Bearden Park in Third Ward, Uptown Charlotte

dubone

I love a green wall as much as the next person, but it takes a lot of maintenance.  Green walls typically are great places for rodents as well, and they don't provide much other than pure aesthetic dividends.  I personally like the idea for the sports teams, and i think it is a more economical idea.  But hey, I'm no longer in Charlotte, so I won't see it as much as the rest of you guys!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

^ I guess it's always too much to ask Charlotte developers to simply do something in the interest of making the physical world a better place. They could use some lessons from small-town developers in Roanoke, VA. 

I completely agree with you.  I was just saying that green walls bring with them a caveat of variables to consider, especially cost-wise.  But, it would be a nice companion to the park across the street.  It just needs to be done right. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Just now, grodney said:

Today, and Aug 28 2013.  I'm having trouble with my photo albums, so let me know if these don't show up.

20160505_085800.jpg

beardenorig.jpg

the park is maturing very well.

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2016 at 11:55 AM, grodney said:

Sculpture time: "

West Martin Luther King Jr Boulevard between South Church Street and South Mint Street will close on Friday, June 24, 2016 at 9 a.m. and will re-open on the same day at 4 p.m. This closure is necessary for a crane to set an art sculpture at Romare Bearden Park. South Church Street, West First Street, South Mint Street, and West Third Street will be utilized as the detours.

Local access will be maintained at all times.

CATS will not be affected.

"

as received in an e-mail at work.

This closure has been cancelled.  No reason given.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/Transportation/News/Pages/MKLJr-09-12-15.aspx

Frownies.

Edited by grodney

• 2 months later...

Well, it's with some sadness that I write that I sold our Cedar Hill building this morning to Beacon. :-(   (Cedar Hill is the old historic A & P building at Cedar and West Hill Streets)

I think they'll do well with it. Being a landlord is their business and they're a great company. I hope to be able to focus more on my core distribution business now.

13 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

Well, it's with some sadness that I write that I sold our Cedar Hill building this morning to Beacon. :-(   (Cedar Hill is the old historic A & P building at Cedar and West Hill Streets)

I think they'll do well with it. Being a landlord is their business and they're a great company. I hope to be able to focus more on my core distribution business now.

That building is an old favorite of mine. Always wanted to turn it into loft condos. Cheers to a sale, and I hope they make great landlords.

Just one question: Why is this in the Romare Bearden Thread? LOL

Edited by Guest

13 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

That building is an old favorite of mine. Always wanted to turn it into loft condos. Cheers to a sale, and I hope they make great landlords.

Just one question: Why is this in the Romare Bearden Thread? LOL

I had used the search field above to find "Third Ward" and this popped up first. "Third Ward" was hightligted and I thought that's where the link took me. Sorry. I hope it's not too much of a problem. Perhaps I should delete and repost. (?)

6 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

I had used the search field above to find "Third Ward" and this popped up first. "Third Ward" was hightligted and I thought that's where the link took me. Sorry. I hope it's not too much of a problem. Perhaps I should delete and repost. (?)

Maybe under Misc Projects? Honestly, it doesn't give me a problem. :-) 

13 hours ago, elrodvt said:

Denver had one of these every year on 16th street. It was kinda cheesy but I confess to being unable to walk by without a stroll through it.

Charlotte could use a little cheese. It'll add to street life in Uptown for a month and draw in people that otherwise may not come. My mom will be all over this and she never has interest in going downtown.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

As I was walking through the Christmas Village the other day, I thought of a few things...I know people were upset with the white tents and stuff, but it will definitely improve in years to come (they are working with the city in regards to the wooden huts).  My other thought, was that Romare has the potential to be really special during this time of year.  Has the city or whomever, thought about moving the holiday skating from the Nascar HOF to Romare?  I don't know if people like it's current spot, but I think once the Christmas village is improved/done right, Ascent & Kimpton/300 are complete, and with the addition of Ink&Ivy...an ice rank maybe in the Oval part of Romare could be magical surrounded by the improved Christmas village.  I imagine people on the rooftop of the Kimpton over looking the people skating and walking around...3rd ward just has great energy/vibes and is only getting better!

• Like 3

As I was walking through the Christmas Village the other day, I thought of a few things...I know people were upset with the white tents and stuff, but it will definitely improve in years to come (they are working with the city in regards to the wooden huts).

I'm glad to hear they are trying to improve the setup. We were insanely underwhelmed by how it turned out. Granted, maybe it is a bit more lively on the weekend vs a Wednesday. Even half of the vendors didn't seem thrilled with our (browsing, potential customers) presence.

820e5e4cbc24add2a60626d27545613d.jpg