Update.......Little Rock National Airport.

That would work both ways for LIT and BNA. BNA traffic has picked up on the DAL flights considerably in the last year and currently non stop flights are not allowed under the Wright Amend. from BNA to DAL. Plus, BNA would offer more connection choices for traffic out of LIT as BNA is a Southwest Focus City with mulitple connections north, east, south, and west daily.

So how would one now fly from BNA to DAL? What are the current connections? I had read that the newly agreed upon "amendment" to the Wright Amendment allowed thru-ticketing such that you could ticket once, say in BNA for DAL with a direct through LIT (not leaving the plane) - it was rumored this would really help LIT. Obviously this isn't currently what's happening, so I'm curious what is now in place.

I just read on Airliners.net that American has presumably dropped St. Louis flights from Little Rock in their winter timetable. Wow...no love lost from AA on LIT yet again...

I just don't understand AA's dislike for LR. No mainline service to Dallas and now they are going to drop St. Louis. I wonder what the reason is? They can't compete with SWA? They do to Dallas and Chicago. AA has treated LR like a stepchild for a while now.

Look at all of the other major carriers that fly out of LIT. Most fly to their hub cities: Delta to Atlanta (with some mainline), Cincinatti and Salt Lake City (no JFK); Continental to Houston and Newark (no Cleveland): NWA to Memphis (all mainline), Detroit and Minneapolis; and United coming in with Denver and Washington Dulles (no Los Angeles or San Francisco, yet). American flies to Dallas, Chicago and St. Louis (that's about to be dropped), no Miami (even though it will out of NWA).

I'm a AA frequent flyer and it makes me sick how they treat LIT. I'm going to Miami later this year and would love a direct flight. I know it would do well from LIT.

Everyone needs to fly United so they can quickly add service to LA. That's the big piece of the puzzle that LIT is missing

As far as AA treating LIT like a stepchild, I think we are more like just a dot on there map. If you want to talk to Stepchildern, talk to SJC, BNA, RNO, etc. Thoes poor places have just had there flights yanked like crazy from aa. But back to LIT. now that AA is returning 15 or so 757's, they will need other aircraft to fly thoes routes. Most of thoes were domestic routes so they will just pull MD-80's off routes so they can replace thoes routes that were flown with the 757's. LIT will have to stand in line for Mainline service form AA for a while. Maybe if they get the E-190 (like US), we will get mainline back. As for MIA, i would love it. it would make southam. connections 100 X's better. Im still at a loss as for why we dont have STL? but w.e.

I can see UA adding LAX service if the DEN and IAD serivice is sucessfull. I hope they do, cuz i need a LAX non stop.

oh well, lets just see what 2008 brings!

As far as AA treating LIT like a stepchild, I think we are more like just a dot on there map. If you want to talk to Stepchildern, talk to SJC, BNA, RNO, etc. Thoes poor places have just had there flights yanked like crazy from aa. But back to LIT. now that AA is returning 15 or so 757's, they will need other aircraft to fly thoes routes. Most of thoes were domestic routes so they will just pull MD-80's off routes so they can replace thoes routes that were flown with the 757's. LIT will have to stand in line for Mainline service form AA for a while. Maybe if they get the E-190 (like US), we will get mainline back. As for MIA, i would love it. it would make southam. connections 100 X's better. Im still at a loss as for why we dont have STL? but w.e.

I can see UA adding LAX service if the DEN and IAD serivice is sucessfull. I hope they do, cuz i need a LAX non stop.

oh well, lets just see what 2008 brings!

So, for example, what kinds of cuts did BNA (Nashville), SJC (San Jose) and RNO (Reno) experience?

Also, E-190's are nice, but that is NOT mainline service.

So, for example, what kinds of cuts did BNA (Nashville), SJC (San Jose) and RNO (Reno) experience?

Also, E-190's are nice, but that is NOT mainline service.

Nashville: Was a hub, then cut to just flights to DFW, MIA, ORD, STL, NYC, LAX.

