CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Downtown Courtyard by Mariott

btoy

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CityHallPlaza.jpg

Thanks for the rendering t_b_s! I am really excited about this development. More hotel space that will actually be built! I hope that the city cleans up the Bi-Lo Center a bit and starts courting larger conventions and national (NCAA, etc) events to take advantage of all of the hotel space (as well as going public with the Go Greenville campaign.

I also like the way the design allows for two flows of pedestrian traffic instead of just continuing the one way up and down main street flow that we currently have. I hope to see more exciting development that takes into consideration the bordering side streets.

I saw that too on the way home. I wonder if they built a replacement or consolidated with one close by? They really need to have one close to the Peace Center considering some of the stuff that goes on in there from time to time combined with lights, curtains, etc.

That station has actually been closed for several years. I'm not sure if it was consolidated with another or replaced, though.

I just wanted to hear peoples response to how different these two look.

The first rendering you posted was the original one that was provided at the announcement and included with the Greenville News articles about the project. I wish you could see more of the plaza area along Main Street - it would be really cool to imagine what that open space with fountains and even an ice rink would look like. However, the overall rendering, I feel, is quite disproportionate. I do like the details that are shown in the most recent renderings. Still, neither of them really show the site plan and the open plaza/fountains/skating rink well - possibly because those details haven't yet been worked out completely?

I'd love to see more renderings if there are any out there that we have not already seen.

At any rate, this will be fun to watch and photograph. :camera:

• 2 weeks later...

Wow thanks for the update. That place is going to look so much better with the new hotel there. It will be a very good spot. Now if only somebody would propose something for the parking lot beside the hotdog king that would be great!!!

Maybe this development will expose the potential...

Thanks for the pictures! Looks fantastic!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The density created by this project is going to be comparable to, dare I say, Charleston!

Here's a figure-ground image of the buildings in the South Main portion of the City Center district (between Washington Street and the Reedy River). The building outlined in red is the new Courtyard hotel at City Hall Plaza.

2382298088_ba49ab11d7_o.jpg

The density created by this project is going to be comparable to, dare I say, Charleston!

Here's a figure-ground image of the buildings in the South Main portion of the City Center district (between Washington Street and the Reedy River). The building outlined in red is the new Courtyard hotel at City Hall Plaza.

That is some nice density, indeed! Thanks for illustrating that for us!

We must get a nice development on the other corner of Main and Broad where the surface parking lot currently sits! Arrgh! :)

Check it out: WYFF4.com

15766726.jpg

Thanks for posting this. Very exciting to see. In addition to the density, the model gives the project a better vertical feel than I originally thought it would have......if the City Hall building model to the right is to scale. Excellent addition to the downtown core. :yahoo:

Archived