Tanger Outlet Center Planned in Mebane

DCMetroRaleigh

Tanger Factory Outlet Centers has plans to build a 350,000-square-foot retail center in Mebane, a project valued at more than $15 million, according to construction estimates.

Carrie Warren, spokeswoman for the Greensboro-based company, said Tanger had bought 58 acres along Interstate 85 near the Alamance and Orange County line. The shopping center would need to be 50 percent leased before construction begins, Warren, said, but it will likely open in late 2008 or early 2009.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/stories/2...html?from_rss=1

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either that or raze BMOC for something new and fresh! I don't think the renovation currently in progress by the Raleigh contractor will be close enough to revive it.

Hmm is another factory outlet center really necessary?? Why can't they just take the Burlington Square Mall instead...

BMOC is a mess. I think they should go in the direction of making pedestrians the focus of the center. Right now people would rather the short distances between each outlet section. Installing a light at the intersection of the two main roads within the center along with cross walks would go a long way. Trees and better landscaping would help also. I would like to see a grocer and movie theater added to the site. Each one would be a catylist for growth and business. (a name change wouldn't hurt either) ^_^

I think it's time for BMOC to go through a major revitalization. In this I mean, demolish and start from scratch with a mixed-use project or do a complete overhaul on the center. That stretch of 49 is a horrible mess and screams for new life. If Tanger does decide to go through with this new project, I can see many of the existing tenants at BMOC moving.

I think it's time for BMOC to go through a major revitalization. In this I mean, demolish and start from scratch with a mixed-use project or do a complete overhaul on the center. That stretch of 49 is a horrible mess and screams for new life. If Tanger does decide to go through with this new project, I can see many of the existing tenants at BMOC moving.

Good point. I can see many retailers leaving BMOC to the new outlet center. The only large scale retailer I can see remaining would be Bridal Mart :scared:. Yes the NC 49/ Maple Avenue corridor is going down, too me its Burlington's equivelent of Randleman Rd in Greensboro.

Yeah, the new Mebane outlook will hopefully be built with a 21 st century sensiblity that will be much more pedestrian-friendly than centers built in bygone eras. Moreover, Mebane was probably selected to capitalize on its BiMetro locale within the both the Triangle and Triad. If this outlet is built, look for east Alamance to pop as a retail hub.

Yeah, the new Mebane outlook will hopefully be built with a 21 st century sensiblity that will be much more pedestrian-friendly than centers built in bygone eras.

:lol: Don't count on it. It's almost a given that since this is going in the area with Flying J, Petro, and other numerous truck stops it will most likely be serving the automobile 100% of the time.

Mebane Oaks Road, and NC 119 (fifth street) are very different areas than the truck stops exits of 150,152, and 157 where the only thing there is just the truck stop. Mebane does a better job when it comes to pedestrians than the areas around it (Burlington, Hillsborough). You actually can walk around most of Mebane, because almost all of Mebane has sidewalks. The planned Tanger Outlet center/ Mebane Hospital/Housing development will be walkable. How pedestrian friendly it is remains to be seen.

• 1 month later...

Recently in the Alamance News their is a report that Tanger Properties wants to double the retail space in this project going from 300,000 to 550,000 sq ft. Tanger plans seven large retail buildings, two 120 room hotels, two 8,000 sq ft sit-down resturants, and two 3,500 sq ft fast food restuarants. One hotel, and one sit-down restaurant would be located in Orange County. Additional 140 acres have been approved for residential and work on that part of the project has begun. Alamance Regional Medical Center's Mebane hospital on that property has made alot of progress. Final plans for the expanded retail part of this project will be submitted to the mebane city council on October 1st.

ANy projected start date for construction?

No start date was mentioned in the article, but it does mention that Tanger wants to speak with NCDOT concerning traffic caused by the development before the come with their formal presentation to the Mebane city council on October 1st. I would have to believe once this project is approved it won't take long for construction to start giving how hot that area is right now.

