Today's Weather: Hot & Steamy

monsoon

Whew, I was downtown right at noon and my thermometer was briefly reading 102 degrees. Even now, here at the lake, it is quite warm 94.5 degrees and the humidity is so thick you can cut the air with a knife. The air is polluted today too. Not a good day to be outside for sure.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing it only got down to 78 last night (this morning).

By my count, yesterday and today are only the 3rd and 4th days of 100+ (official Charlotte temp) in the last 6 summers. Quite unusual.

Last summer we hit 96+ a total of 10 times, which was unusual compared to a *total* of 9 times the 4 summers before that. We've hit 96+ the last 6 days in a row, which are the only times we've hit 96+ this year!

Source: weatherunderground.com for station CLT (KCLT)

It's no fun walking dogs in this heat. Luckily many of the dogs I walk don't want to be in the heat either so we go outside quickly so they can go potty and then we play inside. I keep an endless supply of cold water in my car and keeping hydrated throughout the day does help a lot but it's hard not to feel a little miserable and stircrazy. I stayed out late last night just so I could be outside and I was not alone, there was more traffic than usual around midnight because it was just bearable tempwise. Hopefully we just have one more day of this to muddle through.

yea i made the regrettable choice to go climbing at crowders mountain today and can say it was prolly close to the hottest i've ever felt, wouldn't be so bad i guess if it wasn't for this lovely southern humidity, i was just out west (dry) and in temperatures around 110 and it doesnt feel as hot as this.

So hot that there is a report done how two CAT's bus drivers were rushed to the hospital because of no AC in the buses. The only time I've dealth with heat like this is when I vacationed for a week at the end of August in Phoenix, where it got into the 120's ^_^ . Nonetheless, good day to be inside.

Walking around downtown was sweltering hell today. It almost felt like my eyeballs were going to melt out onto my cheeks. But with the pollution just awful, and I have to say, I invented a level of hell's inferno for the people driving by in massively oversized SUVs, with the AC almost certainly blaring. Not only does that do awful things for the air, but the heat coming off those vehicles as they drive by is just wretched.

You could also really feel the decrease in temperature when you get to a park/natural area. It is days like this that make you wish that green roofs were ubiquitous and the urban heat island was not so extreme.

With Russia and Canada fighting over the thawing arctic, and all time/200 year heat records being set, it is about time for the general public to take climate change seriously. I have never felt it so hot in my life, and I have lived on the equator for a part of my life!

The official temperature yesterday was 104. The observer claims this is a tie for the all time record of 104. A couple of people I know downtown told me they spot measured places in the 106-108 range around 3:30pm. We might get another repeat today. Air quality was pretty bad so I would say that anyone regardless of physical ability ought to avoid physical activity outside near the city from noon till maybe 7pm.

rode the scooter uptown to work this morning usual. As soon as I got off and parked the it and walked barely one block, sweat started to form. Luckily for me, the office wasn't too far. Look for another hot one. The guys I feel for most are the construction workers and anyone else who have to toil in this heat for an extended period of time.

I guess I moved from CLT to Vancouver at the right time. The high today will be 72. Instead of carbon trading we need to figure out a way to trade heat. ;) It has been a cool summer here with below average temperatures for the most part.

Archived