Tanger Outlet Center Planned in Mebane

DCMetroRaleigh

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as this project is helping to make occur...

I still think that Orange County will be the exurban holdout for a while on 40 and 85 between Raleigh and Greensboro. Pretty much the only part of the county north of Chapel Hill that allows for any suburban like development is within Hillsborough's borders, and several of the parcels available within town are already slowly being developed (Hampton Pointe Shopping Center, Waterstone (albeit at this point it just has a community college and a proposed UNC hospital going for it))....Mebane has always seemed more pro growth, and I think their population reflects that. Hillsborough and Mebane's population used to be comparible at around 5,000 each, but I think Mebane is up to 10,000+ now while Hillsborough might be up to 6,000 as of this year.

• 1 month later...

I had the pleasure of meeting the project manager for this project today while at work. He has just moved down here from Minnesota. This project is a go, look for construction to start within the next couple of months. The scope of this project is large and will change Mebane forever. I asked him about the tenants that were coming and ofcourse I was told that they were a secret. I was told that everyone here would be pleased and they were unique to this region.

Got some tenant names!

The outlet will include stores such as Saks Fifth Avenue OFF 5th, Banana Republic Factory Store, Coach Factory, Gap Outlet, J. Crew, Michael Kors, BCBG/Girls, Nike Factory Store and Tommy Hilfiger.

Press Release

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?...&highlight=

I think most of those have a location in Concord Mills or the Morrisville Outlets except maybe BCBG and Michael Kors

Got some tenant names!

The outlet will include stores such as Saks Fifth Avenue OFF 5th, Banana Republic Factory Store, Coach Factory, Gap Outlet, J. Crew, Michael Kors, BCBG/Girls, Nike Factory Store and Tommy Hilfiger.

Press Release

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?...&highlight=

I think most of those have a location in Concord Mills or the Morrisville Outlets except maybe BCBG and Michael Kors

Whew, that's a list, that is. Usually outlet centers that draw names like that are either on the outskirts of "big cities" or in areas that are more tourist oriented; can't quite figure how Mebane fits into all this, especially with Concord Mills not all that far away. Well, I'm sure they're banking more on long distance travelers on 40 spotting them and swerving in than on business from this part of the world. Not that I'm complaining. I just don't want this venture to end up like the ill fated Fort Chiswell Outlets in VA--proof positive that highway visibility isn't always enough to cut it. But enough crying woe. I really am pleased about the project and wish it well. :)

Whew, that's a list, that is. Usually outlet centers that draw names like that are either on the outskirts of "big cities" or in areas that are more tourist oriented; can't quite figure how Mebane fits into all this, especially with Concord Mills not all that far away. Well, I'm sure they're banking more on long distance travelers on 40 spotting them and swerving in than on business from this part of the world. Not that I'm complaining. I just don't want this venture to end up like the ill fated Fort Chiswell Outlets in VA--proof positive that highway visibility isn't always enough to cut it. But enough crying woe. I really am pleased about the project and wish it well. :)

It's between the Triad and the Triangle. It seems like it will have nicer stores than Concord Mills and may even get some people from Charlotte, plus long distance travelers. It should do well...

The location makes sense to me. In between about 3 million people, close proximity to Chapel Hill wheres there is alot of expendable income. Abundant colleges and universities full of college students wanting a good deal on clothes. Alamance County has a population of 150,000+ now. A large portion of Mebane's working population is employed at UNC, Duke, and RTP. I dont feel Mebane Oaks Road will have the capacity to support traffic generated from this project without further widening and intersection improvements. It would be nice for the developer to help open an interchange thats been propsed for awhile at Mebane Factory Rd (mm 155).

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like it's a go:

Tanger sets date for Mebane groundbreaking

Tanger Factory Outlet Centers Inc. will break ground on its new outlet shopping center in Mebane next month.

North Carolina Gov. Bev Perdue is expected to attend a “Holiday Ground Breaking Ceremony” at 11 a.m. on Thursday, Dec. 10.

