Charlotte Knights AAA Ballpark in Third Ward

dubone

Funny you posted this bc I was thinking about our ball park too recently. I went to the Durham bulls game against the knights the other week and liked the office building in their left outfield. Has a restaurant/bar over looking the field. Really cool. Made me wish our grassy plot would have something there. I know they talked about it being capable of building something there but who knows how long that will take to come to fruition. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Funny you posted this bc I was thinking about our ball park too recently. I went to the Durham bulls game against the knights the other week and liked the office building in their left outfield. Has a restaurant/bar over looking the field. Really cool. Made me wish our grassy plot would have something there. I know they talked about it being capable of building something there but who knows how long that will take to come to fruition. 

Agree.  Anything on that grassy lot that expedites the removal of that black chain-link fence.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

This is the Knights ballpark thread, so I'll post here.

I'm bugged by the chain link fence and grassy patch along West Trade. 

What if we turned that into a hard-surface, Tree-Canopied Plaza.

Why does every park here need a lawn feature.  It's hot as hell.

Think Luxembourg Gardens - Paris.  Pic inserted for illustration.

Luxembourg Gardens - Paris.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

I think no one wants to build there, because no one knows what MLB is going to do with this expansion + Oakland and Tampa possibly moving. There might be 4 new cities getting baseball in the next 5 years and Charlotte is always close to the top when talking about this. 

Understood - But while we wait, Charlotte, let's keep the "finishes" refined and impeccable.  Big chain-link in the heart of downtown with no indication of construction - we can do better.  Let's maximize the enjoyment and allure of our center city spaces even while we wait for something bigger and better to come along.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

I think no one wants to build there, because no one knows what MLB is going to do with this expansion + Oakland and Tampa possibly moving. There might be 4 new cities getting baseball in the next 5 years and Charlotte is always close to the top when talking about this. 

Unless they have  figured out a new solution (Perhaps using the undeveloped grassy patch), I don't believe the current lot is big enough for a major league stadium.  

Reference the following article.  https://www.charlottemagazine.com/charlotte-wont-get-major-league-baseball-anytime-soon/

This was a large part of the controversy with building the uptown ballpark.  

The current field dimensions would also be among the smallest in the MLB.  To retrofit would likely involve a large scale tear down and rebuild on a brand new ballpark.  

Having said that, the ball park location would be fantastic with the Gateway Station district and Tepper's planned entertainment district.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

There's around a .009% chance of MLB there and maybe 1% in Charlotte period. Guess i'd take those odds. At Pirates game as we speak. Cheaper than knights when you factor in bringing in food. 

16299333592521917334251463424033.jpg

I 100% disagree with that. Charlotte is being brought up frequently in the Tampa Bay relo talks along side Nashville. 

23 minutes ago, CltFlyer said:

Unless they have  figured out a new solution (Perhaps using the undeveloped grassy patch), I don't believe the current lot is big enough for a major league stadium.  

Reference the following article.  https://www.charlottemagazine.com/charlotte-wont-get-major-league-baseball-anytime-soon/

This was a large part of the controversy with building the uptown ballpark.  

The current field dimensions would also be among the smallest in the MLB.  To retrofit would likely involve a large scale tear down and rebuild on a brand new ballpark.  

Having said that, the ball park location would be fantastic with the Gateway Station district and Tepper's planned entertainment district.

I don't think a stadium would go where the Knights Stadium is, but the Stadium would likely get torn down after a MLB team moved in. The Knights couldn't play there anymore. That's why the Grass patch isn't being redeveloped. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Real Clayton said:

We have way bigger fish to fry than MLB in Charlotte, and I pray we never have another major league stadium inside 277.  You will never get tax payers to pitch in for baseball, I'd rather have transit

Even on Levineland? Maybe he can tear down his parking garage from world war z and build a stadium there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would love to see a team in Charlotte, but I do think Raleigh almost has a better case than us for an MLB team (and likely would have had the better chance for a MLS team if Tepper hadn't willed Charlotte FC to be).  I'm not saying we have no chance,  but there isn't currently a legitimate ownership group advocating for Major League Baseball in Charlotte that I'm aware of.  Raleigh-Durham has a quickly growing population and a smaller supply of professional sports.  (One could argue a lot of that market is taken by College athletics, however)

As Tepper has shown though, if a group with enough money comes in and wants MLB in Charlotte,  we definitely have a case for one.

