CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Downtown Courtyard by Mariott

btoy

This does look great, but wasn't the grassy area in the courtyard suppose to be a fountain/Ice Rink. Does anyone know if that is still part of the plans?

The article by WYFF makes mention of the fact that the courtyard is more a "village green" on the order of the Rockefeller center so I assume that implies that it will eventually have the ice rink.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm excited about the development, the "village green" and the design is nice, but it does seem like a repeat of the primary motif at the new Greenville Hospital System campus at Patewood. I do like the circular design/entrance, but I'm just wondering if Greenville should be repeating motifs like that when we have the opportunity to branch out with some new projects.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just being picky.

I'm excited about the development, the "village green" and the design is nice, but it does seem like a repeat of the primary motif at the new Greenville Hospital System campus at Patewood. I do like the circular design/entrance, but I'm just wondering if Greenville should be repeating motifs like that when we have the opportunity to branch out with some new projects.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just being picky.

They are both by the same architect. It's one of his "Signatures".

This does look great, but wasn't the grassy area in the courtyard suppose to be a fountain/Ice Rink. Does anyone know if that is still part of the plans?

An outdoor rink in our climate would not be built in ground, especially since it would not be an ice rink 10 months of the year.

Several cities: Charlotte and Atlanta for instance, have above ground ice rinks. That way you can store the equipment off site, rather than maintaining an in ground system all year long, and it makes it easier to keep the ice frozen during our occasional warm days in November - January.

An outdoor rink in our climate would not be built in ground, especially since it would not be an ice rink 10 months of the year.

Several cities: Charlotte and Atlanta for instance, have above ground ice rinks. That way you can store the equipment off site, rather than maintaining an in ground system all year long, and it makes it easier to keep the ice frozen during our occasional warm days in November - January.

They should use synthetic ice http://www.superglideskating.com/

"Recent advances in technology have finally given us a true“Skate Like Ice” surface suitable for all forms of skating. The Super-Glide™ surface is a synthetic ice skating surface with a scientifically engineered density and make-up to allow skate blades to glide as smoothly as they do on real ice, but without the cost of refrigeration or maintenance. Far superior to previous artificial ice compounds, Super-Glide™ offers less resistance, creating a skating experience almost identical to real ice skating rinks."

- No ice maintenance costs, No Refrigeration, No ice resurfacing, No Electricity usage.

Glad to see that the skating is still part of the uses for the Village Green. This is the most exciting project to come along in awhile. It should be another strong anchor for Main St. and a huge boost for 'off Main' development (ie Broad St and connecting Mian St. to the Poinsett Corners retail/office space.

Now if we can just get the Washington and Main project to the demo stage, or at least teh ANNOUNCEMENT stage.

I have posted this information in the past, but perhaps there are a few readers who still haven't heard. The inventor of this synthetic ice material lives in Greenville, where his company is based. :)

As a hockey player, I'm still skeptical about synthetic ice (obviously it wouldn't be used in the park as a hockey rink); however, I was pretty impressed with the video on their website. I'd like to try it out now regardless if we get it at the Courtyard.

^ Good to see Marriott updating their mid-range brand. This is what Hyatt has done with the mid-range Hyatt Place, Starwood has done this by introducing the mid-range Aloft brand and Hilton is working toward this same type marketing with Hamptons.

Good to see the hotel choices in downtown growing.

Our new Courtyard downtown will surely be using the updated format, yes?

Seems it would have to, I hope. The Hampton at Riverplace used their new format a couple of years ago.

I'm really interested in the street level retail and restaurants that will go into this development.

An idea for anybody in the restaurant industry.....this would be an excellent spot for a late night desert / wine / coffee bar.....right across from Peace Center......lots of disposable income exiting Peace Center after shows.......an excellent desert bar demographic......

An idea for anybody in the restaurant industry.....this would be an excellent spot for a late night desert / wine / coffee bar.....right across from Peace Center......lots of disposable income exiting Peace Center after shows.......an excellent desert bar demographic......

That's a fantastic idea!

I hope some retail is included too.

Seems it would have to, I hope. The Hampton at Riverplace used their new format a couple of years ago.

I'm really interested in the street level retail and restaurants that will go into this development.

Fantastic idea, gsupstate! This would be a perfect spot for a place like that. :)

I can recommend Kaminsky's. It is one of the TBonz Restaurant Group's offerings (the same group behind Liberty Tap Room). I have been to the Kaminsky's in Charleston on the market, and their desserts are outstanding. They do phenomenal business on the weekends when people are out, too! A location in Greenville where gsupstate mentioned would do great business too. :thumbsup:

Guys I really like this project, BUT, I am not a fan of the architecture. I really feel this is a missed opportunity for some new and different architecture. I feel like this is old hat in greenville. It looks like every other building in town; midrise, brick/tan combo look, with a ton of small windows. Great project, but let's have some originality please.

You can only be so original when you're knocking on the front door of Court Square, and directly across the street from the Peace Center.

Maybe one day, one of our districts downtown will become known as the 'brick district', or a new area will be designated. :)

Considering the Courtyard's location near the Peace Center and Court Square, I think the architecture is very appropriate. The brick looks good there, but looks modern enough with the glass and round corners. That effect also ties in nicely with RiverPlace to create a very cohesive look. :)

Considering the Courtyard's location near the Peace Center and Court Square, I think the architecture is very appropriate. The brick looks good there, but looks modern enough with the glass and round corners. That effect also ties in nicely with RiverPlace to create a very cohesive look. :)

Agreed. Very appropriate for the area.

And....it is a Courtyard Hotel, not MOMA or the Guggenheim. :lol:

I can recommend Kaminsky's.

Would love to see them open in Greenville! Who knows, maybe they will follow the lead of the other Low Country restaurants that have opened here (High Cotton, Paris Cafe, etc).

Has anyone noticed the grass growing on this spot already? I assume someone threw some seed down to keep it aesthetically pleasing during the construction process, but it also seems to allude to delays in groundbreaking.

Is it normal to throw grass down right after raizing and prior to ground breaking?

Has anyone noticed the grass growing on this spot already? I assume someone threw some seed down to keep it aesthetically pleasing during the construction process, but it also seems to allude to delays in groundbreaking.

Is it normal to throw grass down right after raizing and prior to ground breaking?

Go by the site today.

Guys in hardhats and trucks on site this morning and looks like some additional trenching has/is being dug.

It's moving along.

I noticed that too... could be for erosion control? or so it doesn't look like a big mud pit.

Just because Bob Ellis had the foresight to keep the combination of asphalt and weeds on his site this entire time doesn't mean that all other developers are as intelligent! :lol:

Archived