San Jose: Hub, then sold its hub to Reno Air, then bought Reno Air. Kept the hub but at a reduced level, then morphed into a focus city. Now it has flights to DFW, ORD, AUS(nerd bird), and Southern Cali (on AE). I will admit that the death of it was the fact that the tech industry when down.

Reno: Reno Air hub, cut the hub, down to DFW and ORD.

I know that the E-190 isnt a mainline jet, but its better than the ERJ or CRJ that LIT always gets. Trust me when i say that LIT would just LOVE the E-190. Im not trying to say that all we deserve is the E-190, but i would love to get on anything but a ERJ or CRJ.

Nashville: Was a hub, then cut to just flights to DFW, MIA, ORD, STL, NYC, LAX.

San Jose: Hub, then sold its hub to Reno Air, then bought Reno Air. Kept the hub but at a reduced level, then morphed into a focus city. Now it has flights to DFW, ORD, AUS(nerd bird), and Southern Cali (on AE). I will admit that the death of it was the fact that the tech industry when down.

Reno: Reno Air hub, cut the hub, down to DFW and ORD.

I know that the E-190 isnt a mainline jet, but its better than the ERJ or CRJ that LIT always gets. Trust me when i say that LIT would just LOVE the E-190. Im not trying to say that all we deserve is the E-190, but i would love to get on anything but a ERJ or CRJ.

AA cut the flights out of and to BNA, but they maintain a large amount of frequencies here that are mainline. here is the current list of flights for a Tuesday here:

American Mainline

Dallas, TX American 334 08:33 AM Arrived

New York, NY American 1977 08:59 AM Arrived

Dallas, TX American 2082 11:50 AM Arrived

Miami, FL American 1024 01:15 PM Arrived

New York, NY American 2275 01:41 PM Arrived

Chicago, IL American 447 02:26 PM Arrived

Dallas, TX American 534 03:54 PM Arrived

Dallas, TX American 2196 03:57 PM Scheduled

Los Angeles, CA American 1974 05:56 PM Arrived

Dallas, TX American 2440 06:32 PM Arrived

Dallas, TX American 332 07:11 PM Arrived

Dallas, TX American 1788 09:04 PM Scheduled

New York, NY American 1551 10:10 PM Scheduled

Dallas, TX American 314 10:33 PM Scheduled

Miami, FL American 410 11:17 PM Scheduled

American Eagle

Chicago, IL American Eagle 166 08:21 AM Arrived

Washington, DC American Eagle 581 08:49 AM Arrived

Saint Louis, MO American Eagle 725 09:00 AM Arrived

Chicago, IL American Eagle 78 10:37 AM Arrived

Washington, DC American Eagle 590 12:07 PM Arrived

Chicago, IL American Eagle 125 12:46 PM Arrived

Washington, DC American Eagle 600 04:39 PM Arrived

Chicago, IL American Eagle 80 06:08 PM Arrived

Washington, DC American Eagle 574 08:20 PM Scheduled

Chicago, IL American Eagle 487 08:35 PM In Flight

Southwest has (unfortunatly) filled the domestic void that AA left here with close to 85 or 90 flights a day to various locations throughout the country. But having Southwest here does us less good than not having them in the long run.

As for the E190's, they are technically a mainline jet. They are marketed as a regional, but seating capacity of them (100-120 or so) pushes them over the "techincal" definition for a mainline jet. NW has the option on purchasing a fleet to act as mainline jets when they decide to dump some of the older DC-9's in the fleet. Their E175 that is flying for Compass Airlines is actually considered a mainline flight as wel as a mainline jet. Matter of fact, the pilots union had NW rework their contract to include the E175 and E190 into the mainline pilots contract.

