What Are The Special Things About The GR Area?

Cabot

In addition to several things mentioned earlier, when I moved to GR from the West Coast several years back, there were a couple things that grabbed my eye that I hadn't seen in other places.

- The Riverbank Run

- Everybody went out to eat on Friday nights

- Fried Ice Cream and Wet Burritos

- West side Polish Halls

- Historic Architecture

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The intended market is talented individuals who are looking at moving to the area. We have many of the talent based organizations in the region looking for help getting people to come to the area. This would also be intended to change the perception of our area across the globe and here at home.

Add the Meyer May house to the list. It's probably not the one thing that would get somebody to move here, but I do think it is a great asset to Grand Rapids. Besides Chicago and a few other places, having something designed by Frank Lloyd Wright is pretty rare. And not just that, it's one of his prairie houses, which are particularly noteworthy IMO.

Just a few fun facts:

Last year, Field & Stream Magazine named Grand Rapids Americas 6th best Fishing City (after Miami, San Diego, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Seattle and New Orleans).

A few years before that, Places Rated Almanac rated Grand Rapids #3 in the nation for Fun & Recreation.

In 2004, Partners for Livable Communites named Grand Rapids one of America's "most livable" mid-sized cities.

The 1913 Room in the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel is Michigan's only 5-star, 5-diamond restaurant. San Chez restaurant is once of America's Top 50 Hispanic restaurants, per Hispanic USA Magazine.

The River Bank Run is America's largest 25K road race.

Grand Rapids Civic Theatre is America's oldest and second largest community theater.

I think what would be interesting is to hear from anyone on this forum (or anywhere else) that is still quite new to GR and in the same boat as these future movers. What about getting some young professionals that recently moved here and interview them? How has moving to Grand Rapids shaped your future?

Exactly what I was going to say Rizzo. Has there been any market research done on people who have moved to Grand Rapids in the past 3 - 5 years? Relocation companies, recruiters, downtown developers and large builders in the area could probably provide invaluable information.

I say that, because the real easy part is asking those folks who made the move back around 2000. There's no denying the community growth that GR area had and really continues to have now. If only there could be way to reach this group of people and see what they expected of GR when they got here and what they know now. What things most surprised them? What community events do they go to? How has Grand Rapids shaped their future?

I'm sure there is just plenty of stories waiting to be told. If I had to move to GR and not sure of the area, I'd rather hear it from people that were in the same boat as I would be. I don't think I would appreciate a salesperson. (No disrespect to salespeople)

We will have a new resident testimonial from a broad spectrum of people, I'm thinking everything from the typical boomerang to the med student to VAI researcher.

When we get to that part of the project I will shoot a message out to the board to see if there are any nominations I should contact for an interview.

Thanks again for all of the comments.

One thing that was great when I was in GR/West Michigan this past week was the abundance of great fruit and vegetables available. While we can get some of the same stuff here in Chicago at the farmers market, it's still not as fresh as from a roadside stand and not anywhere near as cheap!

• 3 weeks later...
Clearwire is not being absorbed by Sprint Nextel. My understanding is that they've entered into a strategic arrangment to, in pratice, monopolize WiMax. As Sprint has a mobile broadbrand service at three times the cost of what Clearwire had intended, it will be interesting to see how the WiMax service rolls out. No projects are on hold, per se and I don't believe Clearwire ever committed to a timeline for Grand Rapids. The official statement last year was that Clearwire would not roll out a G.R. plan until mobile WiMax is available, and I have a hard time believing that Sprint is in a hurry to go there. As a consumer, I'd like them to just can the whole mobile part of it and introduce a real competitor to Comcast to the market, but that would defeat the city's original intent.

As someone who spends several hours of every work week listing to collocation updates, I can assure you that Clearwire's plans are on hold indefinitely.

There have been several articles about this in recent issues of the trade publication RCR Wireless News. And NPR had a lengthy segment about the city of Chicago's wireless internet cloud suddenly, well, clearing up.

Archived