went and enjoyed it, a rare event.

Ended up not going to the game today, had a meeting to attend at work.  The person I gave the tickets to didn't even go.  What perfect weather for a game gone to waste...

On the plus side, at least I didn't have to deal with thousands of screaming children.  *shakes cane*

At the old park, Thirsty Thursday was $1 for a small (12oz?) draft macro.  Then the final year (last year), Thirsty Thursday was $2 for a small draft, but there was more than macros, as I distinctly remember getting a NB Ranger IPA.  However, I also know that OMB was *not* included in the $1 deal, and I'm pretty sure they weren't in the $2 deal last year.

Sooooo, any hope the local craft beers are included in Thirsty Thursday at the new park?  Anybody know from last Thursday?

"

Thirsty Thursdays presented by Hickory Tavern, make their BB&T Ballpark debut on Thursday, April 17. Fans 21 and over can enjoy $3 small draft beers until the end of the 7th inning. The Knights will have 10 Thirsty Thursdays this season.

"

A really cool interactive map: fan favorite MLB teams at the zip code level:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/24/upshot/facebook-baseball-map.html

The grey area over most of NC, VA, and part of SC = NY Yankees. Not the Braves or Natonals. I never would have guessed.

Are you sure that the gray doesn't mean "no strong preference"? The same color is abundant in New Mexico and Utah... Which are also kind of in mlb no-man's land as well. Edited by MilZ

That is really awesome! Also, went to the Knights game tonight, another sold out crowd and great win! Great vibe and love the thirsty thursday

Jayvee, can you confirm what beers you could get for the $3 price?  Craft beers (OMB, NoDa, etc) or just the bud light, coors light, etc?  And what size?

Jayvee, can you confirm what beers you could get for the $3 price?  Craft beers (OMB, NoDa, etc) or just the bud light, coors light, etc?  And what size?

I couldn't tell you the exact size but it was a little smaller than a regular solo cup, and it was just domestic drafts at the main stands (so, bud light, miller lite)

Miller light and Bud light.  12oz plastic cups.  Still not a bad deal.  

Ha beat me to it....sure 12 oz, yeah a great deal.

Edited by Jayvee

No craft eligible for thirsty Thursdays. Craft beers from Olde Meck and Noda are $7.50 for a 16oz (I assume the foothills and Natty Greens are the same). I have no problems with those prices. Last night was a sold out, record crowd and there was no shortage of people enjoying a cocktail...or three.

Another big plus is that the parking lots around stadium are not not gouging at all. $4 and I was so close I could actually see in the stadium from my parking spot. 

I got a kick out of the fire department driving a truck over to the side of the stadium and had 4-5 fireman sitting on the roof of the truck watching the game. 

A really cool interactive map: fan favorite MLB teams at the zip code level:  

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/24/upshot/facebook-baseball-map.html

The grey area over most of NC, VA, and part of SC = NY Yankees.  Not the Braves or Natonals.  I never would have guessed.  

I'm not surprised at all by the number of Yankees and Red Sox fans there are given how many northeastern transplants live down here... Also, they are two of the more "bandwagon" franchises in baseball. 

No craft eligible for thirsty Thursdays. Craft beers from Olde Meck and Noda are $7.50 for a 16oz (I assume the foothills and Natty Greens are the same). I have no problems with those prices. Last night was a sold out, record crowd and there was no shortage of people enjoying a cocktail...or three.

Another big plus is that the parking lots around stadium are not not gouging at all. $4 and I was so close I could actually see in the stadium from my parking spot. 

I got a kick out of the fire department driving a truck over to the side of the stadium and had 4-5 fireman sitting on the roof of the truck watching the game. 

Good news on the parking. Sounds the Knights did what they said they would do with regard to reasonable pricing there.. I know that was one of the things the negative nellies were complaining about. "Oh, it's now going to cost $20 to park. I won't want to walk to and from the stadium at night for fear of getting mugged and stabbed." Sigh. 

Sort of off topic, but related.....I went to the Ballet last knight to see Othello.  Wow, fast moving and very sensual!  The tie in to the baseball topic is that an announcement was sent to all ticket holders to remind them that parking would be tight due to a Charlotte Knights game the same evening!

Oh My!

Where did you get this stat? Just curious

Found for the International League.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=l_att&lid=117&sid=l117

Here is Pacific Coast.  You'll see they do not exceed Charlotte's attendance from the previous link.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=l_att&lid=112&sid=l112

• Like 1

No craft eligible for thirsty Thursdays. Craft beers from Olde Meck and Noda are $7.50 for a 16oz (I assume the foothills and Natty Greens are the same).

Are you sure its 16oz? Felt like less to me.

If my memory is correct I measured the small cups as exactly half the mason jar, which makes them 12 oz

Edited by kermit

Are you sure its 16oz? Felt like less to me.

If my memory is correct I measured the small cups as exactly half the mason jar, which makes them 12 oz

Not 100% sure on the exact size (just my experience) but the Olde Meck and Noda are not served in the "small" cup that the Bud/Miller are served in. It is most definitely a bigger cup that what I saw others with on Thirsty Thursday.

Did you tailgate?  Did you see anyone tailgating?  Just curious if I'll be able to grill some dogs and have some beers before heading over to the game?