Charlotte Knights AAA Ballpark in Third Ward

dubone

Knights had a VIP Batting Practice event for season ticket holders last night.  Unfortunately, due to wet grounds, we had to use the indoor batting cages under the stands behind the dugout.  I have not swung a bat in 15 years, and it showed, but was loads of fun.  The full buffet was easier for me to handle than the 45 mph lobs by the batting practice pitcher!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Observer has a brief editorial / blog thing discussing the Knights first season in BB&T. While I consider the city and county's investment in BB&T to one of its best uses of tax dollars (along with the blue line), the Observer raises an interesting point about those incentives. The Knights spectacular attendance suggests that those incentives might not have been necessary after all. The Knights had such a great year, and have the promise of more, that they perhaps could have (and would have) paid the full cost of their new stadium after all.

The Knights organization had a great year, and I don't want to detract from that. However, I think the Observer has a valid point.

http://obsdailyviews.blogspot.com/2014/09/was-charlotte-right-to-invest-in-knights.html

And, since I can't post about the Knights without b!tching about beer prices the article included this nugget:

....and people might become less inclined to pay uncommonly high concession prices for a minor-league team. (That was the one consistent grumble we heard all season.)  

Edited by kermit

not yet, but soon!

Soon. That's a very subjective word here and since following UP religiously since 2008 checking 3x daily... I've come to assume soon means ~5 months.

Edit: Is this going to be the 12 floor hotel?

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

Well, the Knights finished went from worst to first in terms of attendance in all MiLB this year and probably could have drawn 750k-800k fans had they built a stadium the size of Indy's. I did read an article (below) that says they may be adding capacity next year. Does anyone have any information regarding how many they can add?

At any rate congratulations to the Knights, and I hope they continue to be a smash hit and build fans for the sport of baseball. If they manage to have another couple of years like this, I think we will definitely be a top contender to get a MLB expansion/relocation in the next 10-15 years assuming there is an expansion or relocation in that time frame.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2014/09/knights-beat-projections-in-first-season-uptown.html?page=2

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 1

If memory serves, they can add something like 1000-2000 by extending the stands along graham st. Don't quote me tho.

I imagine they could also expand the deck with the standing room only tickets if they really wanted / needed to.

What was their W/L standings as a team?

like 60-80. It wasn't good.

• 2 weeks later...

rode by the BB&T this morning before the Panthers game (around 11:30). They had the main entrance open and they had the dippin dots cart and one mobile soft drink stand going. No evidence of beer at that hour (but I did not go inside the park). It looked like there were about 20 people inside.

Bearden was hopping however.

(I am really happy that the Knights decided to open up on Panthers game days, but I suspect it will be a struggle to get momentum. )

It will be interesting to see how attendance is next year if the on field product doesn't get any better, and unfortunately for farm league teams, that is really out of their control other than coaching.

I don't think the majority of people going really care about the W/L on the field. I'm not sure this is a big factor.

• Like 1

I don't think the majority of people going really care about the W/L on the field. I'm not sure this is a big factor.

Yep. They don't. Minor League ball is more about entertainment and purity of the game (for the diehards). Wins and losses are secondary or even tertiary. Attendance will continue to be strong, especially as 3rd Ward continues to build out and games are affordable.

• 1 month later...

I give them lots of credit for trying, but it appears the Knights efforts at attracting the Panthers pregame crowd have ended. There was nothing going on around noon today other than one small sandwich board sign in front of the yogurt shop advertising 'drinks and snacks.' The yogurt shop appeared to be the only open entryway. 

EDIT: looks like I may have overlooked the real action. Thanks for the second set of eyes Tarhoosier

Edited by kermit

I was on my bike downtown pre-game and rode around Knights Stadium. The gates were open and there were some people clustered in the right field Home Run Porch area that overlooks Bearden and South toward Panther Stadium. It appears that was the only area available. No one seen anywhere else. Maybe 100 people there. Signs at the main entrance said no outside drink or food allowed. Some people walked up to the gate but left when they saw admission was apparently charged.