Headquartered in Greensboro, Tanger has purchased a 52-acre parcel in the Arrowhead development off Mebane Oaks Road at exit 154 off Interstate 85/40. The project is slated for completion in late 2010.

The 317,000-square-foot Tanger Outlet Center in Mebane will include approximately 80 brand name and designer outlet stores. These stores include Saks Fifth Avenue OFF 5th, Banana Republic Factory Store, Coach Factory, Gap Outlet, J. Crew, Michael Kors, BCBG/Girls, Nike Factory Store, Tommy Hilfiger and so many more of today’s leading brand and designer names.

Mebane is in a great location. It literally sits on the Triad/Triangle border (Alamance/Orange County line). Mebane will eventually explode with more development. However that could one day lead to continuous sprawl between Greensboro and Durham.

I can see that. On our final leg of our drive home from Las Vegas I was really surprised by the amount of development that has grown from East G-boro to Burlington. So basically there was continuous development from the BUS40/I-40 split all the way to eastern Alamance. My wife and I were like WOW this place has grown since we moved from G-boro in 97. It has the feel a 285 north Altanta. This is perhaps the best example of NC metro population driven development that is in conjuction with an interstate. You really feel you are in a city/metro region. Unlike the drive through Raleigh were all you see is trees. Not saying that is a bad thing but I-40 through there looks like it belongs to a city of 40,000.

• 2 weeks later...

Tanger breaks bround on outlet center. Stores will include Saks Fifth Avenue, OFF 5th, Banana Republic and many more. HA HA wont be long before we'll see a BassPro Shops being built nearby.

Tanger predicts the new center will attract 5 million visitors a year, drawing shoppers off the interstate, from the Triad and Triangle.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/12/10/article/new_store_names_reveled_at_tanger_groundbreaking

http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=134302&catid=57

Clearly Mebane has a bright future in terms of retail and quite possibly a destination hub for other thing. If North Carolina ever got another theme park, the Mebane area would be the front runner for the park. (attracting visitors from both the Triad and Triangle)

• 8 months later...

Tanger Outlet on the eastern edge of the Triad is still on track for opening in November. I think we are going to see a lot of development going up in the vicinity. Expect to see a Bass Pro Shops open up in this area. Because of Tanger's location, it should attract shoppers from Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Raleigh and Durham.

Tanger is already 90% leased. Polo Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers, QVC, Saks Fifth Avenue and 75 plus other retailers will be opening outlet stores.

While the Brooks Brothers Outlet store won't be a retail store like the one in Greensboro, it will be the second Brooks Brothers location in the Triad. Brooks Brothers was the first major upscale clothing chain to enter the Triad market.

http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=146723&catid=57

Note that the Charlotte Observer characterizes Tanger as being on "the western edge of the TRIANGLE."

http://www.charlotte...are-bright.html

You are correct! This development is located in Orange County, which is part of the Triangle, so why is it being characterized as a Triad development?

Wishful thinking I suppose.

Back in the late '90s I lived in Hillsborough (which is about 10 miles east of Mebane) and while Mebane does straddle the county line I think most of it is in Alamance County with a tiny area (not including the satellite annexed truck stop at Buckhorn Rd) east of downtown in Orange County. Now I know there's a big "Welcome to Alamance County" sign at one of the exits in Mebane (I live in Raleigh now so I don't get out that way much nowadays), but I think there's a smaller sign east of the exit that indicates the actual county line.

I plan on making a trip up that way once they open :-)

Actually Mebane and Alamance County is in the Triad. It may not technically be in the Greensboro metropolitan statistical area but it is part of the Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point Combined Statistical Area. So yes its in the Triad. actually the article in the Charlotte observer states this "between Greensboro and the western edges of the Triangle", it doesnt say Mebane or this Tanger project is on the western edge of the Triangle. The fact is Mebane and this project IS in Alamance County which is in the Triad. But it doesn't really matter which side of the county line its located on. The fact of the matter is that the shopping center will attract people from the Triad and Triangle.

triad-map.171173620.jpg

Archived