SC Presidential Primary 2008

whitehourseview

The SC GOP is reported that it will have the 2008 Presidential Primary would be on Saturday, January 19.

The affect is that it will, by NH law, push the New Hampshire primary until around January 8 or so.

Meaning the Iowa caucuses could happen in mid-December.

Weird stuff, to have the first delegates assigned before the calendar hits 2008.

SC wanted to change the date of the primary because of Florida's move up and the SC GOP's desire to have the primary on a date before the rest of the South and the February "Super Tuesday".

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't the UK limit the time for campaigning? I've heard that, but not sure. With it being so early and there's so much bickering and whatnot already, I'd be up for limiting when you can start filing and when you can campaign. It probably violates something to do that, who knows, but it's getting ridiculous, I agree. They say that next year is a big election year. Just like they said in 2000, and 2004. No different really, we're still electing a president, which is still just as important of a job. So, nothing is going to change in the future, it will get earlier and earlier...

Doesn't the UK limit the time for campaigning? I've heard that, but not sure. With it being so early and there's so much bickering and whatnot already, I'd be up for limiting when you can start filing and when you can campaign. It probably violates something to do that, who knows, but it's getting ridiculous, I agree. They say that next year is a big election year. Just like they said in 2000, and 2004. No different really, we're still electing a president, which is still just as important of a job. So, nothing is going to change in the future, it will get earlier and earlier...

My frustration is that the election cycle has essentially gotten to where it starts the day after enauguration. The political people need to get to a consensus about the primary process. If its the Delaware Plan or what have you, the parties or someone with authority needs to set this thing up so there isn't debate about when the elections are going to occur and people don't announce 4 years in advance of their intention to run.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

CNN is reporting the upcoming Obama rally in Columbia that Oprah will be attending is completely sold out and its waiting list only now for tickets. This apparently is being held in an 18,000+ seat venue in Columbia. Is this the largest political rally ever seen in modern SC? (keeping in mind there are many municipalities in the state with smaller populations). Could it also be a sign that SC is shifting away from red state status?

CNN is reporting the upcoming Obama rally in Columbia that Oprah will be attending is completely sold out and its waiting list only now for tickets. This apparently is being held in an 18,000+ seat venue in Columbia. Is this the largest political rally ever seen in modern SC? (keeping in mind there are many municipalities in the state with smaller populations). Could it also be a sign that SC is shifting away from red state status?

SC is not shifting from Red necessarily. There are enough African-Americans, Democrats and Oprah fans statewide to fill the Colonial Center. BUT, filling the Colonial Center is no small feat. No one else currently running could probably do that, even with a celebrity. I think a lot of independents (such as myself) want to see and hear this guy in person, to see if he warrrants the 'hype' he gets.

As for being the largest ever, it certainly has that potential. Reagan had 5,000 in Columbia just before his electon in 1980, in which he took SC in an upset. Eisenhower drew a big crowd in '52 but I don't have exact numbers on that.

I am going to this, and I not driving 100 miles to see Oprah, although it is a nice bonus. The election is a lot closer in proximity now, and getting a lot more atention and press. It is clear that HRC is NOT the inevitable nominee any longer. She will probably come in third in Iowa, which will open things up even more. SC could very well be make or break for HRC and Obama.

Indeed. On the national news on this story last night, they made the implication that South Carolina was probably too racist to vote for Obama. They proceeded to interview several White people that said there were people in the state that would never vote for Obama for this reason. Being a native of SC, I tend to agree, sadly, this is most likely the case. We could hope that people would be so sick of what has become of the government over the last 7 years to put an issue like that past them, but I think it will take at least another generation or two before that happens.

^Powell's political career died after he got in front of a global audience in the UN and showed photos and diagrams of definite proof of WMDs in Iraq which was used to justify the attack and destruction of Iraq by the USA. He either didn't really have the qualifications that it takes to know this wasn't true, and/or he threw out the principles that people thought he had, in support of the war hawks. In either case, Powell was done after that.

I do note that Bill Clinton was in SC today and did not draw that much crowd wise. Certainly not the crowds that Obama has drawn even before Oprah got involved. I think people are nostalgic for Bill Clinton years after the complete meltdown of the government at the hands of GW Bush but beyond that, its not clear to me the people support his wife.

Obama, before Oprah, in fact has been drawing bigger crowds than ANY candidate.

Archived