Bearden Park in Third Ward, Uptown Charlotte

dubone

Here's the initial plan for the 3rd ward park. (blow it up to see closer view)

8-13-07

original.jpg

I thought last evenings's meeting was handled well and the designers were genuinely looking for input on design and functions for the park. I was somewhat surprised and disappointed by a relatively low turnout of attendees not employed by the county or the design firm and by those who participated that wanted to focus the discussion on the park size and on the viability of a baseball facility. That seems to be a moot point and a distraction from moving ahead and getting a park done in our lifetime.

Looks pretty nice. I wonder what the distance is around the two loops are for people who may use it to run on like a track? I'm surprised they didn't put in some sort of stage or amphitheatre for concerts though.

Many people at the workshop suggested that, so the final plan may very well include one. With the $1M extra that Novare donated to the park, I'm sure many cool features that the public would like to see can be incorporated into the final design.

I'd rather not see a stage. In a park of this size, that is just wasted space. For the times they want/need a stage, they can assemble a temporary structure. Stage areas are dead zones when they aren't being used, and this park is too small to sacrifice the space.

Needs a more distinctive water feature.....it's becoming a Charlotte distinguising characteristic.....other than that, I like it.

I actually wouldn't mind some sort of active recreation space that fills a unique niche taking up a small bit of space. A boccee ball course perhaps? Something to create a draw and spectators.

^ Edit. I agree Wheatie about stages being dead spaces, plus this is going to be dead in the middle of the denses residential neighborhood in the city at buildout. This shouldn't be the primary concert spot for the center city.

That would be cool to have some sort of sporting area. How about a 4 squares or dodge ball area? But really, I wonder if Parks & Rec would go for basketball courts since there are several other courts all around downtown. Also, there's not a TON of room to start plopping down courts everywhere. As for boccee ball, you can play that most anywhere although a little terrain changes helps out a bunch.

Parks and rec. is thinking about placing a small building on site for maintanence, bathrooms, etc. I'm sure it could also house some kind of makeshift stage that could easily be moved into the park. The water feature was a popular idea and even more so, an interactive water feature that kids could play in.

Basketball courts and tennis courts are just too big and would cut into the public space. This park is more of green oasis in the middle of uptowns concrete canyons. Sports courts would be better suited somewhere uptown as their own space, IMO.

I think what is needed is features that make the park more enjoyable for kids. As much as I dont like baseball, the minor league stadium next door is going to be a huge draw for families. Having interactive features in the park for kids will help keep those families uptown and maybe even make it a destination for some as a day trip.

A small dog park would be nice too since uptown has none. Maybe the section along Church that is secluded from the rest of the park?

edit: I like the small amphitheatre idea, it would make a great spot for street performers to setup. The terrain is already on a downslope anyway

Edited by Mobuchu

Overwhelmingly, urban parks across the country "close" at 11 P.M. or so.

I hope Bearden Park never closes. It would be the most romantic place imaginable to take a moonlight stroll with your signifcant other. Plus all the people that do shift work Uptown might enjoy a refreshing walk around the park after work.

Beef up security from 10:00 P.M.-6:00 A.M. Keep homeless people out. Run the drunks and drug addicts out. Make Bearden Park the SAFEST area of Charlotte.

Edited by Charlotteman

A well designed urban park Uptown could be a great catalyst in making the area alive after long after 5. Piedmont Park in Atlanta functions as everyone's living room in the city and is busy day and night with a wide variety of activities and festivals. There needs to be ample space to brink blankets and just lay out and hang for hours like people do in bigger cities and I also think an amphitheatre is better than a stage. When I was attending The College of Charleston, Marion Square Park along King, Calhoun, and Meeting St's was a nasty dangerous no go zone. By the time I moved out of the city it had been completely rehabbed is packed all time and has only made the surrounding streetscapes even better. I hope our park can spark the same type of renaissance . We sure need it.

I would be so happy if this would come about...

There is already Shakespeare on the Green every spring. This year's play was As You Like It; last year was A Midsummer Night's Dream. I'd imagine that the troupe will at least consider moving over to Bearden, though the Green is an exceptionally good space due to all the blind corners and ledges. Bearden's final design might incorporate some theater-friendly elements too; I guess we'll see before too long.

On the whole I like the park design, but I agree that it needs some kind of central gathering space. Perhaps the Brevard Arcade, which has potential to be designed as more of a plaza than a walkway.

I'm a huge proponet of creating usable outdoor space that everyone can take advantage of. Some small pocket parks end up being nice to look at - when you drive buy. For small parks to survive there HAS to be a realitvely high number of serivce retailers, or resdential units to increse foot traffic. The thought of creating destinations that are not used is doing more of a disjustice to the people of Charlotte, than if the Price of Right was going to be hosted by Rosie.

I always liked the 2010 plan or whatever it was, capping the southeren part of I-277. What a creative and city altering idea. Especially, at a time when South Tryon's becoming so popular to all developers. It would be a plan that cities all over the world would draw ideas from. I know - sounds kind of expensive.

Just another way for Charlotte to say "thats right"

I think it will be a pretty big cut through for people. I counted something like 69 home games for the Knights this year and there are what, 10 home Panthers games? That's about 80 times a year that THOUSANDS of people will be walking through just for those events. Then, add in all of the business people walking to work from 3rd Ward, Wesley Heights, etc. Throw in a few small concerts and the place is a huge success. I can already see impromptu bands setting up like they do at Trade and Tryon along with other small vendors like the flower or hot dog people, especially if this becomes a big lunch destination.

With Trademark, 230, Wachovia, Novare, 300, and other projects on the way, this park will have a few thousand residents in sight distance to keep it full and vibrant. Add to that the residents that are an easy 4 - 5 blocks away, the potential for this park is great. Marshall Park has always had the issue of not having residents around it, this is an entirely different situation. Add to it events and tailgating, the location is fantastic. I am awfully biased, though, since I will be one of the "nearby residents" who will be in this park as often as possible.

Also, if a park is "fun" and people begin to congregate there, others will travel to enjoy it. I lived across from Freedom Park for years, and most people that come during the "good weather" days drive there, few that are there actually walk to Freedom Park, but its reputation as a great city park has been around for years.

Edited by Charlotte_native

I really like the idea of a small amphitheater. Even though it's indoors, something like the amphitheater and fountain at the Operyland Hotel in Nashville would be awesome. It would be really unique.

http://www.gaylordhotels.com/gaylordopryland/360s/delta_atrium_low.cfm

http://www.gaylordhotels.com/gaylordopryland/tour/tour_delta.cfm

The fountain puts on an hourly show shooting up to 85 feet in the air. Then at night it's done with lights in a way that the fountain looks like a fireworks show.

Additional photos I found on the web:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=402361455&size=o

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=402360586&size=o

Edited by jf Uptown

I'd rather not see a stage. In a park of this size, that is just wasted space. For the times they want/need a stage, they can assemble a temporary structure. Stage areas are dead zones when they aren't being used, and this park is too small to sacrifice the space.

Exactly. What this park needs is flex space. If you need as stage, bring in a portable one. If you want an intimate concernt, just set up some small speakers. I've done a lot of research on the design of public space, and the number one thing that all successful (small) parks and plazas have in common is impromptu sitting space (tables and chairs) and fountains/water features. Fountains add a white noise that just blocks out the sounds of the city, and having places to sit near those places makes them that much more appealing.

I think the overall concept/design of this park is decent. Once the public gets more input it will be better. I hope they can save the House of Jazz. Boo to Parks & Rec for even considering that. <_<