Northwest Airlink (Compass Airlines) Embraer 175 @ BNA:

original.jpg

As for the E190's, they are technically a mainline jet. They are marketed as a regional, but seating capacity of them (100-120 or so) pushes them over the "techincal" definition for a mainline jet. NW has the option on purchasing a fleet to act as mainline jets when they decide to dump some of the older DC-9's in the fleet. Their E175 that is flying for Compass Airlines is actually considered a mainline flight as wel as a mainline jet. Matter of fact, the pilots union had NW rework their contract to include the E175 and E190 into the mainline pilots contract.

Northwest Airlink (Compass Airlines) Embraer 175 @ BNA:

original.jpg

It is a nice aircraft - beautiful in form, especially the nose - much more "modern" than the 737 in profile. However, though the seating capacity is similar to a DC-9 - the point is that it is not currently operated by the primary (mainline) carriers.

Lexy - how do traffic & connections compare between BNA and RDU, seeing as how they were once AA hub cities. I believe the MSA's are similar as well, correct (when you add back Durham which was given its own MSA in 2000)?

It is a nice aircraft - beautiful in form, especially the nose - much more "modern" than the 737 in profile. However, though the seating capacity is similar to a DC-9 - the point is that it is not currently operated by the primary (mainline) carriers.

Lexy - how do traffic & connections compare between BNA and RDU, seeing as how they were once AA hub cities. I believe the MSA's are similar as well, correct (when you add back Durham which was given its own MSA in 2000)?

I agree totally about the E190's. They are a very nice aircraft.

As for the connection question: I think it just depends on where you want to go persoanlly. I know the flights on AA here at BNA are timed so that they meet international flights at the AA hubs (NYC, ORD, MIA, and DFW). The ORD flights are timed to meet the Asian flights and some European. The NYC flights are almost all European timed flights, Miami is defintaly Central American traffic. Dallas is just traffic in general with a good amount of domestic connections happening there. I guess it just depends on where you want to go and how cheap you can get there. As to RDU, well they have the one flight to London and that's basically it. All their other mainline flights look about like ours. I wish I could help you more on the RDU aspect but my knowledge is limited on them. I do know that on WN, connections are obviously easier here than RDU.

Having studied Arkansas Aviation last year (State Airport System Plan) it was very intersting to see the service levels at the airports in the state. XNA with AA is a unique example and cannot really be compared. The AA fares out of XNA often exceed $600 r/t and the fact that they can get that kind of premium is whats drives the additional flights. AA is a shrinking airline, nothing drastic, but with no new planes for AA mainline or eagle, dont expect anything new from them.

LIT Opportunities:

AA - perhaps a DFW upgrade for a mainline for 1-2 of the flights

DL - LAX on CR7/9 also perhaps a 2nd SLC flight (RJ)

US - add PHX/LAS/PHL (all CR7/E170, 1-2x each)

WN - Ive often wondered why BNA hasnt been added yet, esp with the Wright amendemnt changes, also i think they could have additional MDW and BWi flights, however WN is slowing growth, so maybe not too much from them besides 2-3x BNA flights that continue onto DAL

CO- perhaps an additional EWR, and maybe 1-2 of the IAH flights can get upgraded to a 737

NW - maybe 2nd RJ flights to DTW and MSP perhaps using the larger RJs (CR9/E175)

UA- add frequency/upgrade aircraft over time (IAD/DEN)

I dont see Jetblue going to LIT any time soon, but Airtran may be in the cards in the 5 year time frame, but not the immediate future) 3x ATL 1x MCO 1x FLL 1x TPA

As far as other Arkansas Airports go...

FSM - hopefully the new DL service will be sucessful (their 3rd airline)

TXK - Hopefully they can land a 3rd airline (NW or DL) and maybe get some additional AA and CO flights

XNA - they dont have much chance for an LCC, they are too small for B6, WN is right next door at TUL, FL is a maybe but they are small for them too. In the event of a large scale LCC invasion, id expect to see the tradiational AA massive retreat like they have done so many other places

JBR/ELD/HRO/HOT - all have B1900 flights, but it would be nice to see them offer code shares on these flights so they can get better usage.

