Bearden Park in Third Ward, Uptown Charlotte

dubone

• 7 months later...

I was just looking at the webcam for 300 South Tryon and can't get over just how awful the back of the Chamber Building parking garage is. Seems like an organization whose job is to tout Charlotte could do a better job of screening the back side of a deck that bears its name. If an apartment developer on the same park can use plants to soften a concrete facade (Ascent), then certainly the owners of the Chamber deck could do the same.

Here's a "greening" of a parking garage in California:GreenWalledGarage_slideshow_01.jpg

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

I was just looking at the webcam for 300 South Tryon and can't get over just how awful the back of the Chamber Building parking garage is. Seems like an organization whose job is to tout Charlotte could do a better job of screening the back side of a deck that bears its name. If an apartment developer on the same park can use plants to soften a concrete facade (Ascent), then certainly the owners of the Chamber deck could do the same.

Here's a "greening" of a parking garage in California:GreenWalledGarage_slideshow_01.jpg

This is going to be my next crusade. I'm on it. You should see how much bull crap the Chamber has wasted money on INSIDE their facility. They can spare the money for this. 

Would anyone one in the know be able to get me some round about numbers for the cost of something like this? Or even putting a decal/skin over it? It'd be much appreciated. 

Edited by Jayvee

20160103_173727.thumb.jpg.d04c443a658b9020160103_173731.thumb.jpg.7cd581ac182546

We had a great view from our tailgating spot right beside Ascent and Packard Place. 3rd Ward was popping all day with a good mix of locals from the neighborhood and us suburbians. Side note: this is roughly the view from the new patio going on the side of the Packard Place. These photos don't give justice to how good the view will be with all these high rises coming on line. Can't wait for this patio/restaurant to be finished. It'll just add to the great vibe of 3rd Ward. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I thought it was being renovated for a restaurant but I guess I got it mixed up with Wells Fargo's parking deck. South College (and North College) have a pretty nice vibe. If only that little strand of Parking Decks in the middle didn't kill it.

The 230 South Tryon (former Wachovia Center across MLK from the Chamber garage) is the one getting a restaurant on the bottom floor.

21 hours ago, Jayvee said:

This is going to be my next crusade. I'm on it. You should see how much bull crap the Chamber has wasted money on INSIDE their facility. They can spare the money for this. 

Would anyone one in the know be able to get me some round about numbers for the cost of something like this? Or even putting a decal/skin over it? It'd be much appreciated. 

I still vote for the painting each level of the garage with the logo of a one of our professional sports teams, at least as a temporary solution.  Surely the Chamber could get at least four of the six teams (Panthers, Hornets, Knights, Checkers, Hounds, and Independence) on board.  Quick and relatively inexpensive "fix".

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cltcane said:

I still vote for the painting each level of the garage with the logo of a one of our professional sports teams, at least as a temporary solution.  Surely the Chamber could get at least four of the six teams (Panthers, Hornets, Knights, Checkers, Hounds, and Independence) on board.  Quick and relatively inexpensive "fix".

Agreed. So it seems the Chamber doesn't own their garage. Grubb does and preferred parking operates it. I'm sure the Chamber could influence but it'll ultimately be on Grubb to do anything

8 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

I'm not a fan of the sports team logo thing on the garage. It needs to be softened up a bit. Like this:

article-2388626-1B3A61BD000005DC-684_964

The sports team thing wont be there, it was a place holder. I actually think this is incredibly obnoxious haha. It's TOO much green. It looks like its being filmed in a scene for the I Am Legend or 28 Days Later sequel and the world has been overgrown.

• Like 2

The Miami Ballet garage is probably one of the most renown parking structures in the world, but OK. The idea is that a green wall (like the science building at Queens University) does much of the same work that green roofs do (filter air and water, help nullify the effects of heat islands caused by the built environment, and work to keep storm runoff at a minimum). 

And in the case of Church Street in uptown Charlotte, would cover up a hideous piece of concrete.

4 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

The Miami Ballet garage is probably one of the most renown parking structures in the world, but OK. The idea is that a green wall (like the science building at Queens University) does much of the same work that green roofs do (filter air and water, help nullify the effects of heat islands caused by the built environment, and work to keep storm runoff at a minimum). 

And in the case of Church Street in uptown Charlotte, would cover up a hideous piece of concrete.

I am totally down with a green wall. that just looks like too much of a good thing to me but I get it I guess. To me it just looks like one step away from this hahaah

image.jpeg

8 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

I'm sure they would use astroturf. ;-)

I love the green wall idea. No way that flies here though - too radical. Imagine the letters.

http://gsky.com/projects/queens-university-of-charlotte/

But we already have one--and in Myers Park, no less! (Just don't mention Cam Newton's marital status and all will be OK.)

Queens-U-Green-Wall.jpg

• Like 1

I think a green wall is a great solution for some of the parking decks around town.  The parking deck off of Charlottetowne Ave and 7th street has one as well on its back side although it's not fully grown out yet.  I would hope for something a little more imaginative for Uptown though.  

24 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

http://gsky.com/projects/queens-university-of-charlotte/

But we already have one--and in Myers Park, no less! (Just don't mention Cam Newton's marital status and all will be OK.)

I had no idea that was there. That's awesome, and I'd definitely prefer this over a mural in most cases, especially with the abundance of concrete and parking decks along Church St. 

While I'd love to see these decks slowly go away, I'm not optimistic it'll happen anytime soon. I think the first few to go would probably be the Marriott deck, the Chamber deck and the deck at 4th and Church behind First Citizens Plaza. In the meantime, it would be great to see some treatment given to them, but I don't think too many owners will spend money on beautification of a deck when there's no return on that investment since I don't think people would be more likely to park in a deck that's "pretty" and pay more versus an ugly one next door that's cheaper.