The level of success (or failure)  of Charlotte FC will likely be an indicator of Charlotte's MLB hopes.  A good location for a MLB stadium would be the BOA site when (not if) Tepper builds  his retractable roof stadium.  

This is a double edge sword as alluded to above, though.  The taxpayers will likely be against another new sports stadium so soon after.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CltFlyer said:

I would love to see a team in Charlotte, but I do think Raleigh almost has a better case than us for an MLB team (and likely would have had the better chance for a MLS team if Tepper hadn't willed Charlotte FC to be).  I'm not saying we have no chance,  but there isn't currently a legitimate ownership group advocating for Major League Baseball in Charlotte that I'm aware of.  Raleigh-Durham has a quickly growing population and a smaller supply of professional sports.  (One could argue a lot of that market is taken by College athletics, however)

As Tepper has shown though, if a group with enough money comes in and wants MLB in Charlotte,  we definitely have a case for one.

The level of success (or failure)  of Charlotte FC will likely be an indicator of Charlotte's MLB hopes.  A good location for a MLB stadium would be the BOA site when (not if) Tepper builds  his retractable roof stadium.  

This is a double edge sword as alluded to above, though.  The taxpayers will likely be against another new sports stadium so soon after.  

*Insert Michael Scott "No, God No" Gif* 

I would much rather continue a cohesive urban mixed-use district on top of current Bank of America Stadium. Let some other neighborhood besides uptown reap the benefits of a destination. Not that I think Charlotte has more than a .5% chance at a MLB team, but in the off chance we mistakenly get one,  put it along the Silver Line. Or let Raleigh have it, they've earned a second Major.

Edited by The Real Clayton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

South East. Where baseball goes to die. Montreal would be a lot better choice.

We'll see sooner rather than later though cause I do think Tampa and Oakland are ripe for picking.

Tampa, Oakland, and two expansion teams in the next 5 years... NC will get a team, likely Charlotte, but Raleigh for sure is a contender. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

Tampa, Oakland, and two expansion teams in the next 5 years... NC will get a team, likely Charlotte, but Raleigh for sure is a contender. 

No chance its likely Charlotte. We cannot support a 4th team full stop, We don't have a viable and competent ownership group in the wings and Tepper isn't going to Triple down. We also don't have a appetite for spending public $s.

Edited by The Real Clayton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Never say never with Tepper.  Being a finance guy, if once he gets a new stadium built, the numbers say turning that existing BOA land into a MLB team site would generate the most profit vs selling for other development.  He will do everything in his power to make it happen.  Having said that, sports teams rarely offer the best profit margins by themselves.  Hence the push towards stadium districts.  

I disagree that the MLB doesn't work in the Southeast.  I think the better statement is "MLB doesn't work in Florida."  Summer sports and Florida just don't mix.  

One of Nashville, Raleigh, or Charlotte probably get a team within the next 15 years and right now Nashville has the best group put together, but even it is hitting major bumps in the road. 

17 minutes ago, CltFlyer said:

Never say never with Tepper.  Being a finance guy, if once he gets a new stadium built, the numbers say turning that existing BOA land into a MLB team site would generate the most profit vs selling for other development.  He will do everything in his power to make it happen.  Having said that, sports teams rarely offer the best profit margins by themselves.  Hence the push towards stadium districts.  

I disagree that the MLB doesn't work in the Southeast.  I think the better statement is "MLB doesn't work in Florida."  Summer sports and Florida just don't mix.  

One of Nashville, Raleigh, or Charlotte probably get a team within the next 15 years and right now Nashville has the best group put together, but even it is hitting major bumps in the road. 

One giant hole in your logic, Tepper doens't own the land the city does.

9 hours ago, CltFlyer said:

As I have mentioned before: Tepper isn't going to put 1/3 of his net worth into sports franchises.  No way a hedge fund manager would put that many eggs in one basket.  He is already in for 3  billion and likely another half to full billion for a new stadium.  His net worth is only 13.5-14bil.  He wants to develop properties around his teams...that's where he is diversifying.  Real Estate development is where he will be building the wealth (the growth of the franchise wealth is just on paper until he sells).  I'll eat a shoe if he buys a MLB team to relocate to Charlotte before I retire. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2