I noticed this past weekend that some renovations are going on. I was just passing by BMOC ...but the outside of the buildings are getting a facelift of some kind.

• 8 months later...

Burlington Outlet village is dead. most if it has been sold, became cheesy clubs, or is a part of ACC. The remainder has been remodeled into something worse then before.

This post and many entries here are inaccurate. The majority of Burlington Outlets is now under one ownership as of 2007, and has been very well renovated given what it was. See www.burlingtonoutletvillage.com to review stores and photos. The project is also far from dead. Considering how nasty the place used to be, it is a jewel today. The vast majority of the tenants who left did so because entire companies shut down, not because of this property. It is still nearly 70% occupied with the best name brand bargain shopping in the Triad, and adding Alamance Community College is a huge plus for the community and the neighborhood. Would you prefer that the neighborhood decline further by neglect? That is what happened with the previous owners who ignored it and sold it off in pieces. Want to know who that was?

Stanley Tanger, founder of Tanger Outlets.

Yes, Maple Avenue in Burlington is a mess, but it is the original gateway into downtown Burlington and it looks like it. Would we all love to see it all demolished and made new? Sure. Is it going to happen? Not overnight, but at least a few trepid souls are trying.

By the way, the Tanger deal in Mebane is on indefinite hold. They have NOT purchased the land, the grading you see is for the roads, NOT for Tanger buildings, and the tenants are on hold due to the turmoil in the retail industry. The cannot get financing and they never got to 50% leasing status.

Consider also that there is no such thing as a truly pedestrian friendly large shopping center unless all the stores are packed together in a mall, either indoors or outdoors. Even at Friendly Center and Alamance Crossings you have to get in your car to get truly around.

If the people of the Triad want to see challenged neighborhoods restored or improved, they better support those who are trying to make a difference instead of just whining.

This post and many entries here are inaccurate. The majority of Burlington Outlets is now under one ownership as of 2007, and has been very well renovated given what it was. See www.burlingtonoutletvillage.com to review stores and photos. The project is also far from dead. Considering how nasty the place used to be, it is a jewel today. The vast majority of the tenants who left did so because entire companies shut down, not because of this property. It is still nearly 70% occupied with the best name brand bargain shopping in the Triad, and adding Alamance Community College is a huge plus for the community and the neighborhood. Would you prefer that the neighborhood decline further by neglect? That is what happened with the previous owners who ignored it and sold it off in pieces. Want to know who that was?

Stanley Tanger, founder of Tanger Outlets.

Yes, Maple Avenue in Burlington is a mess, but it is the original gateway into downtown Burlington and it looks like it. Would we all love to see it all demolished and made new? Sure. Is it going to happen? Not overnight, but at least a few trepid souls are trying.

By the way, the Tanger deal in Mebane is on indefinite hold. They have NOT purchased the land, the grading you see is for the roads, NOT for Tanger buildings, and the tenants are on hold due to the turmoil in the retail industry. The cannot get financing and they never got to 50% leasing status.

Consider also that there is no such thing as a truly pedestrian friendly large shopping center unless all the stores are packed together in a mall, either indoors or outdoors. Even at Friendly Center and Alamance Crossings you have to get in your car to get truly around.

If the people of the Triad want to see challenged neighborhoods restored or improved, they better support those who are trying to make a difference instead of just whining.

Welcome to the forum jianco! We appreciate your input!

Thank you for the link, but, personally, I think those renovations are the epitome of tackiness. It appears as if Walt Disney was the lead architect on these plans. It would have looked a tad classier if all stores had uniformed signage and added architectural features to make the buildings distinct from one another. Did they even repave the parking lot or upgrade the sidewalks? If you're going to renovate, at least do it right.

I drive to the Triangle at least five to six times a month, and this stretch of 40/85 is by far the ugliest. That access road near BMOC, bordering the interstate, is hideous with cheaply made and neon signs. Is it too much to ask for some landscaping in BMOC?

