Bearden Park in Third Ward, Uptown Charlotte

dubone

There is an "Abandon Right of Way" notice at the corner of Mint and Poplar. How long has that been there? I assume it has to do with the construction of the park. If it's new, does that mean construction is imminent? How long does notice have to be posted for and is it like a rezoning where they have the site plan posted online?

There is an "Abandon Right of Way" notice at the corner of Mint and Poplar. How long has that been there? I assume it has to do with the construction of the park. If it's new, does that mean construction is imminent? How long does notice have to be posted for and is it like a rezoning where they have the site plan posted online?

The abandonments are just to clear easements & right of ways into the property. The park has been planned and is in a holding pattern waiting on money. This park is being funded by 2004 county bonds which haven't been sold yet. In the current financial market the county doesn't want to overextend themselves or risk their bond rating by selling bonds. Next summer a portion of bonds will be bundled and sold. Once sold, the money grab begins between all the county agencies. Depending on how much park and rec gets will determine which parks (and greenways) get built and in what time frame. The management at Park & Rec is very committed to Bearden Park and know how important it is to the CBD. This park has a very high ranking so I feel that it will be built sooner than later -- but sooner means construction will begin next fall at best.

Yeah, the update that Park and Rec gave last Spring even listed late 2010/early 2011 as the time line.

http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/eo4kf...eholder5web.pdf

It also gives a lot of detail on the construction materials and designs. I read through it today and was revived in excitement for this park and location, but we'll need to wait until the recession ends and the county finances stabilize before we can expect to see investment like this uptown.

As much as we need the amenity, building it in 2011 or 2012 would have more of stimulating effect on development than anything that will happen in the next few years.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an update on the Park courtesy of Third Ward FB group:

From Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation: "Dear Stakeholders, Although it may seem all is [quiet] at Romare Bearden Park, several key components of this wonderful project are gathering momentum:

Timetable: The Department is hopeful that construction could start late next summer. The County will release a portion of unsold 2004 bonds for sale next June. Construction of Romare Bearden Park is the number one priority for the Department - the park will be first in line when funding becomes available. We will know more as the County moves closer to the bond sale and determines specific department allocations.

Building Demolition: Asbestos abatement in the existing structures is underway. Once abatement is complete, in about a month

• 5 months later...

At the risk of sounding like one of those people who sound like they've never read anything on the subject, what exactly is the hold-up on this park? I understand the hold-up on the Knights' Ballpark, but can't figure out what's keeping the county from building this park? I thought it was being paid for with bonds that were already issued which would mean the money is just sitting somewhere waiting to be used. Furthermore, wouldn't starting the park put people to work AND aren't construction costs a bargain right now? Perhaps I'm really confused with my details here...

If I understand correctly, the reason the County won't issue debt right now is to protect the bond rating. If this is true, I honestly give credit to the county. We have an enviable bond rating that pays off immeasurably in the cost of issue and interest on our debt - which is as important in my mind as the actual thing that the debt issued in order to build.

I don't like the delay in the park either, but I can wait a year for the debt to be issued and construction to begin if it means preserving our (AAA?) bond rating.

• 1 year later...

On Tuesday, the Board of County Commissioners are set to meet to discuss moving forward with building Romare Bearden Park. If you want to show your support, I believe the meeting at the Government center is open. Additionally, there's a Facebook page that was recently set up to show the grassroots support: http://www.facebook.com/romarebeardenpark Let's hope they can get this going! Apparently construction is ready to go. Approval for the funding is needed though.

• 2 months later...

According to an article in today's Charlotte Observer, some money will be freed up to start construction on Romare Bearden Park on September 2nd. Well, it says "proposed start date" so not sure how set in stone that is, but it's the first time I've heard of a groundbreaking date.

:offtopic: As you can imagine the CO NIMBY commentators are out in force already. You always take them with a grain of salt, but you just really have to laugh at the names. One guy calls himself "Charlotte Comments , Observer, why are you scared of Conservatives?". Too funny.

Edited by dbull75

• 2 weeks later...

(not sure where else to post this) Maybe this isn't news to a lot of you, but while following a series of links from nibletodell's facebook link, I found an adjoining development at 3rd and Church called Parkard Place that I wasn't aware of. They are remodeling the old Packard Building (where picasso's is) which I believe was at one point rumored to become more Novare condo towers. It will be a center for entrepreneurs. I found an interesting video blog about the development on cltblog.

