The 1 Thing I want to see DT would be?

gvsusean

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grocery Store/Meijer move into space close to the center of DT. IMO, the key would be to preserve a current structure.

Bike lanes.

One of the many parking lots converted into a quality, free skate park. I know liability is an issue, but other cities do it quite successfully.

Grocery Store/Meijer move into space close to the center of DT. IMO, the key would be to preserve a current structure.

Bike lanes.

One of the many parking lots converted into a quality, free skate park. I know liability is an issue, but other cities do it quite successfully.

Blue sky dreams:

1) People walking around, every day all day ...not just lunch time M-F and bar-time on weekends.

2) The new "Organic Meijer" or "Organic D&W" whereby Meijer and/or Spartan recognize the need for Organic/Natural groceries and decide to fill the niche that would otherwise be filled by the faceless corporations from Texas (Whole Foods) or California (Trader Joe's)

3) Global HQ of a Michigan company in a 500+ foot building downtown

Re parking, seems to me that waaaaaay back, Herps and / or Wurzburgs would give you vouchers for parking in the garage that is (was?) behind the Herps building (I guess that is now GRPD?). Do parking vouchers exist at all these days? If not, someone needs to get that going.

Since this is a "wish list" thread, I would like to see No Vehical days in downtown GR. This would mean that there would be no traffic from about Monroe through Ransom, or maybe College. And from, oh, 6th St. through Fulton. People would have to walk, or bike, or rollerblade to and from their destinations. Just to see what it would like to be dt with no traffic backed up anywhere, and no cars all over the place. It might slow us down a little bit too - realize we don't have to be in such a hurry.

I also like to eat at Weber Grill in Chicago, so that would work for me too.

I don't know where you'd put them, but I'd like to see some bars/restaurants right along the river bank. Nothing more relaxing than sitting on a deck and watching the river pass as you tip a cold one or two on a sunny day. Make sure they are all connected along a river walk and it would be beautiful.

I don't know where you'd put them, but I'd like to see some bars/restaurants right along the river bank. Nothing more relaxing than sitting on a deck and watching the river pass as you tip a cold one or two on a sunny day. Make sure they are all connected along a river walk and it would be beautiful.

When I visited San Diego last year, my friends and I took a really cool almost self-guided trolley tour from Coronado Island to Old San Diego for the day, and had a really cool tour of the city. Alhough I know that the differences between San Diego and GR are many, I still think that it would really be cool if GR could have something like that, someday.

Also, in DT San Diego, there was this large outdoor mall with every store imaginable, which seemed to be center of everything and brought a lot of tourists as well as locals to shop (the trolley stopped by there). I had a great time and it was awesome to shopping outside surrounded by tall buildings. I even have a postcard of it in my cubicle at work. :thumbsup:

Archived