Charlotte Knights AAA Ballpark in Third Ward

dubone

8 hours ago, King of the Queen City said:

StubHub Center is in fact a temporary fix, but that’s not the problem. The problem is that there are no Chargers fans to start with because nobody in LA wanted them and they alienated their fan base in San Diego.  The Rams had a long history in LA before moving to St. Louis, so they had something to build on when they moved back.  The Rams also moved to LA one year earlier than the Chargers so they had a head start. It was not a horrible example because fans of the opposing teams are traveling from all over the country to go see a game against the Chargers specifically for the intimate experience that will likely not be replicated in the NFL ever again. This has been well documented both last year and this year.  You have completely missed my point, which was to say that a small stadium can provide a unique experience.

https://www.axs.com/stubhub-center-makes-for-intimate-nfl-football-experience-like-none-ot-122258

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/17/16152772/chargers-stubhub-center-small-stadium-nfl

https://youtu.be/wn-y2lqC3gQ

Sure. But you don't grow a fan base out of a temporary stadium site in your impressionable first 2 years. MY POINT of this stadium being a non starter.

5 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Sure. But you don't grow a fan base out of a temporary stadium site in your impressionable first 2 years. MY POINT of this stadium being a non starter.

Plus, I suspect the city is beholden to rolling over for Tepper for the foreseeable future.

Just now, Hushpuppy321 said:

Not totally sure where it would go there?  Seems like some of the available lots would have to be combined and the street re-routed to accommodate a MLB Stadium.

Streets would have to be re-routed anywhere its built. Even Spectrum center had to re-route streets. Obviously Mint was rerouted for BofA also.

13 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

If we got an expansion team (MLB) or relocated franchise - Where else could a MLB worthy Stadium be built in charlotte?  Seems like BB&it Ballpark really snagged the best possible location in CLT already.

I've said this in other threads, but I think Brookhill would be perfect.   It is close to the interstate, light rail, and a huge population center of young people, and it needs to be completely demolished anyways.  With Southend's population explosion, I think that location could sustain a ballpark and an entertainment district surrounding it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CTiger said:

I've said this in other threads, but I think Brookhill would be perfect.   It is close to the interstate, light rail, and a huge population center of young people, and it needs to be completely demolished anyways.  With Southend's population explosion, I think that location could sustain a ballpark and an entertainment district surrounding it.

I think it is being redeveloped as we speak, but I would love this for MLB or NFL/MLS. It would be fantastic for a stand alone MLS stadium, but I think that is a pipe dream.

1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

A smaller MLB stadium is perfect for Charlotte. Intimate and you can’t beat the location.

To recap...Its not big enough of a plot to build premium seating areas to make a small stadium fiancially feasible AND to make the capacity large enough for an owner to even entertain the idea.

2 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

To recap...Its not big enough of a plot to build premium seating areas to make a small stadium fiancially feasible AND to make the capacity large enough for an owner to even entertain the idea.

As I recall there were once visions of re-routing Graham St. along the train tracks from Trade to Stonewall as a way to get that lot big enough for MLB.  Obviously it never happened and cannot happen now given the development.

• 4 weeks later...

I know the logistics for adding an upper level along 1st/home base/3rd could be tricky due to size constraints (don't think it's totally impossible), but if they don't plan to build that building on the grassy lot in the outfield...there is plenty of concourse and field to build a huge grandstand back there.  Wouldn't be symmetrical but it would be a unique ballpark lol.  MLB or not, I would like to see the Knights expand the HomeRun Porch all the way around the concourse.  Would make the park look bigger and provide more premium and standing room only options.  Just the way BBT Ballpark was built, "the bowl" is below street level, similar to how Jerry Richardson stadium is at Charlotte.  So it doesn't appear that imposing from the outside.  I just love that location...like the national reviews state, it's a minor league team, with a major league view. 

Below is the HR Porch seating...think it would look awesome if wrapped around the outfield concourse.

1.jpg.7e3ce32709e691a3b52d9152de459a03.jpg

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I know the logistics for adding an upper level along 1st/home base/3rd could be tricky due to size constraints (don't think it's totally impossible), but if they don't plan to build that building on the grassy lot in the outfield...there is plenty of concourse and field to build a huge grandstand back there.  Wouldn't be symmetrical but it would be a unique ballpark lol.  MLB or not, I would like to see the Knights expand the HomeRun Porch all the way around the concourse.  Would make the park look bigger and provide more premium and standing room only options.  Just the way BBT Ballpark was built, "the bowl" is below street level, similar to how Jerry Richardson stadium is at Charlotte.  So it doesn't appear that imposing from the outside.  I just love that location...like the national reviews state, it's a minor league team, with a major league view. 

Below is the HR Porch seating...think it would look awesome if wrapped around the outfield concourse.

1.jpg.7e3ce32709e691a3b52d9152de459a03.jpg

So you really think they'll expand a park which is typically <50% full with declining attendance? They need to reduce prices and try to get people back. Do that and go with AA where the prospects are and I would be back.

I think we should call the empty lot, which kids LOVE, the grassy fun knoll. It's one of the best attributes of the park after the location and view.

1 hour ago, elrodvt said:

This thread makes me hum Dreamweaver by Gary wright.

Weird still having that crap in my head from the pop, disco era.  

Dreamweaver is very undude.  You’re being very undude, dude.  But, at least you’re not humming anything by The Eagles...

• Haha 1

On 1/4/2019 at 9:28 AM, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Ok, this might change things here a little. If the Rays are looking at a 25k stadium, BB&T could potentially get close to that. 

If the Devil Rays are looking at their stadium issues in Tampa then doesn't that reduce greatly the chances they'd relocate to CLT?

1 hour ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

If the Devil Rays are looking at their stadium issues in Tampa then doesn't that reduce greatly the chances they'd relocate to CLT?

There is a 20 year saga here that blew up in spectacular fashion in December between the Rays and Tampa region.   Post 2027 they will likely be playing in another city is my opinion.  I think at this time CLT has a 10% chance.  Tampa has a 10% chance to retain and 80% chance somewhere else.

8 hours ago, elrodvt said:

So you really think they'll expand a park which is typically <50% full with declining attendance? They need to reduce prices and try to get people back. Do that and go with AA where the prospects are and I would be back.

I think we should call the empty lot, which kids LOVE, the grassy fun knoll. It's one of the best attributes of the park after the location and view.

Where are you getting less than 50% full, capacity is just over 10k, every report I have seen has stated over 8k average attendance. 

Furthermore, milb.com reports Knight's had a yearly people through the gates (people attending games) of 619,639, over 69 home games 8980 per game. 

2014: 9686

2015: 9486

2016: 8974

2017: 8980

So, yeah attendance is down by about 700 per game since the first year the stadium opened, which is expected as the novelty has worn of slightly. But they still have exceptional attendance. 

As far as expanding this stadium I personally don't think that would work and another location would have to be found. 

https://www.milb.com/charlotte-knights/news/knights-crowned-2018-minor-league-baseball-attendance-champions/c-293282164

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1