Bearden Park in Third Ward, Uptown Charlotte

dubone

All cities with great parks are close to downtown workers and centrally located, have plenty of shade trees to lie under, a gazebo for weekend entertainment, a relaxing water source with a fountain, mimes and/or entertainers at least on weekends, a sidewalk with vendors, and security to make it clean and safe. I am not sure if there is enough room downtown to support a "signature" park. A park with a walkway from Duke Energy area to Gateway would be a feasable location that has lots of unused space unless the baseball park is built.

The 3rd Ward Park is being billed as a signature park and I think it will be. It will have the physical features you mentioned and it will be central enough to uptown to draw workers and residents (one block west of Tryon). It also has enough land surrounding it to provide the right mix of uses to be viable all times of day. Also, a park doesn't have to be huge to be signature; Campus Martius Park in Detroit is considered a signature urban space and it's only 2.5 acres, less than half the size that 3rd Ward Park will be. More locally, the 1.9-acre Center City Park in Greensboro is billed as that city's signature urban park.

The 3rd Ward Park is being billed as a signature park and I think it will be. It will have the physical features you mentioned and it will be central enough to uptown to draw workers and residents (one block west of Tryon). It also has enough land surrounding it to provide the right mix of uses to be viable all times of day. Also, a park doesn't have to be huge to be signature; Campus Martius Park in Detroit is considered a signature urban space and it's only 2.5 acres, less than half the size that 3rd Ward Park will be. More locally, the 1.9-acre Center City Park in Greensboro is billed as that city's signature urban park.

I actually think a "smaller" park would be more intimate - especially in contrast to the impersonality of banking towers, glass and marble.

Freedom Park is 98 acres - it's not in Uptown, so it doesn't feel like Charlotte's premier "central" park - but it certainly is a signature park.

I actually think a "smaller" park would be more intimate - especially in contrast to the impersonality of banking towers, glass and marble.

I think we have that in Fourth Ward already though and to a lesser extent over in Frazier Park.

Let's not forget First Ward Park as well...it's actually going to be almost as large as Romare Bearden I think, but hopefully it will offer something a little different.

According to the Build Romare Bearden Park facebook page, there is supposed to be some signage displayed around uptown to highlight the ground breaking on Sept 2nd. Anyone come across it?

Headed into Uptown on 4th, there's a banner hanging on the railroad trestle/underpass (right before Graham St). Has the date and the Park and Rec website.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/09/01/2569302/bearden-park-coming-to-life.html

Great type-up in the "O" today about Romare Bearden Park! I'm pumped that this is finally going to be a reality, even if it is two years away. It'll also be nice to see some construction in uptown.

Also, hello, I've been lurking this site for a good 3 years and finally decided to contribute. Thanks for keeping me interested all in city development!

I was in uptown on Saturday to tailgate for the ECU/USC game. Our regular spot for Panther games is smack dab in the middle of this park (guess we will be somewhere else next season). You could see where they brought in the construction equipment and fencing to begin the building demo. Unfortunately the camera on my phone crapped out (touch screens must not like humidity) so I wasn't able to snap pics. Never the less it's good to see this park to officially be under construction.

• 2 weeks later...

I drive right by the construction site just about everyday and as far as I can tell they haven't lifted a finger since they broke ground. The site is fenced off and there is some large consctruction equipment on the site but no movement. I'm wondering if they just wanted to break ground for publicity reasons even though they're not ready to full on construct the park.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone able to snap a quick pic of any progress on this site? I've scoured the internet for any construction updates but can't seem to find any. I'm assuming demolition and grading is still going on.

I don't have any pics but went by yesterday. Demolition is close to complete but grading hasn't really begun. The buildings are all down but foundations are still there.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone seen a projected opening date for Bearden Park? I can't seem to find one...

The only thing I've seen published is on the Charlotte Center City Partners site: http://www.charlottecentercity.org/center_city/development/27/romare-bearden-park/ . It says "2012" as the completion date. I thought I remember reading somewhere that they said it would be ready prior to the DNC. Though, I find that hard to believe unless they have a plan to really fast track it. I went by there a few weeks ago it looked like they were still tearing up asphalt and cleaning up after the building demolition.

As with the greenway, unfortunately, civil work isn't that photogenic. It'll look like nothing is going on for months as they lay subsurface and utilities, then suddenly they'll pour sidewalks and plant trees. Apart from a few site walls and trellises, we won't get to enjoy watching anything go vertical.