The 1 Thing I want to see DT would be?

gvsusean

When I visited San Diego last year, my friends and I took a really cool almost self-guided trolley tour from Coronado Island to Old San Diego for the day, and had a really cool tour of the city. Alhough I know that the differences between San Diego and GR are many, I still think that it would really be cool if GR could have something like that, someday.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like this topic has petered out a bit, even from the last post yesterday, but reading the thread, I can't help but to add a comment...

Okay, the BIG one for me is the downtown GROCERY. Nothing too huge (no space for it anyway), but a D&W type grocery store. The smaller newstandy-type are all we have now, even City Market, and with smaller size, you never know what you will and won't be able to find. I've also spent more because the shops are smaller. A grocery Store would be heaven. I know our critical mass has to expand downtown to warrant such a place - but I am dreaming.

And a side note on the parking issue: I used to live in Chicago, and of course we are not that size here, but I have found - overall - that Grand Rapidians are lazy when it comes to the idea of walking. Before you jump all over me, yes, this is a generalization and I know there are exceptions. However, walk a couple of blocks if you can't find a meter. This may mean you might park across the river and walk - gasp - four or five blocks. Or pay $6 or $7 (which is not much at all for urban parking) to park in a ramp.

Grocery Store. Definately. And that comment about paying for the plastic bags, I have not seen that before and I love it!

Aiming High,

I think you are absolutely right about people being lazy. It's like the article about the Children's Museum having parking issues even though there is a brand new parking ramp 4 blocks away- with 1 hour free parking. I don't know what the solution is, but it makes me laugh when people talk about it.

Joe

And a side note on the parking issue: I used to live in Chicago, and of course we are not that size here, but I have found - overall - that Grand Rapidians are lazy when it comes to the idea of walking. Before you jump all over me, yes, this is a generalization and I know there are exceptions. However, walk a couple of blocks if you can't find a meter. This may mean you might park across the river and walk - gasp - four or five blocks. Or pay $6 or $7 (which is not much at all for urban parking) to park in a ramp.

Since this is a "wish list" thread, I would like to see No Vehical days in downtown GR. This would mean that there would be no traffic from about Monroe through Ransom, or maybe College. And from, oh, 6th St. through Fulton. People would have to walk, or bike, or rollerblade to and from their destinations. Just to see what it would like to be dt with no traffic backed up anywhere, and no cars all over the place. It might slow us down a little bit too - realize we don't have to be in such a hurry.

I also like to eat at Weber Grill in Chicago, so that would work for me too.

Aiming High,

I think you are absolutely right about people being lazy. It's like the article about the Children's Museum having parking issues even though there is a brand new parking ramp 4 blocks away- with 1 hour free parking. I don't know what the solution is, but it makes me laugh when people talk about it.

Joe

I don't disagree on the general disappointment in the lack of motivation for most folks to walk a measly 4 blocks. However, the children's museum is something of a special case. When children are involved that 4 blocks can seem like 4 miles when faced with either dragging a recalcitrant child or children that distance or pushing a stroller and dragging an older child or some combination thereof.

Maybe this will swing it back. Here's something that I'd like to see. A big mixed used development with ground floor retail at Market & Fulton, like we've discussed many times before.

This is all the same complex from different angles, and includes a Lucky Strike, Urban Outfitters, a movie theater and several other bars/restaurants and retailers:

1249246197_de2ea0058d_b.jpg

1249237665_bb2f922da9_b.jpg

1248907903_fad6508632_b.jpg

1248904585_67ca1ca4e0_b.jpg

The Chinatown Arch is optional I guess. :D

10 to 15 story buildings on every block in the core of the city... but still retain the existing facades for the lower most level.

Can you imagine Iona if the blocks were one massive building 12 stories in the air... but the current building facades still in place.

Archived