Charlotte Knights AAA Ballpark in Third Ward

dubone

16 minutes ago, JBS said:

Better as it is, IMO.  Rather have it mostly full on weekdays and at capacity on weekends than half empty ever.  I hope that when we get MLB (now convinced it will happen in the next 20 years), we build the smallest ballpark in the country (~30,000).  I love the intimacy of the smaller parks and the lack of empty seats that were built strictly for weekends and opening day.

Could be in the minority but I hope Charlotte never gets a MLB team.  Mostly a selfish perspective, as I am not a real baseball fan, in not wanting to pay MLB prices to go to a game where 'everything but the game itself' is why I am going.  

• Like 1

It's funny because if you count the people actually in the stands and White Sux games...there are more in Charlotte! lol...Season ticket holders never show up. The other day, it was a cold day in Chicago and only 200 fans showed up! Half of them had Cubs shirts on...

Edited by RaleighHeelsfan

38 minutes ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

It's funny because if you count the people actually in the stands and White Sux games...there are more in Charlotte! lol...Season ticket holders never show up. The other day, it was a cold day in Chicago and only 200 fans showed up! Half of them had Cubs shirts on...

And the Marlins (in a new stadium) and Rays continue to draw very poorly.  Cleveland, Oakland and KC also attract few fans in typical years (excluding when they have playoff teams in some cases).  Of all of these, only the Rays could move here (though they are in stadium talks in FL annually).  Being in a division with Boston, NY and Toronto would be difficult for a small market team.  Getting the WS would be better and Chicago would still have the Cubs.  As bad as the South Side is, I can't see them leaving that market despite the tepid fan support at games.  The Royals would fit also (the name is perfect!) but I hope they never leave KC.  Of all the US markets, I think only Portland would be competition for an expansion team (Montreal will get a team with a stadium commitment).  It's a short list and we're on it.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think that a team like the White Sox will move to Charlotte well before any MLB expansion.   

Charlotte White Sox does kind of roll of the tongue nicely though I wouldn't be against a more city specific name change, like the Charlotte Queens, though that could open us up to some distasteful jokes surrounding our players' sexuality. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nakers2 said:

Charlotte White Sox does kind of roll of the tongue nicely though I wouldn't be against a more city specific name change, like the Charlotte Queens, though that could open us up to some distasteful jokes surrounding our players' sexuality. 

I definitely don’t envision Charlotte Queens happening.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think that a team like the White Sox will move to Charlotte well before any MLB expansion.   

I hope they don't but if they do it would be awesome if we 'borrowed' the stadium that never was for them....

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/the-white-sox-ballpark-in-chicago-that-never-was-and-could-have-changed-history/

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, asthasr said:

What is the best place to buy in the park for cheap, shaded seats? I was thinking of taking my son to see a game, but the cheap seats are all unsheltered, as far as I can tell, and the sheltered ones are $30 a seat;

That does not sound right...

You will get shade in sections 104-108 in row P  -- I believe -- and the later the game is the more shade.. so you can move up more, but for a 1 pm game row P works for us. (and these should be $16)

The Home Run seats in HR4 and HR5 work as well at $14 per seat.

http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp?ymd=20140303&content_id=68650100&sid=t494&vkey=tickets

Edited by Scribe
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, asthasr said:

What is the best place to buy in the park for cheap, shaded seats? I was thinking of taking my son to see a game, but the cheap seats are all unsheltered, as far as I can tell, and the sheltered ones are $30 a seat; seems a little high to take a little kid to...

I really like the HR seats  (HR4 and 5) for day games -- you get good shade the whole game and a decent breeze. Conversely, these seats are awful for the first hour of mid summer night games because the sun is low enough to shine directly on them.  The third base line seats are well shaded for 7pm games.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally got to my first game of the year last night. A few miscellaneous observations:

• I rode a scooter there from Dilworth. (and the Blue Line is damn near useless for the ballpark given its distance and post-9pm frequencies)
  • As much as I beotched about beer prices when the park opened they have held the line and now an $8 can of decent craft seems positively reasonable now that we live in a world of $6 and $7 pints at breweries. Selection is much improved this year as well.
  • For a Monday night game it was pretty crowded
  • The new Graham street place across the street from the ballpark was packed at the start of the game, during the game and when I left in the 8th.

I was was at a game in Wrigley Field the week before, I gotta say that, even in comparison to that cathedral, BB&T remains a fine place to watch baseball (despite the Knights blowing chunks for the first three innings)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just what are the odds that BB&T Ballpark could be used for some level of Cricket League play in the coming years? Anyone familiar?

A quick Google search brings up a half dozen local Charlotte regional leagues, and then there are collegiate leagues and some national leagues around. There is a significant Indian/Pakistani population alone in CLT.

The second most popular sport in the world could be a great use for a stadium originally built for a sport that is arguably dying, eh?

Edited by SgtCampsalot

I think it’s a pipe dream. That said, the only sliver I keep as plausible is because of the dead silence on dev plans for the berm. The silence and movement on that for 5 years tells me options are being kept open.

For those of you who say can’t be mlb on that site I point you to my long history in this thread of disagreement and why yes can be.

11 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

I think it’s a pipe dream. That said, the only sliver I keep as plausible is because of the dead silence on dev plans for the berm. The silence and movement on that for 5 years tells me options are being kept open.

For those of you who say can’t be mlb on that site I point you to my long history in this thread of disagreement and why yes can be.

Are you saying an MLB sized field/stadium can fit on this current site?  I thought folks smarter than I said this block is too small to support even a small MLB Stadium.

Edited by Hushpuppy321