CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Downtown Courtyard by Mariott

btoy

Has anyone noticed the grass growing on this spot already? I assume someone threw some seed down to keep it aesthetically pleasing during the construction process, but it also seems to allude to delays in groundbreaking.

Is it normal to throw grass down right after raizing and prior to ground breaking?

It would be hard, especially this time of year, to keep grass off an open lot, from sprouting, unless the soil was being broken up day after day.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

R.T. I know that the requirements for erosion control have been increased.I think the main problem is that there are not enough inspectors to check all of the projects.There are stipulations for major fines it just has to enforced by Columbia and you know what its like dealing with them.

Someone said there were lots of works on site recently. (by the way, why is a portion of the City Hall Plaza wall still up near the corner of Broad and Main? Or it was last time I was by and everything else was down and gone...

Yep, there were guys (workers) there on Thursday or Friday when I was by.

There is no reason to believe it is on hold.

The Peacock is an independent Hotel. This is a chain. I doubt Marriott would have their name attached to a project that wasn't a definite 'go'.

My guess is that the design work is still being finished up.

• 2 weeks later...

In light of the economic conditions, the fact nothing has happened in at least a month and the fact there are no signs that developers normally put up on site, I would say this project is indeed on hold. It's the same "signs" as all of the other projects that are on hold or cancelled. One would be crazy to build anything like this right now.

One would be crazy to build anything like this right now.

Crazy? You talk like this is a 50-story tower or something. We're talking about a midsized hotel of a notable brand in a burgeoning downtown of a city that has experienced a significant increase in its tourism industry. If the funding has been secured, then it will certainly go forward.

Crazy? You talk like this is a 50-story tower or something. We're talking about a midsized hotel of a notable brand in a burgeoning downtown of a city that has experienced a significant increase in its tourism industry. If the funding has been secured, then it will certainly go forward.

The project is going forward....as we speak. Demolition went faster than expected meaning the recent lull was due to scheduling of contractors, not project problems. They are scheduled to start blasting rock next week (typically in the afternoon). In fact, they are drilling today in preparation of rock blasting next week.

The project is going forward....as we speak. Demolition went faster than expected meaning the recent lull was due to scheduling of contractors, not project problems. They are scheduled to start blasting rock next week (typically in the afternoon). In fact, they are drilling today in preparation of rock blasting next week.

Good to hear.

I had noticed last evening, some sort of new equipment on the site, near the Broad Street side. Is this involved with the rock blasting?

Walked by this morning and definite work going on at the site. The drilling equipment has been moving around the site. Mounds of rock/clay where all the drilling has occured (I assume the holes are for the blasting material).

Yeah, we were planting new annuals at the Peace Center all day. All of that drilling was really starting to wear on my last nerve! All in the name of progress though. I think this project will really benefit the Peace Center, and visa versa.

Archived