Mountain Home (BPK) has a grant to get air service back, I actually have a magnet given to be my the airoprt manager that says "flight begin 3/1/06" (regions air J-31s to STL) but it hasnt happened yet and im not holding my breath.

Having studied Arkansas Aviation last year (State Airport System Plan) it was very intersting to see the service levels at the airports in the state. XNA with AA is a unique example and cannot really be compared. The AA fares out of XNA often exceed $600 r/t and the fact that they can get that kind of premium is whats drives the additional flights. AA is a shrinking airline, nothing drastic, but with no new planes for AA mainline or eagle, dont expect anything new from them.

LIT Opportunities:

WN - Ive often wondered why BNA hasnt been added yet, esp with the Wright amendemnt changes, also i think they could have additional MDW and BWi flights, however WN is slowing growth, so maybe not too much from them besides 2-3x BNA flights that continue onto DAL

CO- perhaps an additional EWR, and maybe 1-2 of the IAH flights can get upgraded to a 737

NW - maybe 2nd RJ flights to DTW and MSP perhaps using the larger RJs (CR9/E175)

I dont see Jetblue going to LIT any time soon, but Airtran may be in the cards in the 5 year time frame, but not the immediate future) 3x ATL 1x MCO 1x FLL 1x TPA

TXK - Hopefully they can land a 3rd airline (NW or DL) and maybe get some additional AA and CO flights

XNA - they dont have much chance for an LCC, they are too small for B6, WN is right next door at TUL, FL is a maybe but they are small for them too. In the event of a large scale LCC invasion, id expect to see the tradiational AA massive retreat like they have done so many other places

JBR/ELD/HRO/HOT - all have B1900 flights, but it would be nice to see them offer code shares on these flights so they can get better usage.

Mountain Home (BPK) has a grant to get air service back, I actually have a magnet given to be my the airoprt manager that says "flight begin 3/1/06" (regions air J-31s to STL) but it hasnt happened yet and im not holding my breath.

Perhaps a pipe-dream, but one possible addition is the talk of direct flights to Mexico via AeroMexico or something to that effect.

XNA is such a strange, strange case.

Northwest Arkansas (the current 4 county metro region) may be about to add two counties in Oklahoma which will push that metropolitan area's population to a smidgen below 500,000 at current year estimates. And the airport STILL looks like a crackerbox. (Sorry, JMO, but it does.)

LIT Opportunities:

Thats the best idea for LIT that i have seen. I could see all of thoes possibly becoming reality in the next 2 to 3 years. If or when southwest ventures into a smaller aircraft, i could see them adding routes out of LIT. But we have all seen how things have gone to hell at jetblue since they have added the 190's. And as for them, i doubt we see them anytime soon. We are just way to small to have their service. maybe in the next 5 to 10 years if they are still around. Again, AA is just being AA. they are only so big in XNA due to the yeilds thanks to Walmart and the fact that there is no LCC in XNA.

I have a really good feeling(as told from people i know) that Southwest will add BNA to LIT in the next year. It should be 2 or 3 daily. I wish they would add another chicago flight, but they do thoes onestops routed LIT-STL-MDW. BWI? hopefully another flight, and LAS? PLEASE!!!!!

Again, the rest sound great. I would love US to PHX and PHL(even though they are a mess up there) on the CRJ-900 or E-190. DL to LAX would be awsome, but im counting on UA before DL when it comes to LAX service.

Lets just hope the service level keeps status quo!

According to the Ark Times rag, someone at the airport has stated that there is "some" interest in a LIT to Cancun direct flight. I somehow find this hard to believe, but it would be nice nonetheless.

One would think this is a stretch, but the blurb did mention that it was Frontier who is considering this flight, and that the information was coming from several sources.

Andres Chao (the Mexican consul general) gave a speech to the Arkansas Committee on Foreign Relations on August 27th.

During his speech Monday, Chao said negotiations are under way to establish a non-stop flight from Little Rock to Cancun, Mexico, sometime next year. Another flight from Little Rock to Guadalajara, Mexico, is being considered, he said.