According to real estate sites, Tanger has indeed purchased the land they need to start their project. Where did you hear that they hadn't?

I agree that we need to promote pedestrian oriented developments, but this center was a prime opportunity to re-do a bad planning disaster and make it a model project for Burlington.

Wow it's not too often my post create new membership.

Considering how nasty the place used to be, it is a jewel today
That is a bit of a stretch but yes, they did a good job renovating it from what it was. Being someone who knows what the area once resembled and the amount of business and tourism the area brought in its hard to call this a major improvement, the outlet village is colorful and barn-like now. Its not the new owners fault at all. It is the city of Burlington's fault and the previous owners fault for not wanting to change. The land use for this area is horrible. Sidewalks for the most part are non existent where there are sidewalks or whats left of them there are no crosswalks or cross signals. I disagree that BMOC...Burlington Outlet Village can not be more pedestrain friendly. For starters the speed limit could be reduced, better signage could be added, and raised crosswalks could be constructed. A landscaped median in Maple Ave and/or Corporation Parkway would go a long way towards helping this area. I don't mean to offend you jianco but I have problems with lack of design and planning in Burlington especially when it comes to pedestrians. I watch children and old people run for their lives across Huffman Mill Road going to K-Mart daily, when the Burlington Area gets a bus system these problems will come to light much more than they do now.

The only real part of Alamance Crossing someone would feel uncomfortable walking to would be Belks or JCPenneys. I know many people who jog and walk to this area daily including myself. As for Friendly center I'm not sure, but the Shops at Friendly didn't seem to be too bad concerning pedestrians FWIW.

Yes, Maple Avenue in Burlington is a mess, but it is the original gateway into downtown Burlington and it looks like it. Would we all love to see it all demolished and made new? Sure. Is it going to happen? Not overnight, but at least a few trepid souls are trying
Who are these few trepid souls? What are they doing to try?. The whole area is blighted, unfortunately it is the gateway to downtown Burlington which includes a decrepid Maple Ave, one of Burlington's largest bottlenecks at Chapel Hill Road, Petersburg projects, and some run down houses, basically Randleman Road, but in Burlington.

Who are these people who want to imporve and restore challenged neighborhoods so I can support them especially in Alamance County?

Welcome to the forum jianco! We appreciate your input!

Thank you for the link, but, personally, I think those renovations are the epitome of tackiness. It appears as if Walt Disney was the lead architect on these plans. It would have looked a tad classier if all stores had uniformed signage and added architectural features to make the buildings distinct from one another. Did they even repave the parking lot or upgrade the sidewalks? If you're going to renovate, at least do it right.

I drive to the Triangle at least five to six times a month, and this stretch of 40/85 is by far the ugliest. That access road near BMOC, bordering the interstate, is hideous with cheaply made and neon signs. Is it too much to ask for some landscaping in BMOC?

According to real estate sites, Tanger has indeed purchased the land they need to start their project. Where did you hear that they hadn't?

I agree that we need to promote pedestrian oriented developments, but this center was a prime opportunity to re-do a bad planning disaster and make it a model project for Burlington.

Parking lot repaving has not yet been completed, nor has landscaping. Nobody with any concern about plants landscapes now because this is the worst season to plant. Fall and winter is planting time. Burlington Outlets has no capacity to influence the hideous Interstate properties and signs. Only the owners can. If a developer has unlimited stupid capital there are lots of things that can be done. But this is Burlington, not 5th Avenue. So we get what the market will give, not what we want... when it comes to development.

I had someone call the tax office a couple weeks ago to see if they closed on the land. They had not done so. There will be no outlets in Mebane for a while.

• 1 year later...

Mebane is in a great location. It literally sits on the Triad/Triangle border (Alamance/Orange County line). Mebane will eventually explode with more development. However that could one day lead to continuous sprawl between Greensboro and Durham.

Archived