SC Presidential Primary 2008

whitehourseview

Your math still does not add up.

Obama got 78% of Black vote which made up 55% of voters. Hence he got 42.9% of the Black vote. This is not reflective of the percentages that you gave above. Hillary Clinton got to 2nd place primarily due to the Black vote she got. Edwards failed to attract much of anything beyond the white voters.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your math still does not add up.

Obama got 78% of Black vote which made up 55% of voters. Hence he got 42.9% of the Black vote. This is not reflective of the percentages that you gave above. Hillary Clinton got to 2nd place primarily due to the Black vote she got. Edwards failed to attract much of anything beyond the white voters.

OK, I can get with that. But I wouldn't use that to say that "SC is no longer color blind" (what state is?). As I stated earlier, just a few months ago, Hillary had a formidable lead among Black voters in SC. So yes, while race did indeed play a part here, it was really only a secondary or tertiary factor among many Black voters. Many had to really get to know Obama, and some wanted to see if he was electable among the majority (Whites) first before deciding whether or not to back him so as not to feel that their vote would be "wasted."

I could just as easily say that New Hampshire isn't "gender blind" since it was the female vote that caused Hillary to get the majority of votes in that state. But what would we be proving? Only that it's natural that people tend to align themselves with those whom they identify with in some tangible, salient way. The people of South Carolina would be no better or worse had the majority of Blacks voted for Hillary or John or the majority of Whites voted for Obama.

Yes I did delete it. I said move on and that 1/2 page of mathematics, nobody wants to read. You have expressed your opinion that the white people who voted for Obama were not Democrats and hence "irrelevant" and that people who voted for people that looked like themselves. OK your opinion is noted and it isn't necessary to hammer the topic for us to understand how you feel about it.

I think that one key fact y'all are forgetting is that the Democratic Party in SC is very small compared to the Republican Party, and practically irrelevant.

One of the more interesting statistics to come out of this, is that 532,227 people voted in the SC Democratic Primary whilst the GOP only got 366,226 people to come out for their primary last week. At face value this could mean that SC is headed to becoming a blue state. If SC becomes blue, this can't mean good things for the Republican party.

Posted earlier for the republican results, here are the democrat results as well as the republicans: http://politics.nytimes.com/election-guide.../states/SC.html

Despite the point Florida made (& I did find his analysis interesting), winning in the Upstate counties with less than 25% Black population is huge. Even assuming that Barack has been pigeon holed as a "Black candidate" by the Clintons, the typical racial makeup for many rural counties - at least in the upper south & midwest is 75% White. Barack has proven he can win in these areas. The margin may have been even higher, if you assume as I do that most Edward supporters would vote for Obama between a choice of Obama & Clinton. Edwards only won in one county, but came in second in all the Upstate counties.

If you review the NYT profile of voters further - Obama nearly sweeped every demographic category - income, age, education & political philosophy. Still hard to tell how SC will lean towards in November - but ignoring the race issue, hopefully SC & Iowa has proven that Obama can win in the heartland of the US (ignoring the NE, California & Florida).

• 2 weeks later...
I think that one key fact y'all are forgetting is that the Democratic Party in SC is very small compared to the Republican Party, and practically irrelevant.

You have an intriguing point because 1) Obama won big time, and 2) McCain- the more moderate candidate on the Republican side won, when I think most people expected Huckabee to win.

I do think that the weather had a lot to do with the turnout, since it was heavily raining across the entire state last week. I don't think the Democrats' numbers being higher than the Republicans' is necessarily relevant.

• 4 weeks later...

According to a statewide poll conducted by the Institute for Public Service and Policy Research at the University of South Carolina, most South Carolinians think that America is ready for a female/african american president. The stats are interesting... a higher percentage of men than women think that Americans are ready to elect a woman president (68.8% to 56.9%) and men are also more likely to think this country is ready to elect an African-American or black as president (85.3% to 74.1%).

Archived