Charlotte Knights AAA Ballpark in Third Ward

dubone

2 hours ago, a2theb said:

Do I think a stadium smaller than current standards somewhere along blue line or future silver is doable? Yes, but I think it would take a relocation (Rays) as opposed to expansion. With the NC media market belonging to Braves, gnats, O's and Reds (to some extent) it would be tough to get an expansion team.

That is a positive. Those teams don't own the media markets. MLB has inter-market about 100 miles and outer-market. No team has NC or SC 's media rights, those teams just break up the tv broadcasting in the Carolinas. 15m people living in the Carolinas is certainly attractive to MLB.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, go_vertical said:

I don't really want a MLB team here. There really needs to be sports options at all price ranges. Panthers games are expensive. If the Hornets were to get consistently good then certainly ticket prices will go up. I think MLS is going to happen here. That leaves us with our minors; Hounds, Checkers, Knights, and Independence. 

Side note but the Hounds have folded, though they may possibly come back in 2 years after renovations to Memorial Stadium are complete.

1 hour ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Non-Knights related, but I was disappointed the Taphouse wasn't open at the Mint.  I thought I read online that they would be open in time for the home opener.  Walked by and looked like it was still under construction. 

yeah there is still quite a lot of work to do, not sure what insane human over there thought theyd be open by opening day. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 12:08 AM, dylansukkert said:

I was at the USC & UNC game tonight. 6,700 in attendance, good crowd.... but I noticed, there is no seat in that stadium that doesn’t have a view of a crane. From FNB to the courthouse to the Bohemian, cranes are everywhere from BB&T Ballpark. 

The skyline is massively different from when the stadium opened. I love it.

On another note, GO COCKS!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Project Slugger up in Greensboro will have some spaces in a parking deck the city is building across the street.  I do think the Knights tower is viable it is just more complicated. 

The office tower in Greensboro has also been scaled back to 6 floors. They already have a tenant lined up which is helping this project go forward. 

The deck they're building keeps going up in number of spots available. I think the most recent I saw was 1,050. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

So I know that the impermanent nature of ballpark concessions makes this tough but.... it sure would be great if one of our better breweries (or maybe Gilde) set up a -brewing- brewpub outpost on the grass hill in the outfield (or maybe the small corner parcel at Mint and 4th) It could serve as an interface to the ballpark on game days (at least with a patio where you can see (some) of the game) and it would be open all the time which would help make the ballpark less of a black-hole on non game days. In addition it would help the ballpark establish a bit more craft beer cred — something they are kinda lacking since they have gone all in with AB (its harder to get local beer now although Hop Drop is still around if you ask vendors). Being able to actually see inside the ballpark on  non-game days is an asset that restaraunts  and bars should take better advantage of. 

While this plan is probably unrealistic as a stand-alone facility, it would certainly be easy to do at the base of the vaporware office building. 

[Blue Moon was initially brewed only at Coors Field]

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

The brewery at Coors field does a lot of experimental small batch brews. When the big boys want to they can make an excellent beer. The price is higher though and with all the breweries in that area it's not that popular. I would always just stop at great divide on the walk over. Here there isn't much down there so it might work.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Apparently a story on ESPN that the Oakland A's are possibly looking to relocate. Sorry I don't have a link.

I hope Tepper or someone else makes a play to get them to Charlotte. North Carolina is a very good baseball state.

Would be great if this stadium could be expanded for MLB.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

Apparently a story on ESPN that the Oakland A's are possibly looking to relocate. Sorry I don't have a link.

I hope Tepper or someone else makes a play to get them to Charlotte. North Carolina is a very good baseball state.

Would be great if this stadium could be expanded for MLB.

Unfortunately this stadium wasn't built with the ability to be expanded

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1