Andres Chao (the Mexican consul general) gave a speech to the Arkansas Committee on Foreign Relations on August 27th.

During his speech Monday, Chao said negotiations are under way to establish a non-stop flight from Little Rock to Cancun, Mexico, sometime next year. Another flight from Little Rock to Guadalajara, Mexico, is being considered, he said.

Cool. No doubt, there is weight behind this giving it credibility.

No it's not. The E170's don't fly to CUN only the A319's.

Im aware that right now their CUN portfolio is all A319s, im a little concerned that it may be too much airplane for LIT-CUN. CUN is more vacation oriented than demographicly oriented. LIT doesnt seem to have an abundant vacation/resort passenger base as evidenced by only one 50-seat RJ to the entire state of Florida.

If i was Fronteir and had the choice, id start with the E170 then upgrade, rather than start with the A319 and risk loosing the service 3-6 months later.

Im aware that right now their CUN portfolio is all A319s, im a little concerned that it may be too much airplane for LIT-CUN. CUN is more vacation oriented than demographicly oriented. LIT doesnt seem to have an abundant vacation/resort passenger base as evidenced by only one 50-seat RJ to the entire state of Florida.

If i was Fronteir and had the choice, id start with the E170 then upgrade, rather than start with the A319 and risk loosing the service 3-6 months later.

While it is a good idea to start with smaller aircraft, the E170 couldn't do it because it's not certified to fly over the ocean like that. It doesn't have the range and it doesn't have the proper safety devices to accomplish flights like this. Plus, that's just too lucrative of a market for a small jet like that. If, and it's a big "IF", they start it it would be on a A319 and as it stands now Frontier doesn't even fly mainline's into LIT.

Continental just announced 2 daily flights to Cleveland starting in the spring...

In early 2008, Continental will add 27 new flights to 12 new nonstop destinations including:

New Destination Frequency Effective Date

Greensboro, N.C. (GSO) Three times daily March 3, 2008

Omaha, Neb. (OMA) Three times daily March 3, 2008

Savannah, Ga. (SAV) Twice daily March 3, 2008

Birmingham, Ala. (BHM) Twice daily April 6, 2008

Charleston, S.C. (CHS) Once daily April 6, 2008

Green Bay, Wis. (GRB) Twice daily April 6, 2008

Tulsa, Okla. (TUL) Twice daily April 6, 2008

Little Rock, Ark. (LIT) Twice daily May 4, 2008

Memphis, Tenn. (MEM) Twice daily May 4, 2008

Lansing, Mich. (LAN) Three times daily May 4, 2008

Des Moines, Iowa (DSM) Twice daily June 12, 2008

Kalamazoo, Mich. (AZO) Three times daily June 12, 2008

Continental just announced 2 daily flights to Cleveland starting in the spring...

In early 2008, Continental will add 27 new flights to 12 new nonstop destinations including:

New Destination Frequency Effective Date

Greensboro, N.C. (GSO) Three times daily March 3, 2008

Omaha, Neb. (OMA) Three times daily March 3, 2008

Savannah, Ga. (SAV) Twice daily March 3, 2008

Birmingham, Ala. (BHM) Twice daily April 6, 2008

Charleston, S.C. (CHS) Once daily April 6, 2008

Green Bay, Wis. (GRB) Twice daily April 6, 2008

Tulsa, Okla. (TUL) Twice daily April 6, 2008

Little Rock, Ark. (LIT) Twice daily May 4, 2008

Memphis, Tenn. (MEM) Twice daily May 4, 2008

Lansing, Mich. (LAN) Three times daily May 4, 2008

Des Moines, Iowa (DSM) Twice daily June 12, 2008

Kalamazoo, Mich. (AZO) Three times daily June 12, 2008

Very nice! This adds a new destination for LIT.

Do you know if any of the new destinations from Cleveland are mainline?