Charlotte Knights AAA Ballpark in Third Ward

dubone

The Durham Bulls have been in their downtown stadium for going on 20 years and they still record quite a few sellouts each year (though certainly not 15 sellouts by early June.) The stadium is a 10,000 seater just like Charlotte, and Durham is much smaller. The bulls had 8 sellouts last year with an average attendance of 7125.

The stadium in Durham helped substantially to contribute to the vitality of the area and the draw of the American Tobacco District. For football stadiums, it's dubious whether they really belong in a central location. But baseball stadiums - there's no question whatsoever.

So I was at the game last night and one of the promotions was a "Royal Race," kind of like the Milwaukee Brewers Sausage Race.  The Knights had three characters: Queen Charlotte, King Mecklenburg (don't know why it couldn't be King George), and Jerry the Jester.  There's no way that wasn't a dig at Jerry Reese. 

WOW that is absolutely amazing

• 3 weeks later...

Article about "big-league" concession sales at Knights games:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2014/06/charlotte-knights-enjoy-big-league-concession.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+industry_11+(Industry+Sports)

Selected quotes:

"the minor-league baseball franchise has increased per-person sales to $13.50, up from $11.50 in 2013"

"Based on those figures, the Knights previously sold $44,000 worth of concessions, on average, for home games. So far this season, the haul for each game hovers near $130,000."

"My highly unscientific survey of other teams in the International League shows the biggest disparity in beer prices. Other than $3 Thirsty Thursday drafts, beer at Knights games costs $7 to $11. Compare that with $5.25 to $7.25 for the Gwinnett Braves, according to the price list the team sent me, and $3 to $7.50 at Durham Bulls games. In Pawtucket and Louisville, beer prices are $6 to $6.75. In Scranton-Wilkes Barre, $4 to $7.50."

"“I have had very little push-back on prices,” Rajkowski said."

Yeah but what beer do they sell? I'm pretty happy to pay that price for 2 great craft beers. The selection is pretty awesome for a minor league team.

Nah, the selection is no better (and maybe a bit worse) than what is available at the ballparks in Winston-Salem and Greensboro. Their prices are actually reasonable too.

Just 45 home games into its season, Charlotte breaks a 21-year-old attendance record of 429,132.

Jeeeze, could the Knights sue Reese, for loss of profits over past 4-5 years of him stopping this deal from happening?

Just 45 home games into its season, Charlotte breaks a 21-year-old attendance record of 429,132.

Jeeeze, could the Knights sue Reese, for loss of profits over past 4-5 years of him stopping this deal from happening?

God I hope so, I actually have 2 friends that are lawyers, we can look into this.

Edited by Jayvee

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to five games so far this year. When the season started I really wanted to make the Knights a habit (three or four games a month), unfortunately I am having trouble warming up to the ballpark and the team. I am not giving up on going to games, but I do feel a little let down by the game experience.

I think my problem is that the Knights (organization) are 'tweeners. ' They act a little major-league and a little minor-league, unfortunately they picked the worst parts of each. I think the team's split-personality goes something like this:

Major League:

• Ballpark setting (its spectacular, probably better than the majority of MLB stadiums)
  • Beer prices (my previously noted pet peeve)
  • Between innings stuff (there really isn't much of note at the Knights. Nothing the do is particularly creative, clever or interesting. Much like at MLB. To me, goofy promotions are and expected part of minor league games)
  • Crowds / ticket availability (granted this is probably a 'first' year issue, but part of the charm of the minors is elbow room inside the ballpark)

Minor League:

• Play quality (at the beginning of the year they were playing Class A ball, but they have been improving lately)
  • Seating (sightlines are awful in the non season-ticket holder section)
  • Stadium design (there is little of interest inside the fences)
  • A lack of activity outside the gates of the stadium (although this isn't entirely the Knights fault). Visible food trucks, bars and vendors would be welcome

While there is lots that is good about the new ballpark (ticket prices, concessions variety, etc.),  I think they have decided to cruse through their first year and have not found their niche. I hope after this season they are able to tweak the game experience (get a better promotions / event guy), make some adjustments to seating and embrace their minor league status. I think the Knights can be a great model for the top level of contemporary minor-league ball, but only if they can steer clear of the worst aspects of the majors. 

(apologies for whining)

• 2 weeks later...

David is great. I organized a big group purchase for his Charlotte 49ers stadium painting on the Niner's fan forum. He got about $2000 in business from us and he gave us great deals.

He was actually painting this piece (or one very similar, he has two that are similar) when I went over to his studio to pick all the purchases up.

• 2 weeks later...

^ groovy! (plus they are about to outdraw the 2013 Bobcats)

In other Knights news they sent me a survey today asking about what would make 'me' go to more games (you can take it here: https://milb.survey-milb.com/se.ashx?s=3D612FF8237BA24A )

I found it interesting that (based on the number of questions asked) they seem to be very concerned about fan's perceptions of difficulty accessing games (mostly related to parking) and their sense of safety at games. This residual suburban mentality disappointed me a bit, its not like they can (or should) move back to Ft. Mill. They need to embrace their location.

Needless to say I complained about beer prices.

Edited by kermit