SC Presidential Primary 2008

whitehourseview

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No doubt if he is nominated it will become a test of the bigotry that remains in the USA. I note the only contested Senate seat the Democrats lost in 2006 was in Tennessee where the race card was used against Ford. I saw it used here twice in NC in the 1990s when Jessie Helms ran against Black candidates. If he is nominated, expect to see a smear campaign of epic proportions.

Actually some of the gerrymandering that you are referring to is due to the Federal Voting Rights Act of 1965 and its subsequent amendments. There are special requirements that only apply to the following states. Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Virginia. They apply differently even to some of these states in specific clauses down to the district level.

It was an attempt to remove the laws from state books found in these states that prevented Blacks and other minorities from being able to vote and the law was recently renewed in the last congress. Because of the provisions of these laws, it forces states such as NC to draw lines that would appear to be gerrymandered because as soon as the districts are drawn, the lawsuits begin which can last for more than a decade at which time the census requires them to be redrawn again. For example, NC did not hold a primary in 2006 (so we never got to choose who would run for president) because a judge declared the existing districts illegal.

I'm not saying the VRA is no longer needed, just that it is ineffective. My main issue with it is that its statues- namely preclearance- are all based on the population in 1960. If you can explain to me how that makes any sense here in the year 2007 (47 years later), please do. I'm not opposed to the premise of the law, but I think that using current population counts would make much more sense in order to fairly apply it to all states that fall in the category, and not just Southern States and those other random counties elsewhere.

No doubt if he is nominated it will become a test of the bigotry that remains in the USA. I note the only contested Senate seat the Democrats lost in 2006 was in Tennessee where the race card was used against Ford. I saw it used here twice in NC in the 1990s when Jessie Helms ran against Black candidates. If he is nominated, expect to see a smear campaign of epic proportions.

I'm not saying the VRA is no longer needed, just that it is ineffective. My main issue with it is that its statues- namely preclearance- are all based on the population in 1960. If you can explain to me how that makes any sense here in the year 2007 (47 years later), please do. I'm not opposed to the premise of the law, but I think that using current population counts would make much more sense in order to fairly apply it to all states that fall in the category, and not just Southern States and those other random counties elsewhere.

And yet Ohio is not on the list, last time I checked. Your only proving my point, which is that the legislation as it exists is clearly ineffective. To continue to unfairly target South Carolina and other southern states when this type of thing is still happening in the rest of the nation is even worse.

• 4 weeks later...

The spotlight will start to shine very bright on SC after tonight. Huckabee will largely bypass NH and come here. I expect Thompson to do poorly in Iowa and drop out soon. If McCain wins NH, he, Huckabee and Romney will be battling it out for SC in a big way.

Both Clinton and Obama will be in columbia for a King Day event. The Myrtle Beach debate will be the same night as well. Don't forget Edwards is a native and won here last time, so he will be looking for momentum or perhaps (depending on how Iowa goew) a life preserver from SC.

Get ready for lots of direct mail, robo calls, TV ads, yard signs and media attention.

Archived