What really caught my eye is that the Packard Place's website is using my old sketchup renderings of uptown to show off the rendering of their building as their facebook picture. :thumbsup:

(not sure where else to post this) Maybe this isn't news to a lot of you, but while following a series of links from nibletodell's facebook link, I found an adjoining development at 3rd and Church called Parkard Place that I wasn't aware of. They are remodeling the old Packard Building (where picasso's is) which I believe was at one point rumored to become more Novare condo towers. It will be a center for entrepreneurs. I found an interesting video blog about the development on cltblog.

What really caught my eye is that the Packard Place's website is using my old sketchup renderings of uptown to show off the rendering of their building as their facebook picture. :thumbsup:

I see from the link in your post this company will be a part of RedF. As you may already know, RedF owns Red Ventures.

I worked at RV when I first got out of college. Even though I hated it, I'm glad to see the company is branching out and creating something other than awful telemarketer positions in Charlotte.

Edited by rworkman09

• 3 weeks later...

Article in CBJ that Dan Roselli of Packard Place and Curtis Watkins of Duke Energy are proposing a $5-15 million dollar energy incubator fund for energy start-ups in Charlotte.

With Duke's backing I see this as a will-happen reality rather than a proposal. Great to see the beefing up of the Energy Hub for the region by going after and supporting start-ups - That's where a region can really get its innovation and reputation!

Here's this:

Please join us as we celebrate world renowned artist Romare Bearden’s 100th birthday with the ground breaking of uptowns newest park named in his honor.

Romare Bearden Park

Groundbreaking

Ceremony

September 02, 2011

9:00-10:30am

Corner of 3rd and Church St.

Be prepared for a unique experience unlike any groundbreaking ceremony you’ve ever attended.

Refreshments will be provided.

Park in 3rd Street lot between Popular and Church St

Enter off 3rd Street.

Wow, so we're finally going to actually have a real uptown park! Great timing too, LOL. Construction will start right before football season so that will be one less area for tailgating. ECU/USC play the day after groundbreaking and Panthers home opener is two weeks later.

Wow, so we're finally going to actually have a real uptown park!

And it's waaaayyyy overdue. It's funny how other Carolina cities have enjoyed signature urban parks for some time now and Charlotte is the laggard here. Once this park is built, Charlotteans will wonder how they ever got along without it.

So the only thing that makes a signature urban park is success?

Here's a good summary of what a signature park is from Hoisington Koegler Group Inc., a Minnesota-based planning and landscape architecture firm. The following comes from a report the firm prepared for the city of Minneapolis for its Downtown Minneapolis Park Space Initiative:

Almost every major city in America has a downtown signature park, a place that serves as a central public gathering place, a point of local pride and a status symbol that acts as a city's public heart. These are places that belong to everyone – the rich, the poor, the young, the old, residents, and out-of-towners. While signature urban squares and parks often have outstanding trees, lawns, flower gardens and other ecological amenities, the true measure of success comes from being people-centered places to meet friends, eat, enjoy a concert, stumble upon an unexpected exhibition, talk with visitors or just people-watch.

Sounds like a signature urban park indeed must be "successful" to me and this description sounds nothing like Marshall Park. I thought that much should be obvious.

Here's a good summary of what a signature park is from Hoisington Koegler Group Inc., a Minnesota-based planning and landscape architecture firm. The following comes from a report the firm prepared for the city of Minneapolis for its Downtown Minneapolis Park Space Initiative:

Almost every major city in America has a downtown signature park, a place that serves as a central public gathering place, a point of local pride and a status symbol that acts as a city's public heart. These are places that belong to everyone – the rich, the poor, the young, the old, residents, and out-of-towners. While signature urban squares and parks often have outstanding trees, lawns, flower gardens and other ecological amenities, the true measure of success comes from being people-centered places to meet friends, eat, enjoy a concert, stumble upon an unexpected exhibition, talk with visitors or just people-watch.

Sounds like a signature urban park indeed must be "successful" to me and this description sounds nothing like Marshall Park. I thought that much should be obvious.

All cities with great parks are close to downtown workers and centrally located, have plenty of shade trees to lie under, a gazebo for weekend entertainment, a relaxing water source with a fountain, mimes and/or entertainers at least on weekends, a sidewalk with vendors, and security to make it clean and safe. I am not sure if there is enough room downtown to support a "signature" park. A park with a walkway from Duke Energy area to Gateway would be a feasable location that has lots of unused space unless the baseball park is built.